INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Trouble Deleting Files in JRiver [Solved]  (Read 4652 times)

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
Trouble Deleting Files in JRiver [Solved]
« on: May 27, 2016, 04:45:44 pm »

Hi, I am having some technical difficulties. After upgrading to a new computer and JRiver version 21, I am having problems deleting some files. When I delete a song from the library, I get this error message:

"There was a problem deleting files. Please ensure that the files are not in use by another program and that the files have delete permissions."
[Retry] [Cancel]

The file gets removed from the library, but remains on the disk (even though I told JRiver to send it to the Recycle Bin). However; I CAN delete the file using Windows Explorer. The attributes of the file are not set to "read only".

Besides the obvious annoyance, I am concerned this is a harbinger of other issues as I am not sure the "changing of computers"/upgrading/importing worked correctly. I switched from v.18 to v.21 by installing (and upgrading through) 19 then 20 then 21 on the old computer, then copying that library backup file to my new computer and trying to replicate the file path on the new computer. It seemed to work, but now I have this issue.

Any advice?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Trouble Deleting Files in JRiver...
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2016, 04:56:35 pm »

Are you using just one PC?  Or are you using MC in client/server mode?

If the files or their parent directories are read-only, that's what you might see.  I know you said the files weren't.

In MC, what is the full path of the file?  If you copy that it in Explorer, does it work?

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2016, 05:38:06 pm »

I suspect that you have moved a whole drive from one computer to another.  If so, I suspect that the user on your new computer does not *own* the files on the old drive.  In which case you need to take ownership of the entire drive, or at least of the folder that contains all of your music.  There are lots of tutorials on how to do this.  Here's one:

http://www.techfleece.com/2011/05/15/how-to-take-ownership-of-files-or-folders-or-an-entire-hard-drive/

Or maybe I'm totally off base.

Brian.

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 05:43:41 pm »

Thanks as always for the rapid reply!

> Are you using just one PC?  Or are you using MC in client/server mode?

Just one PC.

> If the files or their parent directories are read-only, that's what you might see.  I know you said the files weren't.

I just rechecked. The files are not read only. However; the directories ARE read only (well, the box was filled in, not checked. Not sure what that means). Using Windows Explorer, under the folder properties (I'm on Win7 Pro) I set the folder to NOT read only (there are 3 choices: checked, unchecked/empty, and the one where the box looks filled. I picked unchecked.) Windows spent a bit of time supposedly making everything not read only, but when I checked the folder properties after it was finished, it was still set to "the box is filled". I hope that makes sense.

I then tested it and still have the problem.

> In MC, what is the full path of the file?  If you copy that it in Explorer, does it work?

Yes, the MC path and Windows Explorer path agree with each other.

[edit] I just looked it up. The "box filled in" means not read only. So I guess that's not the problem. Any other ideas?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2016, 06:03:03 pm »

This sounds like a permissions or ownership problem.  Did you try an Internet search?

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 09:54:05 am »

This sounds like a permissions or ownership problem.  Did you try an Internet search?

It does.

If you moved the physical disk where the files were stored from the old computer to the new computer, the files will still be owned by the user on the old computer, and the user on the new computer will have read-only access to them.

There are links in the wiki for fixing these kinds of issues:
http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Troubleshooting_Disks#Filesystem_Permissions_Errors

You'll probably need to take ownership of the folders at the "top" of the drive, and all subfolders and files. Then you might also need to fix the permissions.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2016, 06:40:04 pm »

Thanks for all your replies. Sorry it took a bit to get back.

It sounded like the "ownership" thing may be the issue. Originally, I copied all the files and folders off the old computer d: drive (where my media files are) to a new drive. I put this new drive as the d: drive in the new computer, hoping I could use the library backup from the old computer on the new computer without having to re-import everything (hey, the paths should all be the same, right?). It mostly worked, though I have this "permissions" issue when deleting files.

However; I used the link provided by Brian (thanks!) and changed the permissions on the drive and, except for some "access is denied" error messages on system volume information stuff, I was able to change ownership.

Unfortunately, the problem remains.

So... should I make a library backup, then re-import everything? Will I lose data? Or should I try something else?

TIA!

glynor

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2016, 09:49:07 pm »

You need to take ownership of all of the files on the drive (as shown in Brian's link, though that is for older versions of Windows, and I wouldn't do it to the whole root drive volume), but that may not be enough. Windows filesystem permissions include an Owner (this user can control the permissions set on the files) and then a separate set of privileges control which users are able to read, modify, or otherwise mess with the files. Setting the Owner only changes the former, and leaves the latter untouched. Your user can own the files, but not have permission to read or modify them.

By default, Windows typically adds Full Control permissions for a special, generic "Owner" user (which points, automatically, to whatever user currently owns the files). However, if you'd previously set permissions manually on those files, those filesystem permissions could point to a specific user on your old computer, which no longer exists (and so will show in the Windows permissions dialog as a UUID string of numbers and letters). Even though your current user owns the files, that does not mean the user has permissions to use them, only that you have the power to fix it for those files if you choose to do so.

So, after you change the ownership for all of the files on the drive, you need to also make sure you have Full Control privileges for the files. You do this in basically the same spot where you took Ownership, except you need to close the file dialog entirely after taking Ownership because Windows is dumb and you don't actually have ownership until you click OK back out (it does warn you about this). Then, you need to re-open the same dialog, click Advanced, and make sure the Owner has Full Control permissions for files on the drive (and make sure to check the And all subcontainers and files option too). If you see any of those weird not-named UUID "users" listed in the dialog, this is almost certainly the cause of your trouble (and you can delete those while you're in there).

When you change them this time, you can specify "Owner" instead of a specific user, and then the permissions will follow the current owner. You could also just apply Full Control to the Adminstrators group, if your user is an administrator.

I generally recommend against selecting the full disk (as shown in Brian's link). First of all, if you do this, you will get Access Denied errors for certain hidden files and folders owned by the system (the Recycle Bin for the drive, for one). But volumes are also typically owned by the SYSTEM user, which may sometimes matter for maintenance tasks and other things. Instead, you can select the all of the top-level folders on the drive and apply the Ownership and then the Permissions to these folders, and that won't pop up the access denied prompts (or should not, if so, something is then wrong inside the folder), and you won't muck with the regular volume ownership in Windows.

Very nice, specific and modern instructions for this are linked from the Wiki, which I posted above. If you look at the Windows 10 specific instructions, you'll see you did steps 1-5, but not 6 and on. That's what I'm talking about above.
"Some cultures are defined by their relationship to cheese."

Visit me on the Interweb Thingie: http://glynor.com/

BigCat

• World Citizen
  • Believe...
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 02:25:11 am »

Thanks, guys. That seems to have fixed it! Ownership and permissions...

Thanks again!

blgentry

Re: Trouble Deleting Files in JRiver [Solved]
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2016, 07:19:44 am »

Thanks to Glynor for all of the extra details.  I learned something.  I don't use windows day to day, but I work on it from time to time.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up