INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music videos, chapters and metadata/tagging  (Read 2431 times)

Paul S.A. Renaud

• World Citizen
Music videos, chapters and metadata/tagging
« on: June 01, 2016, 07:45:30 am »

Some time ago, I started to rip music video, i.e. DVD's and Bluray's with concerts, etc. For playback I use JRiver, which I am a longtime user of for my audio library. I have two issues. One is navigation and chapter building. Ideally, I want to play my music video like I play my audio album: tracks, etc. On most DVD's and Bluray, the rip results in one (or a few) big files (I use MKV's). The chapter structure (i.e. tracks) is maintained, but JRiver does make the chapter structure available as a list to choose from. You have to use "jump to" functions, which is very primitive. Question One: How can I navigate these videos with JRiver like I play my audio albums?
Question 2: Is there is service software, which helps with the lookup and tagging of the video files? None of the service, I have seen only work with audio files.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Music videos, chapters and metadata/tagging
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 01:46:47 pm »

There are ways of making Particles that point to the various chapters inside of MKV files.  Each particle then becomes like a song.  There is a utility that I haven't used yet called MCUtils, which includes a particlize function, designed to look up chapters in a database and then build Particles for each song based on the database.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100449.0

Again, I have not used this yet, so I can't help you with setup or running it.

On the other hand, if you only have a small number of concerts (like me) you can manage them a different way.  I use MakeMKV to make one (or a few) large files for a concert.  Like you said, these MKVs have chapters inside them that usually correspond to each individual song.  I then use MKVToolNix to split the large MKV into individual chapter MKVs.  So I end up with one MKV per chapter; essentially one MKV per song.

http://www.fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html

Then I import all of the small MKV files (that were split by MKVToolNix), which are sequentially numbered (because MKVToolNix numbers them).  I usually have to adjust those numbers to correspond to chapter numbers, but it's very easy.  Just a tiny bit of subtraction or addition using an expression and I can have the [Track #] field be correct.  The hard part is then naming each chapter for the song it contains.  I usually use an online listing of the song names along with chapter numbers and then cut and paste from a web page into MC's tag editor, or it's main listing in the [Name] field.

This is tedious, but it doesn't take all that long.  Like I said, I only have a small number of concerts, so it wasn't a great deal of effort for me.  Plus I like organizing things and I like MC's expressions, so it was kinda fun in a weird way.  If you have a lot of concerts this probably isn't practical for you.

I then have a View built called Music Videos.  It lets me filter by Artist and/or Album (Concert) and see thumbnails of all of the songs, which is nice.  See attached screen shot.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up