INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Engen Setup  (Read 4698 times)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Engen Setup
« on: May 26, 2016, 11:16:17 am »

Ok, so I got the following hardware yesterday:

Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave LED Light Bulb, Gen5

Aeon Labs Aeotec Z-Wave Z-Stick, Gen5 (ZW090)

I got the LED light and the Z Stick paired, and installed Aeon Lab's driver for the Z-Stick. Looks ok in Windows 10 manager, the Z-stick is on COM5 and has a UBZ driver.

However, Engen can't find the Z-Stick. It says "Error installing service. Check to see Z-stick is installed and functioning"

Also, I can't find a log file. I looked here (C ProgramData J River Engen 1) and the folder didn't exist. I made a new folder with that path. Still no luck finding a log file.\

Any tips?

My next troubleshooting step is to install a program called OpenRemote to make sure the hardware actually works, the lights appear to be blinking correctly but you never know.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Engen/Z-stick Setup
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2016, 11:20:31 am »

Ok, tried setting up the Z-Stick on a different computer, the Z-stick is on COM3 and has a UBZ driver. Now there is a log file, so I found that. Although no error message pops up, this appears in the log each time I run Engen:

2016-05-26 11:18:01: main:The zdriver failed to initialize: 'No serial device found'.  Aborting...
2016-05-26 11:18:01: main:Leaving start_from_service

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Engen Setup
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2016, 11:23:06 am »

This is a long shot, but my Z-Stick is white and the one is the RasPi photo is blue, a previous incarnation of the Z-Stick. Maybe Engen can't find the Gen5 model?

Thanks for putting me on the Beta team. I now fully sympathize with y'all spending $75,000 to turn on the lights!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2016, 11:35:58 am »

Thank you!

Both colors should work.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2016, 11:39:07 am »

Try a re-install.  The firewall should get opened.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2016, 12:55:47 pm »

Tried a reinstall of Engen and the Z-Wave Driver (following these instructions https://aeotec.freshdesk.com/support/solutions/articles/6000034892-install-z-stick-gen5-drivers-inf-on-windows)

Still get the same error message in the log. Also, didn't get an open firewall request, I think Engen hangs when it can't find the Z-Stick.

2016-05-26 12:48:19: main:The zdriver failed to initialize: 'No serial device found'.  Aborting...
2016-05-26 12:48:19: main:Leaving start_from_service
2016-05-26 12:48:28: main:The zdriver failed to initialize: 'No serial device found'.  Aborting...
2016-05-26 12:48:28: main:Leaving start_from_service
2016-05-26 12:52:28: main:The zdriver failed to initialize: 'No serial device found'.  Aborting...
2016-05-26 12:52:28: main:Leaving start_from_service

I will test the Z-stick with another program next, but let me know if there is anything else to try with Engen.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2016, 01:02:50 pm »

It should have asked about the firewall. 

Can you try another USB port?

You could try deleting the device in Device Manager (under ports) and see if it is picked up.

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2016, 01:11:00 pm »

I am finding my 5th Gen Z-Wave stick to be a bit challenging also. I have seen it and my outlet (Aeon Smart Switch) node in the Aeon Labs utility. I have yet to see it in Engen.  

Once I can see it in the AL utility I shut down the utility and fire up Engen and it does not find it. If I then exit the Engen and restart the AL utility the AL utility can not find either device, or finds something but cannot communicate with it.

I spent a bit of time with this last night and will continue tonight. I will try different scenarios using Engen and the AL utility doing a factory reset to the devices in between.

As far as the firewall goes, i did not see anything ask for permission either, but the AL utility was able to see it.

During my testing last night I tried 3 USB ports, resetting to factory defaults, different COM ports and made sure the two programs were not trying to access the device at the same time.

Ken  
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
Re: Engen Setup (solved by switching usb ports for Z-Stick)
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2016, 01:18:21 pm »

Thanks for the input. I think I solved it for now.

Ok, for me the USB port for the Z-Stick was the problem. Seems to be pretty finicky about the power or something, only 1 port out of 2 on my htpc computer worked, and none on my laptop worked.

I also did a factory reset to the Z-Stick with a paperclip, so maybe that was also part of the solution.

I still didn't get a firewall request on the install, but I do have MC 21 installed so maybe the correct port was already open.

Thanks again, I'm looking forward to trying out the commands and reporting back.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2016, 01:26:59 pm »

Great.  I think the port needs to be powered.

Run Engen (this puts an icon in the system tray)

Right click on the icon for options.  I usually open both the web page and the terminal.

In the terminal Window, type list_nodes()  . This gives you a list of what is on the network.  1 is the controller.  If you were successful in pairing, you will also see a 2 with a couple of brackets.  It's a little cryptic.

Or in the Web Browser, you can also list the nodes.

In the terminal window, type basic_set(2,100) to turn the bulb on and basic_set(2,0) to turn it off.  I'm assuming your bulb's node is 2.

Once you've proved that works, try sending the commands from a browser.  You can right click on the web page to copy a URL and then edit the node and value.

Once that works, you can use OneRemote to make a switch button.  Instructions are in another thread.

drmimosa

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2016, 01:38:20 pm »

Boom!!! Got it, that's magic.

Thanks JimH!

Command Line and Web browser works for this bulb. I'll try a OneRemote button next.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2016, 01:39:01 pm »

Yea!

JohnT

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2016, 04:45:16 pm »

When it's not finding the Z-stick, I usually check Device Manager to see if it's listed under "Ports" with a COM number.  If not, try re-installing the driver.  Here's what my white Gen5 Z-Stick shows up as:

John Thompson, JRiver Media Center

kensn

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2016, 01:58:07 pm »

Installed my Z-Wave stick into my HTPC and everything worked well and was really stable. Was able to use the Command Line instructions to query and control the outlet. Not sure what is interfering in my Main PC. A very bare bones Win 10 on the HTPC with just MC and couple other programs. Main PC is a Win 7 box with ... well.. a bunch of stuff installed.  ;D

Ken
If(IsEmpty([Coffee Cup]), Coffee, Drink)

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2016, 05:54:03 pm »

Good news!
Pages: [1]   Go Up