INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dual Mono Subs  (Read 2704 times)

jjkale

• Junior Woodchuck
Dual Mono Subs
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:16:21 pm »

I would like to add a second sub to my system in order to improve response around my room.  I will run the two subs as dual mono summed. So, I will be going from a 5.1 system to a 5.2 setup (or maybe it's a 5.1+?).  Not sure.
What is the best way to do this in JRiver?
Output Format>>select 7.1 and copy the Sub channel to one of the unused channels?  Or other?
The subs will not be co-located and will be slightly different distances from the MLP so I will need to separately time align them.  Or is a MiniDsp 2x4 the way to go?
Here is the signal chain:  NAS>>Win10/JRiver>>Dirac Live>>Oppo 105D>>Emotiva XMC-1>>W4S MCh Amp>>Revel F208 Speakers and 2xPower Sound Audio subs.
Yes, that is correct I run Dirac Live in lieu of Dirac on Emotiva.  I have my reasons! (24/96+)
Thanks very much for all the help!

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
Re: Dual Mono Subs
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 02:08:13 pm »

Yes, the best way is to copy the sub to an unused channel. Set Output Format to "5.1 channels (inside 7.1 channels container)" and then copy the sub to one of the rear channels. You can then adjust the delay for the two subwoofer channels independently and add EQ. No need for a MiniDSP.

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2016, 02:21:05 pm »

You would need to sum them back into 1 channel though if you intend to use Dirac as well (unless you can set dirac to ignore those channels and do all sub eq in jriver)

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 04:55:14 pm »

You probably don't need two output channels in MC to do this well.  It might be interesting, but you also might confuse the issue.  If one or both of your subs have phase knobs (not switches), you can do some adjustment there.

Want to get really educated about subs in home theater systems?  Read this:

http://soundoctor.com/whitepapers/subs.htm

Barry is the master of the subwoofer.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up