INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: transfer library from windows to OS X  (Read 1958 times)

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
transfer library from windows to OS X
« on: May 28, 2016, 09:20:21 am »

Hi all
I have received a late 2009 Mac mini from a friend and I am starting to find my way around OS X. I have been using JRiver for windows for many years and I have a large library sitting on a Synology NAS that I would like to copy to the mac mini's JRiver. JRiver on the mac mini should access the same music files on the Sinology.
Why don't I just import the files into the mac mini's JRiver?
I have around 1'000 SACD ISOs, which are tagged for artist, album, genre and year and I would hate to lose that information.
Is there any way to do this, e.g. by using the windows JRiver library backup?
Thanks a lot

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: transfer library from windows to OS X
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2016, 09:37:06 am »

MC21 for Mac, for the last 3 or 4 months, has had a feature that converts the windows path separators (\) to Mac path separators (/).  I think it's automatic, but I can't remember.  I know there are some options in the Rename, Move, and Copy files tool that will do some additional conversions.  Maybe removing the drive letter?

So you can definitely back up your library on from Windows MC and then restore that library on Mac MC.  You may have to use the RM&C tool to fix the path prefix to the NAS.  But you should definitely be able to get there.

Because these are SACDs, there's an additional issue of the ";1, ;2, ;3" file names which aren't really file names.  I'm not sure how they will transfer.  The second post in this thread seems to show how to fix these issues:

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=96837.0

Good luck.

Brian.

jacobacci

• Galactic Citizen
Re: transfer library from windows to OS X
« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2016, 11:19:54 am »

Thanks, Brian
I'm lucky you helped me convert all the ISOs to DSF and copy the tags across. THANK YOU again.
If I don't manage to transfer the library, I can always import everything except the ISOs. The Mac mini is connected to a two channel only DAC, so the DSFs will do just fine in case of problems.
Regards
Rudi
Pages: [1]   Go Up