INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Not going to upgrade  (Read 3111 times)

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
Not going to upgrade
« on: June 01, 2016, 06:37:37 pm »

not going for the upgrade this year... just didn't appreciate any of the changes put in this year to justify it.  maybe get back in next year if it looks any different or any of the features i have been asking for are addressed like setting the Volume Leveling target gain or fixing the support for the media keys on my wireless keyboard so they work first time without having to first click on the MC program.  Would also be nice if it didn't repeat songs in play doctor playlists and properly updated the Last Played meta-data so it doesn't re-play most of the same songs over and over every time I relaunch.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Not going to upgrade
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2016, 07:31:57 pm »

Would also be nice if it didn't repeat songs in play doctor playlists and properly updated the Last Played meta-data so it doesn't re-play most of the same songs over and over every time I relaunch.

I've read about most of your other issues with MC.  But I'm not aware of the Last Played issue.  As far as I know, MC has always updated the Last Played field for me, on every song, on every play.  What does or does not happen for you?

Brian.

DJLegba

Not going to upgrade
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2016, 09:41:37 pm »

^ I believe it doesn't update when you play to a DNLA renderer.

blgentry

Not going to upgrade
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 06:40:56 am »

^ I just tested it with a WD Live TV, via wifi, so I think that's DLNA.  Or UPNP.  It changed the last played date and time correctly.

Brian.

DJLegba

Re: Not going to upgrade
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2016, 07:41:59 am »

Brian, the first track updates, but subsequent tracks do not, at least when I look at the play count.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2016, 07:55:57 am »

Looking at the "Number Plays" column it just increments perfectly as I play down a playlist.

Strange that wouldn't happen for you.  I wonder what special thing could be happening?
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

blgentry

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2016, 08:16:45 am »

I just played 5 or 6 tracks in a row.  I wasn't watching most of the time, but I watched the last two tracks.  Last Played gets updated as soon as the track starts.  So does [Number Plays].  Unfortunately, [Number Plays] gets incremented *again* at the end of the track.  So a track that is played once, adds 2 to [Number Plays]; one at the beginning, one at the end.

When playing to a local device, [Last Played] and [Number Plays] only get updated at the end of the track.

So there's definitely something weird going on, at least in my test scenario.

Brian.

Matt

• Administrator
  • Shoes gone again!
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2016, 08:22:27 am »

I just played 5 or 6 tracks in a row.  I wasn't watching most of the time, but I watched the last two tracks.  Last Played gets updated as soon as the track starts.  So does [Number Plays].  Unfortunately, [Number Plays] gets incremented *again* at the end of the track.  So a track that is played once, adds 2 to [Number Plays]; one at the beginning, one at the end.

When playing to a local device, [Last Played] and [Number Plays] only get updated at the end of the track.

So there's definitely something weird going on, at least in my test scenario.

Brian.

What are you playing to when the number of plays increments twice?  Thanks.
Matt Ashland, JRiver Media Center

dfortney

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2016, 09:17:18 am »

The numbers increment and Last Play is updated while running but as soon as I relaunch they are mostly all reset as though none of that information ever got saved.  My library is on an external usb drive but it clearly has no permissions issues reading or writing those files as it does set other things like analyzing audio volume and album art correctly.  Something just isn't 'syncing' this information to disk or the library.  Funny thing is it doesn't happen for every track the same.  Sometimes some do get updated but the majority don't.

blgentry

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2016, 09:35:24 am »

This is very frustrating.  I just re-tested after stopping and starting MC.  MC cleared the play queue, except for the last song that was playing.  Now MC can barely seem to start the track playing.  It took me 4 tries to get it to play a song.  But once it started, the Last Played and Number Plays stayed at their last values for the 30 seconds I tested it.

Before, when I was testing, as the player would advance from track to track, within 10 seconds or so, both Last Played and Number Plays would be updated.

I'm literally about to throw my WDTV away.  I'm guessing the problems are mostly with this cheap piece of hardware, but I have no other DLNA devices to test with.  I may be acquiring an android device to test with that will run Bubble UPNP, so that might be a slightly better test platform.

Brian.

DJLegba

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2016, 09:48:26 am »

I hadn't checked for a while. The last time I checked only the first track was being updated, but I can't remember what version of MC I was using at the time. Now with 21.0.83 when playing to "This device" using JRemote on my Android phone the play count increases by two (once at the beginning of the track and once again at the end), and when playing to Chromecast Audio via BubbleUPnP the play count increases by two and sometimes by three.

blgentry

« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2016, 09:58:26 am »

I just realized I may have misunderstood your question.  I thought you mean "playing to" as in "how far into the song".  Now I think you mean "what playback device".

Playback device is a WDTV Live, via Wifi.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2016, 10:26:03 am »

The WDTV Live devices usually work well.  Try updating its firmware.  Try toggling SetNextAVTransport in MC's options.

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2016, 11:06:12 am »

The WDTV Live devices usually work well.  Try updating its firmware.  Try toggling SetNextAVTransport in MC's options.

It's at the latest firmware.  I've tried that setting on and off.  I haven't rigorously tested that setting though;perhaps I should.  But I'm just about done with it.  9 out of 10 times I go to use it, I have a problem.  I'm targeting a different solution for the area I have it connected to.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up