INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: When I delete a movie, why does the directory remain?  (Read 2461 times)

Agent86

• Recent member
When I delete a movie, why does the directory remain?
« on: May 27, 2016, 05:37:12 pm »

When I watch a movie that I doubt I will watch again, I delete it. I end up with lots of empty directories. Why doesn't JRiver also delete the directory the movie was in?

Thanks.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: When I delete a movie, why does the directory remain?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 05:37:01 am »

When I delete a Movie, I get a popup message asking if I want to delete the empty folder.

Could the popup message be coming up behind MC screen - so you are missing it?
When you delete a Movie is the folder now completely empty (check with Windows Explorer)?

Vocalpoint

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 10:20:45 am »

When I watch a movie that I doubt I will watch again, I delete it. I end up with lots of empty directories. Why doesn't JRiver also delete the directory the movie was in?Thanks.

I noticed this too - until I really looked with Windows Explorer and saw there there were in fact other files out there like sidecars etc. Or even worse are the hidden "folder.jpg" or desktop.ini files hiding there from the from the old Windows Media Player/Media Center behavior.

You would do well to ensure you are exposing every possible thing when looking in these folders - ensure that Win explorer is showing all system and hidden files.

If you see a bunch of hidden junk in a folder - MC is doing what it should - which is to not delete a folder unless it is truly empty.

VP

Agent86

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2016, 04:46:30 pm »

Thanks for that VP. However the folders almost always start with only the movie file and anything else in there at time of deletion will be as a result of JR cataloguing the movie.

I would have thought JR would look at what remains and know that it created what was left so would delete or ask to delete it.

Thanks again.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 05:37:50 pm »

It does ask me if I want to delete empty folders, at least when using the Rename, Move & Copy Files function.

I can't remember if that message has a flag allowing me to not see the message again. But if it does, and you have ticked that flag previously, maybe you can get the message back using;

Options>General>Advanced>Reset all confirmation messages

Just be aware that you will see all those messages you have hidden in the past again.

However I just did a quick test and MC deleted all files associated with a TV recording including a sidecar file and Cover Art plus the directory it was in, without asking a question. So that may be the default behaviour and there may be no message. But it is working for me correctly.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 05:39:57 pm »

I can't remember if that message has a flag allowing me to not see the message again. But if it does, and you have ticked that flag previously, maybe you can get the message back using;

Options>General>Advanced>Reset all confirmation messages

It does have a confirmation dialog, and you can tell it not to ask anymore.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

Vocalpoint

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 11:31:53 am »

I would have thought JR would look at what remains and know that it created what was left so would delete or ask to delete it.Thanks again.

While that sounds logical - how exactly would JRiver know what files it's created vs what I created?

I could easily create a file to be identical in size and name as any file that MC creates. I would be VERY annoyed if MC decided to suddenly drop an entire folder if their was anything manually created inside them.

VP
Pages: [1]   Go Up