INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: video files: Remove Tags or Clean File Properties  (Read 1835 times)

yannis

• World Citizen
video files: Remove Tags or Clean File Properties
« on: June 05, 2016, 05:55:45 am »

When i select a video file and chose Remove tags, I get a message that the tags are deleted, but the fields in the library (Genre, Actors, Keywords etc) do not empty. So, what does Remove tags do?

I also notice that the sidecar is deleted. But if I then select "Update library from tags", the fields remain filled. The only way to empty them is to delete tags manually, and of course this is tedious.

The option to Clean File Properties is also limited in its scope. So, is there a way to clean some or all fields of one or more files at once?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: video files: Remove Tags or Clean File Properties
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2016, 08:17:02 am »

All of your observations seem to be correct as far as I can tell.  I think "remove tags" takes the tags out of the external files, NOT the internal library.  That's why the sidecar file is deleted; because that's where the file tags are stored externally.

I thought that maybe you could build a "dummy video" with empty metadata and copy it over to any video you wanted to "empty".  So I tried it.  It works, but the copy tags function only uses 2/3 or so of the tags for a movie, so it doesn't seem that useful, as you'd still have to manually delete all of the other fields values.

But this all begs the question, why would you want to do this?  Do you have titles that just can't be looked up correctly?  Because, if you can get them to do the correctly lookup, all the fields will be filled.  The more I think about it, the more I think that this must be the case:  Obscure movies that you can't get a proper lookup on and you want to start with fresh clean tags you can type in yourself.

I don't know how you would do this.

Brian.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 03:10:50 am »

I'm glad we can agree at last  ;)

But again, you ask for a reason, when there can be many: Files, not necessarily obscure, may be mistagged because of a typo in the title. Especially the wrong Year can throw the data way off when updating a bunch of files, as you have no control. Besides, a user might want to change/improve the data, but as no direct merging of sources is currently allowed, one can only empty the fields to be changed and deselect Overwrite existing.

Admittedly, I can see that the need for this function is less pressing now than it was in MC18 I was using until recently. But to turn your question on its head, why should there exist a Remove Tags function that seems to be hardly working? And how hard is it to expand the Clean File Properties, so it can delete entire values in all fields?

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 06:51:53 am »

As a problem solver, I've learned to ask why before I answer "how".  But we don't seem to be getting anywhere with that approach and everything you are asking for is beyond my control, as they are all new features.

Good luck with your feature requests.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up