INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shows that I've watched and deleted, come back!  (Read 7580 times)

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Shows that I've watched and deleted, come back!
« on: June 03, 2016, 05:14:08 pm »

Server
Theater View

I watch a recorded tv show on the Server, then delete it.
The show is no longer seen in Theater View Series.
I go to bed or go to work etc, and when I get back to the Tv/Server the show is back on my Series screen.
If I select it and try to play it, I get an error saying file cannot be found so I delete it AGAIN.

This has been happening more and more over the last week or two. At least 4 or 5 times that I know of.

Anyone else?
Any cure?
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

CountryBumkin

Re: Shows that I've watched and deleted, come back!
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 05:35:33 pm »

I sounds like there is a file in the TV folder (like maybe a sidecar) that is not getting deleted, then MC reimports it but since there is no actual TV show file, it can't be played.
The next time you delete a show, use Windows Explorer to see if there is anything left in the TV Recoding folder with the name of the Show.

Also are you recording as JTV or TS format? The JTV format creates a lot of small files so, IMHO, it is more likely some stray file was left behind.

I don't know - just throwing out ideas until someone smarter comes along.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2016, 06:59:19 pm »

Thanks.

This kept happening with one particular show three days in a row... Using windows explorer, I just found one episode from April 5th that is not showing up in MC at all. I have deleted it manually.

Shall see if the problem goes away. But if that was the issue, it is strange because that file has been there since April 5th, yet I have only noticed this issue within the past week or so...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2016, 08:12:53 pm »

You always get the strangest things happening in MC, TZR916!

You seem to have the result of a combination of;
A:
1. Using "Remove from Media Library" instead of "Remove from Media Library and permanently delete from disk", which is only available directly in Standard View.
2. "Do not track the files in Removed Files database", which is only available directly in Theatre View. In fact I don't think there is a setting for this in Options, or a way to use it in Standard View at all. A Standard View user just needs to know to go to the Removed Files database and delete the record for a file they wish to re-import.
Note: Just using the "Remove from Media Library" instead of "Remove from Media Library and permanently delete from disk" would explain the April 5th episode. An easy mistake if working in Standard View.

Or;
B:
1. Using "Remove from Media Library" instead of "Remove from Media Library and permanently delete from disk", which is only available directly in Standard View.
2. Then restore a MC Library from a time before the episode was deleted. Hence, no record existed in the Removed File database, and MC re-import the file.

Or;
C:
MC has tried to delete the files, and has succeeded in removing them from the Media Library, but then failed to delete the file from disk, and hence has terminated the process and has not updated the Removed Files database. That would imply File Access issues in your setup, or availability issues of the hardware the files are on. Hence Auto-Import would re-import the files.

Or;
D:
Something in your system is putting files back. Something like backup software, or system protection software (restoring files much like Windows restores system files). Have you done any restores of backups? Got any such system protection or optimisation software?
Of course, even if the files were put back, MC wouldn't re-import them if they were in the Removed Files database. Unless of course the file name had changed, or they were in fact repeat showings of the episode.

So, which of the above is most likely in your opinion TZR916? I'm thinking B.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 05:38:25 pm »

Deleting that old left over episode did not resolve the issue. This show just does not want to go away!

I record the show every day at the same time, watch it every morning, and delete it.

Then when I get home from work, I see yesterday's show and the day before's show  :o

I checked to see if it is showing on the laptop client and they are showing up there too.

I exit Theater View on the Server, and they are showing up in Standard View too. If I right click and choose Locate > On Disk it says file blah blah blah is not found  ?

So I shut down MC and Server service on the server, wait a minute and start MC up. Now the episodes are gone again.

I have at least three other shows that I record/watch daily and they are not having this issue.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2016, 07:57:55 pm »

So I shut down MC and Server service on the server, wait a minute and start MC up. Now the episodes are gone again.

Well that is new information. I often delete programs within a view in Standard View and they will sit there until either I refresh the view, or I go to another view and return. Well, I see that on the Client anyway. Not so sure on the server.

It sounds like your issue is similar. It isn't that the library record and file haven't been deleted, it is just that the view hasn't been updated/refreshed.

Could be a bug, in that MC should refresh it views at some point without being forced to. In fact it should have been refreshed when you first deleted the show, and it disappeared from the view.

Do you navigate around MC a bit between the delete and the reappearance?
If you do go to a different view and return, does the deleted show still reappear?

Also, do you have any MC Clients connecting to the Server library directly? Not as a Client, but using the library files directly using drive mapping or similar?
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2016, 09:07:19 pm »

Do you navigate around MC a bit between the delete and the reappearance?
Yes. This morning there was ONE episode of this show on the Server. I watched it and deleted it. Then I went to guide, watched a few live tv channels, then my GF used the Server all day. When I got home and went to Video>Shows>Series, there were TWO episodes of the show.

If you do go to a different view and return, does the deleted show still reappear?
Yes, with those two episodes appearing, I went to Guide, then back to Shows>Series. They were still there. Dropped into Standard View and switched from Shows to Movies and back to Shows, they were still there.

Also, do you have any MC Clients connecting to the Server library directly? Not as a Client, but using the library files directly using drive mapping or similar?
No.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2016, 10:54:15 pm »

Well, as I said earlier;

You always get the strangest things happening in MC, TZR916!

I can't think of any other conditions that would create your situation.

The records are being put back into the library files, even though the actual files are (mostly) being deleted. Something is reversing the file edits, similar to pressing the Crtl-z (Undo) key. That sounds like some external security process, or a MC Client synchronising its list of shows back to the Server. Or do you have some automation that may be sending a Ctrl-z to the PC?

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 08:30:07 am »

Still happening on this one show only. Despite rebooting the Server PC, clearing the logs, updated to latest version 89, verified no old stray episodes/files left on recording drive.

This one show, the daily episode that I watched and delete yesterday, is showing back up as watched 98% and the file is actually not there (cannot find in windows explorer, MC cannot find/play the file). After I delete it a SECOND time, it never comes back.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2016, 07:12:36 pm »

Very strange that it is happening to just one show.

How about trying these two things, one at a time;

1. Delete the recording rule, then re-add it with the same parameters, which you will have noted before deleting the original !

If that doesn't work;

2. Add a tagging rule to the recording rule for the [Name] field, so that the new [Name] is "[Name] - [Date]". That will make the name unique for each recording.

I only have one program that is recorded daily, which is deleted automatically after seven days. I change three things in that rule;
a) I have named the rule to be different to the program name. The rule is "ABC News Daily" while the program is either "ABC News" or "ABC News Sunday". depending on the day.
b) I have set the [Series] tag to "ABC News", because that tag could be variable, and I wanted all the recordings together.
c) I have set the [Season] tag to blank, as I was getting variable values in that from the EPG data as well. A lot of the programs had the [Season] set to the year 2000 for some reason, but not all. Silly, so I removed it.

See if any of the above, or similar changes, makes a difference. Making the problem go away isn't as good as understanding the cause and fixing it, but it is the next best thing.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 05:24:54 pm »

Still happening, and spreading to more shows than just the one. I watched and deleted 4 different shows this morning and then just noticed that all 4 of them had re-appeared (server theater view tv series).

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2016, 09:11:10 am »

Has not been resolved. Still happening.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2016, 04:24:10 pm »

Could you have "File History" turned on and monitoring the folder where you record to?
Windows Control Panel>File History.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 10:27:34 am »

File history was off.

It only seems to happen with 3 particular series. I just deleted those recording rules and re-added them back. See if that does anything.
Pages: [1]   Go Up