INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Does synchronization work?  (Read 1847 times)

Werner

• Junior Woodchuck
Does synchronization work?
« on: May 30, 2016, 08:04:58 am »

I don’t understand synchronization.

Here is, what I thought: I set up my handheld (or a directory onn my hard disk) for synchronization. I have a playlist which contains the files I want to have on the handheld. I fill this playlist and synchronize. Now all the tracks vom the playlist are on my handheld. Later on I change the list (add or delete some tracks), synchronize and my handheld has the tracks which are in the playlist.

What I get from JRiver is: I set up my handheld (or a directory onn my hard disk) for synchronization. I have a playlist which contains the files I want to have on the handheld. I fill this playlist and synchronize. Now all the tracks vom the playlist are on my handheld. (Up to this point all is OK.) Later on I change the list (delete some tracks), synchronize and -- my handheld has the same tracke as before. The synchronization didn’t delete the tracks I deleted from the playlist, but it deleted all the tracks on the handheld and put them back to the same place. So no change happened.

I don’t understand what this means. Something must be wrong. But what?

EDIT: Aha. I found in the Wiki: »By default, Media Center will add new files to your device, but does not remove any files that it already finds there. If you want Media Center to completely manage the device, and remove any files that don't match the Sync Lists selected, then check this option.« And later: »Warning: If you enable this option, all files on your device that are not included in one of the selected Sync Playlists will be deleted on the next sync to the device.« This is not true. But I see that the intention is that it works as I expected. This means at least that’ snot me who is wrong...

EDIT2: Aha. I see. I tried the same scenario in Windows and - it works as expected. So the problem is that I have a Mac. And the Mac version seems to be slightly crippled. OK. That’s it.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Does synchronization work?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2016, 08:26:34 am »

Regarding the option "Delete from handheld any files not in sync list":

EDIT2: Aha. I see. I tried the same scenario in Windows and - it works as expected. So the problem is that I have a Mac. And the Mac version seems to be slightly crippled. OK. That’s it.

I'm not sure what's going on with your exact setup, but I just tested this and it works as expected.  I synced a playlist and it converted files and copied them.  Then I deleted a file from that playlist.  On the next sync, it deleted the file that was no longer in the playlist.

Something seems to be a bit odd with Handheld Sync in the last few versions.  I haven't nailed it down since I don't use handheld sync much.  But there seems to be an issue with detecting handhelds.  I'm doing all of my current testing to a folder on my main disk, which is never removed.  So the detection issue doesn't affect my testing.  I wonder if it would be different if I was syncing to a removable drive?

Brian.

Werner

• Junior Woodchuck
Re: Does synchronization work?
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2016, 11:19:18 am »

The odd thing is: Sometimes it works, sometimes not. You never know.I just tested it once more: The first time JRiver copied the files to the SD-Card, next test : it deleted the right files from the SD-Card. Next test: It copied some files to the SD-Card. Now I deleted some tracks from the lost and JRiver let where they were on the card. Now in every sync they are marked with »Already on the handheld« and that’s it. Now JRiver doesn’t delete anymore a file. It doesn’t help to eject the SD-Car, to restart JRiver or to restart the Mac. It doesn’t work.
Pages: [1]   Go Up