INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Experience with id over time  (Read 3818 times)

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
Experience with id over time
« on: May 30, 2016, 08:48:08 pm »

I love the idea of set-it-and-forget it, using a phone/tablet to control once things are running, but my experience with Android (Gizmo and JRemote) is that they're not as stable and feature-rich to perform many tasks (playlist creation/editing, etc.) to rely on it as the primary interface. I'm having terrible issues with casting in both apps, with different results, and JRemote crashing straight up.

Anyone want to share their real-world experiences? Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Experience with id over time
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2016, 07:03:38 am »

I have had some problems with Chromecast that were solved by removing the device and plugging it in again.  It was hanging under some circumstances.

This2ShallPass

• World Citizen
  • "I picked a helluva day to install MC!"
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2016, 07:14:58 am »

Thanks, I do that from time to time as well, as it's the only way to get updates from Google. My problems are consistent, which seem to point to the software.

With Gizmo, I can launch some songs to play, and then choose the cast icon, and it launches a separate stream (now playing one on my Android phone, another through the cast), and the phone's controls are for the casting version of music(!), not the phone. Only closing the app makes the phone stop blaring.

With JRemote, I can launch some songs to play, and then choose the cast icon, the app will report, "Unfortunately, JRemote crashed" and the song that started will end normally, and no others will play.

I realize these details need to be discussed in the "remotes" board, but I'm leery of getting an id if I can't get reasonable functionality from the interface I'd likely be using.

DJLegba

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 07:47:47 am »

JRemote on my Android phone has trouble playing to "This device". I get one track and then have to restart JRemote. I think there is a real problem with JRemote for Android when using it for local playback (which would include casting). However, it does work very well controlling playback through Chromecast if you use BubbleUPnP.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2016, 08:24:33 am »

What happens if Chromecast isn't used?  Does it work then?

DJLegba

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2016, 08:25:47 am »

No, JRemote Android is a one-and-done when playing to "This device" without the Chromecast.

emovac

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2016, 05:01:52 pm »

I love the idea of set-it-and-forget it, using a phone/tablet to control once things are running, but my experience with Android (Gizmo and JRemote) is that they're not as stable and feature-rich to perform many tasks (playlist creation/editing, etc.) to rely on it as the primary interface. I'm having terrible issues with casting in both apps, with different results, and JRemote crashing straight up.

Anyone want to share their real-world experiences? Thanks!

Don't know if the Android control could be the issue or not.  I have an earlier version ID 202 (Celeron NUC) which is usable as a server and renderer.  Contol via ipad, iphone through jremote.  Works as a library to my networked computer as well.  Even my first gen ipad with OS5 works with it as a controller.  One of my more reliable networked pieces of equipment.  If it were Roon Ready it would be perfect!

Do you have an ipad to test with it?  Is your Id firmware at the most current version?
Pages: [1]   Go Up