INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: how can i upload cover arts to internet(or mc server)?  (Read 10043 times)

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
how can i upload cover arts to internet(or mc server)?
« on: May 23, 2016, 10:47:45 am »

i have seen a menu for 'upload cover art (to internet)' long before, but now i cannot find it.
the current version of my mc21 is 21.0.83.
the menu has been removed as mc is updated?
i want to upload all of my cover arts for other mc users and just in case i lose them.

mark_h

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: how can i upload cover arts to internet(or mc server)?
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2016, 03:14:07 am »

Cover Art->Submit to Internet option is still there...?

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 02:09:40 pm »

See the screenshot I attached.
I also slightly remember that the menu you mentioned was there, but now it doesn't exist. :(

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 02:13:47 pm »

Look under Tools>Options>General>Online Metadata

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 02:26:25 pm »

Allow automatic CD looup / submission (not checked)
Disc lookup capitalization: [Original from datase]
Submit cover art changes to online database (checked)

though I change them, but the menu never comes out.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 05:19:36 pm »

I see what you mean. The menu should be as per my image attached.

Do you have an active internet connection?

I can't think of or find any settings that would turn those menu options off, but if there is no internet connection maybe MC doesn't display them, since they wouldn't work. You will note that you don't have the "Get Artist Images From Last.fm" option either. All three missing options require an internet connection to work. Although a quick test just disconnecting my PC from the internet left the menu items in place.

A mystery then. Unless you have been making changes in the registry. You could try reinstalling over the top of your existing installation, when you are sure you have an internet connection. But that is a bit of a guess.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 10:13:29 pm »

In MC Options > General > Online metadata, have you checked "Submit cover art changes ..." on your server (if any)?

A mystery then. Unless you have been making changes in the registry. You could try reinstalling over the top of your existing installation, when you are sure you have an internet connection. But that is a bit of a guess.

Of course Internet is always on.
I tested with your advice, but all(reintalation/turning off firewall/check of changes by ticking/unticking the option) were pointless.
probably a bug?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2016, 10:42:01 pm »

Oh well. As I said, it was a bit of a guess.

Perhaps a developer will answer how that could happen.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2016, 06:18:56 am »

You have to select tracks first.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2016, 12:11:21 pm »

You have to select tracks first.

Of course, I selected one or multiple songs before right-clicking to open the menu. but also pointless
I tested more and found songs of CD showed the menu "submit to Internet" even though they have no cover art, but songs on my hard disk(mp3,flac,m4a) didn't.
see the two screenshots attached.
You said I should select TRACKs first and I got a hint from it to test.
Actually as all of my songs have no track numbers, I added one or multiple track numbers and re-tested, but I also failed to get it.

Plz explain in greater details for me to solve this issue.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2016, 12:20:27 pm »

Is that a CD (plastic disc) that you have selected?  Submit to Internet only works with the files you rip from a CD.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2016, 12:45:14 pm »

Is that a CD (plastic disc) that you have selected?  Submit to Internet only works with the files you rip from a CD.

I believe that at least flac files should be made from CDs even though their ripping process was not simple(for example, CD > make an image file from CD > extract flac files > add tags on flacs).
However all of my files are not made by MC. They have a genre/lyrics tag with MP3TAG and the tags made by MC's analyzing.

OK, then I'll try testing with the CD making a flac file with MC as well as foobar2000.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2016, 01:03:53 pm »

OK, then I'll try testing with the CD making a flac file with MC as well as foobar2000.

The result of my tests showed that songs ripped by MC had the menu as Jim said, but those by foobar didn't. However I slightly remember I could see it on my hdd songs with old MCs. Unfortunately I don't remember now what versions they are.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2016, 04:16:28 pm »

If they are FLAC files, it won't matter whether they were ripped by MC or another program.  Are you sure you're not looking at cda files from a disc?  In other words, at a CD.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2016, 05:30:16 pm »

If they are FLAC files, it won't matter whether they were ripped by MC or another program.  Are you sure you're not looking at cda files from a disc?  In other words, at a CD.

See the blue boxes on the screenshots attached, you can make sure of the file types.
At the second screenshot, even though the half of "flac" word is covered by the menu box, you can fully tell that the menu was opened from a flac file.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2016, 05:39:34 pm »

Check the [Media Type] tag on those files.

The only time I see the menus disappear is when the [Media Type] is "Video" instead of "Audio".

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2016, 05:48:21 pm »

It's so hard to check my tons of files one by one, so I selected all files and run 'tag' to see the value of the 'media type' tag for them.
If there are two or more different media types among them, the value will be [varies] as you know.
But it is exactly 'Audio'. all are Audio type.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2016, 06:08:27 pm »

Is it exactly "Audio" in English?

Your second image above where the menu items don't display is mostly non-English. In your first image where the menu items do display is mostly in English.

If the [Media Type] tag is also non-English, I'm wondering if MC isn't translating and doing the [Media Type] check correctly.

blgentry

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2016, 06:12:36 pm »

From a technical perspective this is all very interesting because it's a mystery.

But maybe we are wasting our time here.  Mr. whatwhat says he wants to upload his album art "in case he loses it".  But it doesn't work that way at all does it?  I don't know of any way of getting album art back once it's been uploaded.

If you run "get from internet" it's just going to show you a list for each album.  But your art may or may not be the first item in the list.  So is this really useful for Mr. whatwhat?

Brian.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2016, 06:14:18 pm »

see this screenshot, exactly Audio type

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2016, 06:21:02 pm »

But maybe we are wasting our time here.  Mr. whatwhat says he wants to upload his album art "in case he loses it".

In fact, the main reason that I posted this issue is to share my cover arts with my friends.
If I want to only backup the current cover arts, I don't need to waste time here. I can extract to backup the current cover art images with MC.

Several months ago, I saw how MC showed choosable cover arts when I run 'get from internet' to get covers.
You can easily image how my friends efficiently get my cover arts from jriver server -like a cloud service- if they have the same music files as mine.
Actually these kinds of sharing services are now well utilized, for example, getting CD info via freedb.
However I have not yet experienced 'sharing cover art service' and I believe jriver can provide it if cover art up-download works perfectly.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: May 30, 2016, 06:34:03 pm »

In MC Options > General > Online metadata, have you checked "Submit cover art changes ..." on your server (if any)?

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #22 on: May 30, 2016, 06:40:31 pm »

But maybe we are wasting our time here.  Mr. whatwhat says he wants to upload his album art "in case he loses it".  But it doesn't work that way at all does it?  I don't know of any way of getting album art back once it's been uploaded.
If your art is very good, it should still be on the server.  You should be able to get it.  It's not a backup per se, but it would definitely help.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #23 on: May 30, 2016, 06:40:57 pm »

I have already answered with a screenshot.

Allow automatic CD looup / submission (not checked)
Disc lookup capitalization: [Original from datase]
Submit cover art changes to online database (checked)

though I change them, but the menu never comes out.

And, now I use MC on a standalone PC without special external devices.

JimH

• Administrator
« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2016, 06:47:16 pm »

Are you using a client and a server?

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2016, 06:50:04 pm »

Are you using a client and a server?
Just a client, not server
My PC is just a simple single standalone system which is not specialized for listening to music.

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2016, 07:17:11 pm »

OK!! I uploaded 6 flac files from my HDD. You may download them for test.
Download all or some, make a new playlist on MC and put them there and try testing.
Then you can easily find out the problem if this is a bug.
The link is here.
https://goo.gl/X*H(ZX

Kindly inform me of any results.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2016, 08:40:32 pm »

None those six songs, and none of the examples in your images above, have Album and Artist data in the tags.

The "Get from Internet", "Submit To Internet" and "Get Artist Images From Last.fm" can't be used unless the track is associated with an Album and an Artist, since there is no way to identify the music. It would be useless in the database. The database would be full of "Unknown Album" and "Unknown Artist" tracks if you could submit them.

I added an Album of "Barry's Songs" and an Artist of "Barry" to one of your tracks after importing it, and the internet menu items then worked for that track.

You have some tagging to do.

marko

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2016, 11:10:31 pm »

ta-daaaa :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: May 31, 2016, 12:32:46 am »

ta-daaaa :)

Yep, easy once you find the answer. We should have noticed it from the images in Reply 9 & 19, but sometimes we just have to go through the process.  ;D

whatwhat

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2016, 08:05:29 am »

omg I finally grasped the state of affairs thanks to RoderickGI sharp in observation.
I didn't realize many of my files had been lost some tags, now I'm restoring them manually.
It would be kanda hard work. :(

blgentry

« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2016, 08:24:14 am »

If you know that something happened to your library at a specific date that removed your tags, you may be able to restore them from a library backup.  MC makes Library Backups automatically every 2 to 4 days.  Just do File > Library > Restore Library and it will show you a list of backup files it has made.  They have the date in the file name so you can see when they were made.

I would strongly suggest that you make a library backup right now, before you do anything else.  That way you can at least get back to the state your library is in right this moment.  Then you can experiment with restoring older copies of your library.  If you are lucky, you'll find one that has all of your metadata in it.  :)

Good luck. 

Brian
Pages: [1]   Go Up