INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC 21 itunes playlist sync folder name overwites everything  (Read 10625 times)

Zentish

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...

My MC library has over 19000 tracks and I support 4 IOS devices: 3 iphones and an ipad which are used by my entire family. Switching off of iphones is not really an option for me.
I run my main MC network server on a virtual computer running under VMWARE ESXi so it's always on and available, not on my main desktop.
I'm obviously forced to run itunes on my main desktop to manage my IOS devices over USB.
I normally run MC21 in remote media server mode, but cannot sync anything from it or even export my playlists to itunes on my desktop in that mode.
So I load the main MC21 library on my main desktop, which opens it up in read-only mode because the network server is running all the time.
When I export my family's playlists to itunes using the FILE->export to itunes  menu option the dialog pops up with a default name of Media Center\<playlist name> and the Replace Existing checkbox set.
If I take the default setting each and every time I export a playlist it over-writes the folder and old playlist with the new playlist. I can export 10 playlists from MC, then go to itunes and all I see is the last playlist.
If I remove the "replace existing" checkbox and sync I end up with duplicate playlists.
If I remove the "Media Center\" from the name it seems to "do the right thing", so there's that.

But... I need to export ~20 playlists at a sitting, and removing the "Media Center\" string from the name of every playlist is more than cumbersome, in fact, avoid such a mundane and repetitive task activity is exactly why I bought a computer.

This is quite a frustrating experience. Yes, I do understand that a lot of the challenges are the fault of APPLES's closed ecosystem.

My question/request is this: Can MC remember that I don't want to use the "Media Center/" prefix to the playlist name or let me set a default prefix somewhere to make my mundane task go a little easier?

Matt

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Shoes gone again!
Re: MC 21 itunes playlist sync folder name overwites everything
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 06:58:07 am »

So I want to be sure I'm following.

iTunes exports the playlist with the name Media Center\ at the front?

And then when you import the playlist into Media Center it takes that name as the root of the playlist path?

Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 07:06:39 am »

Have you considered using an alternative sync program for your i-devices?  Contrary to what I have thought for years, you do not need itunes to sync to your i-devices.  Alternatives exist; some are free.

So you could easily set up Handheld Sync from MC, and have it sync to a directory structure.  Then using an alternative sync program, those files would go to your i-devices.  Handheld sync supports playlists, so it both copies the files, and copies the playlists themselves.

I don't have any i-devices anymore, so I haven't tried this.  It just seems like a good idea in theory.  It's an extension of what I do with my Android phone and my other SD card based handheld players.

Brian.

Zentish

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 11:31:48 pm »

So I want to be sure I'm following.

iTunes exports the playlist with the name Media Center\ at the front?

And then when you import the playlist into Media Center it takes that name as the root of the playlist path?

Thanks.

Not exactly. Media center 21 exports the playlist to the itunes playlist tab, which supports folders, with the prefix "Media Center/" followed by the name of the playlist. If directed to over-write existing playlists, MC21 over-writes the folder and deletes any playlist already in the folder (inside itunes). If the over-write directive is not selected, MC21 creates a duplicate playlist (in itunes) when a playlist with the same name is exported.

Zentish

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 11:33:29 pm »

Have you considered using an alternative sync program for your i-devices?  Contrary to what I have thought for years, you do not need itunes to sync to your i-devices.  Alternatives exist; some are free.

So you could easily set up Handheld Sync from MC, and have it sync to a directory structure.  Then using an alternative sync program, those files would go to your i-devices.  Handheld sync supports playlists, so it both copies the files, and copies the playlists themselves.

I don't have any i-devices anymore, so I haven't tried this.  It just seems like a good idea in theory.  It's an extension of what I do with my Android phone and my other SD card based handheld players.

Brian.

I've not had very good luck with itunes-alikes. I understood that Apple just upgrades the device security and locks everyone out every 6 months or so...

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2016, 08:17:25 am »

I've not had very good luck with itunes-alikes. I understood that Apple just upgrades the device security and locks everyone out every 6 months or so...

That's not the impression I get from reading thread after thread here with people recommending various alternatives.  But I have no direct experience, so take my opinion for what it's worth.  :)

Brian.

Zentish

• Recent member
  • nothing more to say...
« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 02:06:48 am »

I tend to agree with the sentiment that Apple has created a very closed ecosystem. It has some security advantages (like less malware in the store), but the integration challenges are ... challenging. It leaves me wishing for something better, but realistic that I'm likely to just have to make do. I find the MC21 integration with itunes to be fine (with the folder overwrite "feature/bug" the one exception). MCIS doesn't work for me and I'm not interested in dealing with an itunes-alike. I'm trying to figure out the best way to make MC21 my primary media manager but use itunes to manage my iPhone sync.

I was hoping a dev would chime in and say "oh that's a bug, let's fix it in MC22!"

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 06:48:37 am »

Have you thought about switching to an Android phone?
Pages: [1]   Go Up