INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Broken guide  (Read 5115 times)

Ark :D

• Recent member
Broken guide
« on: June 06, 2016, 08:20:35 am »

Hello JRiver.

For quite a while now, I've had my guide on JMC21 configured to pull from Schedules Direct.  It's been this way ever since the Rovi guide had that issue a while ago.  Now, after months of working correctly, it's not updating once again.

I tried to update it manually, but JMC just brings up the "initial config" dialog four times in a row (though it DOES seem to download the guide data each time) then fails, saying the guide data contains no valid information.

My wife is a huge TV buff and this is making her unhappy.  And by extension, it is making me unhappy.  How can I fix this?  Please help.

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Broken guide
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2016, 10:11:01 am »

I assume that you have a subscription to Schedules Direct (are you sure the subscription has not expired?).
Are you using the external MC2XML (version 1.6) program?

You may want to clear it out and start fresh. You would just need to delete the "mc2xml.dat" file.
Then the next time you run "mc2xml.exe" it would bring up the settings box asking for your Schedules Direct username and password.

You would want to select "schedules direct json" (which has better data than just the standard schedules direct) and enter your postal/zip code.

Then select the guide source (OTA, Cable, etc.). After that it should immediately run and download your guide data to a file "xmltv.xml".

Can you get this far?

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2016, 11:16:13 am »

CountryBumkin, thank you for your reply.

I assume that you have a subscription to Schedules Direct (are you sure the subscription has not expired?).

Correct.

Are you using the external MC2XML (version 1.6) program?

No, I have not messed with this at all and I am using MC2XML version 1.4, as it was with the install of JMC21.

You may want to clear it out and start fresh. You would just need to delete the "mc2xml.dat" file.
Then the next time you run "mc2xml.exe" it would bring up the settings box asking for your Schedules Direct username and password.

Resetting all TV settings and reconfiguring the guide fixed it this time around, but it also purged all of my wife's scheduled recordings which means I'll be eating ramen noodles for a month and sleeping in my car instead of a nice warm bed (not really, but it's not far from the truth!)...

If you recommend updating MC2XML to version 1.6, I'll do that and see what happens.

*edit*

Do you happen to have a link to download MC2XML v1.6?  The one at http://mc2xml.awardspace.info/ seems to have a virus??

CountryBumkin

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2016, 12:20:39 pm »

That is the correct link. I'm not sure about the "virus" - maybe an overly sensitive antivirus program.

The benefit to running v1.6 is that you can select the "Schedules Direct JSON" rather than the regular Schedules Direct download. The Json provides a little more data (such as Season "Number" (rather than Season "Year"). Maybe other additional data too, but its the "Number" that I needed.

To run version 1.6, you would run it as an external program. As shown here http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=100319.msg695326#msg695326
So you create a new folder (such as C:\mc2xml) then you copy the mc2xml.exe to that folder. When you run it the first time, it will create mc2xml.dat in the folder, and the guide data "xmltv.xml" will be saved in the same folder.

Then you go into MC (as shown in the link above) and have MC run the mc2xml.exe program and import the xmltv.xml file once a day.

Sorry to hear you lost your wife's schedules. That's tough. Maybe get a screen shot of the Recording Rules page for safe keeping incase you ever need to rebuild from scratch.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2016, 12:30:37 pm »

Resetting all TV settings and reconfiguring the guide fixed it this time around, but it also purged all of my wife's scheduled recordings ...
You might try restoring a backup.  MC makes them automatically.

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2016, 01:02:48 pm »

I've got MC2XML v1.6 going now.  That was a trick ... first Google Chrome, then Windows Defender were identifying the executable as a trojan.  I got past them though.  It worked correctly the first time and pulled in a week's worth of programming.

Thanks for your help guys, I appreciate it.

One final side question:  is there any way to download more than 1 week's worth of programming?  I'd like to be able to get 2 weeks if possible.  The MC2XML switch "-d 336" to set duration to 336 hours (2 weeks) doesn't seem to do anything.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2016, 02:15:11 pm »

You should be getting at least 14 days without making any changes.
If you are in Standard View>Television>All Programs-All Channels view, and you move the date from June 6 to June 26, do you have guide data for 6/26 (I do)?

• Recent member
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2016, 03:27:55 pm »

You should be getting at least 14 days without making any changes.
If you are in Standard View>Television>All Programs-All Channels view, and you move the date from June 6 to June 26, do you have guide data for 6/26 (I do)?

No, no guide data for 6/26, though I do have data up through part of 6/20 which matches up with my 14-day duration switch on MC2XML.  I cannot go further than one week out on the theater view guide though (which I *must* use, all my HTPC's are without a keyboard and mouse and are completely remote-driven).

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2016, 03:59:06 pm »

I know that Theater View guide only shows a week, but there is (typically) two weeks' worth of guide data downloaded/stored. That's why I asked you to check in Standard View.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2016, 04:19:37 pm »

If you do get more than 7 days of data in standard view, then you can customize Theater view to show the data for more than 7 days too.

Tools > Options > Theater View, under "Items to Show", select Video/Guide/Guide, and click "Set rules for file display...".  On the resulting dialog, change the custom rule
"[TVTime]=#TVGuideStartDate-7d" to "[TVTime]=#TVGuideStartDate-14d".
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2016, 05:20:16 pm »

If you do get more than 7 days of data in standard view, then you can customize Theater view to show the data for more than 7 days too.

Tools > Options > Theater View, under "Items to Show", select Video/Guide/Guide, and click "Set rules for file display...".  On the resulting dialog, change the custom rule
"[TVTime]=#TVGuideStartDate-7d" to "[TVTime]=#TVGuideStartDate-14d".

Yaobing, don't take this the wrong way, but I think I love you.

THANK YOU!
Pages: [1]   Go Up