INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Cannot play DVD files from a laptop built-in SD card reader  (Read 1796 times)

Movie Fan

• Recent member

The laptop is a new Dell E5270 (purchased early in May 2016) running 64 bit Windows 7 Professional.  I am using MC V21.0.80.

If I connect the SD card through an SD-to-USB adapter, the video files play fine.  If I move the SD card to the built-in SD card slot and start play the screen briefly turns black and then the GUI reappears.  No error message or code is displayed.  Play is started from the VIDEO_TS.ifo file.  The SD card is not mechanically write protected.

VLC media player V2.0.6 plays the SD card through either the USB adapter or directly from the built-in SD card slot with no problems.

What am I doing wrong?

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Cannot play DVD files from a laptop built-in SD card reader
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 03:42:59 pm »

In MC have you looked under Drives & Devices for the sd card? If so and it still is not showing up you may have to close MC wait a minute for MC to fully close and then restart MC and see if that helps. Be sure to leave the sd card inserted.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

Movie Fan

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 08:31:52 pm »

MC recognizes the SD card and the card is not mechanically write protected which is a know problem as per an earlier post I created.  If I access the card via a USB adapter and the card is not write protected MC plays the videos properly.  If the SD card is write protected play does not commence.  The write protected case with the USB adapter is functionally identical to that of using the SD socket with or without write protection enabled.

The laptop has a BIOS setting to make the SD card interface read only however that is not enabled and I have verified I can copy files to an unprotected SD card via the socket.

If this will help I enabled logging, deleted the log file, ran MC21, tried to play a video on an SD card, closed MC21 then saved the log file.  The saved file is attached for your review.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2016, 01:30:16 am »

Unfortunately the same conclusion applies as in your earlier post - MC relies on an external component from Microsoft for DVD playback, and this component is known to have problems with playing DVDs from certain media. Its really only meant to work from Optical media (ie. DVDs), and even exhibits a few problems already when playing from certain harddrives - an SD card is just that much more obscure.

I'm afraid there is nothing we can do about this, as we have to rely on this MS component.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2016, 10:41:15 am »

Yet another example of why you should not use DVD or BD structures of any type.  Just rip them (losslessly) down to MKV files and everything works correctly.

I don't mean any insult here.  I just see post after post after post of problems with disc structures (ISO, VOBs, IFOs, etc).

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up