INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video buffering issues  (Read 1625 times)

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
Video buffering issues
« on: May 25, 2016, 09:03:15 am »

I use JRiver also for music video (MKV-files up to 1080p). Usually I play from a USB external drive and that is fine. However, I also want to use the MKV files on my QNAP NAS. But now there are very frequent buffering issues, in particular with 1080 files. The reason is - probably - that the QNAP is not so fast and my MAC Book Pro is on wifi. Where in JRiver can I find settings for caching of video. There are many settings for audio. Any suggestions to make the playout from the NAS as smooth as from the external HDD. Thx.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Video buffering issues
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 09:22:14 am »

As far as I know, there aren't any settings to cache files locally, or to use large buffers.  You're experiencing a network problem, so you should target a network based fix.

You could use ethernet to wire the Macbook Pro and the QNAP to your network.  That would almost certainly speed everything up.  Powerline networking is convenient when it's hard to run cables from place to place.  Some powerline networking is pretty fast.

You could try installing Wifi range extenders at one or both ends, depending upon which part has a slow wifi connection.  Or you might be able to adjust positioning of antennas, or maybe change channels to improve reception.

Good luck!

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up