INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC21 on HTPC: can't get a smooth video rendering  (Read 2948 times)

kolia

• World Citizen
MC21 on HTPC: can't get a smooth video rendering
« on: May 29, 2016, 05:52:54 am »

Hello all,

I'm running MC21 on a Windows 10 Pro HTPC (specifications here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f10-music-servers/new-plex-h5-gen-2-server-htpc-26937/, aimed at rendering 4K content. GC: GTX950, 1Gb/sec wired Ethernet, projector Sony 4K VW500ES.
No issues with Audio, very pleased with it.
All drivers are up to date, especially NVIDIA ones.
Under the following conditions, video rendering is smooth:
- Motherboard HDMI output to flat screen, with JRiver or PlotPlayer (as an example)
- GC HDMI output to flat screen, with JRiver or PlotPlayer
- GC HDMI output to projector, with Plotplayer
Issue: with JRiver rendering to the projector (GC HDMI), the computer will stall very shortly needing a hard reset to recover. Video mode (standard or HQ) does not change the behavior.
What are the things to be checked or tested in order to have a smooth rendering on the projector with MC21?
Thank you

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC21 on HTPC: can't get a smooth video rendering
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2016, 06:01:31 am »

Enable Logging (Help>Logging). Then after a hard reset, restart MC and create a Log file then post here or e-mail to JRiver dev.

In the meantime, try running MC with the Windows Resource Monitor open. See if CPU, MEM, or Disk activity performance is spiking during the "stall".

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2016, 06:33:04 am »

Thanks for taking care of the issue. Here are the log files

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2016, 07:09:03 am »

Video drivers are a possible source of the problem. 

Try Red October Standard in video settings.  Are you using ROHQ?

No need to send us a log unless we ask.

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2016, 09:10:35 am »

I originally wrongly stated that the freezing was both in standard mode and ROHQ mode. It is only in ROHQ. NVIDIA drivers are the latest available. What would be the course of action now?

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2016, 10:12:58 am »

Then it is probably related to madVR.  You could take a look at madshi's thread on doom9.

Make sure you have the latest build of MC from the top of this board.  madshi did a work-around for an AMD video driver problem.  I'm not sure that it is in the latest MC yet, but it is worth trying.

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2016, 03:59:04 pm »

Thanks I'll check it and let you know

kolia

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 02:34:31 am »

So after numerous tests, here are my findings.
GC drivers have been updated to the latest beta (and not official release). Madvr stopped crashing the PC as soon as a playback was started.
Having a GTX 950 I've found that there is not much of options available if you want to have a rendering without frames drops. This wiki http://wiki.mikejung.biz/MadVR has been very helpful to understand various options and what should be expected. The projector VW500ES itself upscales everything to 4K and Sony is known to have excellent video processing capabilities. I haven't seen any image quality improvement selecting the suggested parameters named "madVR Settings for Low End - Mid Range PCs" in the wiki, or even higher. This result is pretty surprising to me, not to say that I've been a bit disappointed. Maybe I overlooked something, I would be glad to share thoughts and findings that the community may have experimented.
Pages: [1]   Go Up