INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRemote and 24bit 192Khz  (Read 4082 times)

happy haggis

• Recent member
JRemote and 24bit 192Khz
« on: June 03, 2016, 07:54:04 pm »

Hi,
My first post and I hope it's not a daft question.  :)
I have all my music on a laptop and have just started using MC and would like to use JRemote to save me going to my laptop every time I want to change tracks. I have a Marantz CR511 which will play the 24bit 192Khz files I have, so I believe using MC from my laptop will play those as is, but from what I've been able to glean so far, JRemote will only play 24bit 96Khz. I should add that these are all FLAC. Is that correct and if so, does JRemote automatically downsample them and again, if so, what to?
Many thanks for any help.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRemote and 24bit 192Khz
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 08:44:24 am »

JRemote is mostly a remote control, but it has (at least) 3 fairly different modes of operation:

1.  Remote control.  This is the normal way of using JRemote, which just controls your MC server and tells it what to play and what zone to play it in.  Anything that your MC server can play will be played.  The sample rates, etc are all a matter of how the MC server is configured.  JRemote is just a remote control in this case and does no processing, no conversion, nothing extra at all.  It's just a remote.

2.  Streaming media player.  If you select "this device" in the zones section of JRemote, it switches from being a remote control to being a media player that plays audio and video on the JRemote device itself.  In this case, the conversion of audio and video is handled by the JRemote app.  There are probably some limitations on maximum sample rate as you have indicated.  I don't know the various audio and video limitations, but I'm sure there are some.

3.  Theater View remote.  In this mode, JRemote's screen goes mostly black.  It then allows you to swipe left, right, up, down, and click.  By doing these gestures you can control Theater View on your HTPC.  This essentially replaces the need to have an IR remote control with four arrows and a button to select.  Since that's pretty much what you need to control navigation and selection in Theater View.

I hope that helps clear it up for you.

Brian.

happy haggis

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 09:07:34 am »

Hi Brian,
Yes, that makes things very clear, thank you.  :)

djcozmik

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2016, 11:44:34 pm »

I am curious about this as well. I am using the Android JRemote app on an Onkyo DP-X1 media player.

When using the app as in mode 2 above (streaming media player) I am able to stream up to 24-bit/96khz files just fine. However, 24-bit/192khz files do not play at all.  I have tried setting up the media center to down-sample to 96khz, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. Very strange! Any thoughts or suggestions are appreciate :)

Edit: I should note that 192khz files play fine on my PC, and also stream just fine to my networked DLNA receiver. Also the media player is able to play local 192khz files through other apps.

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 05:12:43 am »

I have the Android version of JRemote and have no issues playing 192kHz FLAC files on my Server, any JRiver clients, any DLNA renderers or on my phone a LG V10.
But I do not have a Theater View Remote feature on my copy.

djcozmik

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 07:33:48 pm »

Hmm, weird. It will only stream those tracks to this media player if I uncheck "Use native audio format".. but then it transcodes to MP3.

Media player handles local 192khz files just fine, and my I'm able to stream 192khz to my receiver just fine... and if you say you're able to stream 192khz to the android JRemote app, I don't know what the issue is.  ?

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 11:21:01 am »

I think JRemote relies on the Android OS to actually play the file.
Maybe it is down to different devices and OS versions.
I run Marshmallow on a LG V10 and have successfully used Lollipop on the same phone too.

Pages: [1]   Go Up