INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Export & Import all Smartlists  (Read 2779 times)

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Export & Import all Smartlists
« on: June 04, 2016, 04:34:37 pm »

I have a bunch of smartlists in one instance of MC that I want to export and import into another instance of MC.

I can export the rules for one smartlist, and import them into a smartlist in another instance of MC, but I can't figure out how to do all of them in one go. I thought I did this in the past but maybe not. Either I forgot how or the feature does not exist.

Any suggestions? If the feature does not exist that's fine. I'll stop trying to figure it out.

Randy

blgentry

Re: Export & Import all Smartlists
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 05:55:20 pm »

As far as I know this feature does not exist in a direct way.

I think the only way to mass transfer over smartlists is via a library backup and restore.  You could probably make it work with a procedure something like the following.  I'll call the MC instance that has the smartlists you want "Source" and the MC instance you want to transfer them to, "Target".

1.  Make a database backup of Target.  This is just for safety.
2.  In Target, select all files and File > Export playlist .  Choose MPL as the playlist type.  This is important.
3.  In Source, make a database backup.  Copy this backup to the Target computer.
4.  On Target, import the backup you just made from Source.  Do not restore settings; files and playlists only.
5.  Now all of the smartlists should be in the Target library, but it will also have a bunch of dummy entries for songs that were in the Source library.
6.  Remove all songs from the library since they are all bad entries anyway:  Select all and delete, choosing "delete from library" only.
7.  Now the library should be empty, but all the smartlists should remain.
8.  File Import Playlist .  Choose the MPL playlist you made in step #2 above.

Now the Target library should have all of the original media in it and all of the smartlists from the Source library. 

I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS.  But I think it will work.  Be sure to have a good backup (step #1 above) before you do any experiments of your own.

Brian.

Magic_Randy

• MC Beta Team
  • I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure..
Re: Export & Import all Smartlists
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 09:25:13 pm »

As far as I know this feature does not exist in a direct way.

I think the only way to mass transfer over smartlists is via a library backup and restore.  You could probably make it work with a procedure something like the following.  I'll call the MC instance that has the smartlists you want "Source" and the MC instance you want to transfer them to, "Target".

1.  Make a database backup of Target.  This is just for safety.
2.  In Target, select all files and File > Export playlist .  Choose MPL as the playlist type.  This is important.
3.  In Source, make a database backup.  Copy this backup to the Target computer.
4.  On Target, import the backup you just made from Source.  Do not restore settings; files and playlists only.
5.  Now all of the smartlists should be in the Target library, but it will also have a bunch of dummy entries for songs that were in the Source library.
6.  Remove all songs from the library since they are all bad entries anyway:  Select all and delete, choosing "delete from library" only.
7.  Now the library should be empty, but all the smartlists should remain.
8.  File Import Playlist .  Choose the MPL playlist you made in step #2 above.

Now the Target library should have all of the original media in it and all of the smartlists from the Source library. 

I HAVE NOT TESTED THIS.  But I think it will work.  Be sure to have a good backup (step #1 above) before you do any experiments of your own.

Brian.

Thanks Brian...

I'm good from here.

Randy
Pages: [1]   Go Up