INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Saved views  (Read 3927 times)

tinpanalley

• Recent member
Saved views
« on: June 07, 2016, 06:19:37 am »

I don't seem to have a Saved Views folder in my User folder. Can anyone tell me where else MC21 might be storing my saved view file to use in my laptop's installation? Also just to back it up so I don't screw up and lose it...again.  :-\

CountryBumkin

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Saved views
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 06:54:23 am »

If you do a normal backup (File>Library>Backup Library) it will backup your settings (i.e. views) too.

You can change where the backups are stored at "Tools>Options>File Location>Program Files>Library backups".

tinpanalley

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 07:19:01 am »

If you do a normal backup (File>Library>Backup Library) it will backup your settings (i.e. views) too.
You can change where the backups are stored at "Tools>Options>File Location>Program Files>Library backups".
Ok, but I don't want to backup my library. I'm only going to network into it from the laptop.

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 07:37:54 am »

If you want to access a saved view, for use in another MC installation, you want the JVI file that is produced when you save a view.  Saved Views are stored in the Saved Views directory under MC's library (database) directory.

By default, on Windows, that is located at:

C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center <version>\Library

Brian.

tinpanalley

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 10:25:07 am »

If you want to access a saved view, for use in another MC installation, you want the JVI file that is produced when you save a view.  Saved Views are stored in the Saved Views directory under MC's library (database) directory.
By default, on Windows, that is located at:
C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center <version>\Library
Brian.
Thanks Brian.
I just hit save on my view and these files were updated. They're jmd files. Do you think I need all of them?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 10:28:33 am »

I just hit save on my view and these files were updated. They're jmd files. Do you think I need all of them?

Those files are internal MC database files. You can't really do anything with them.  What are you trying to do with "saving views" ?  Is this just in case of a hard drive failure, or other similar disaster?  If so, the library backup zip files contain everything necessary to rebuild the library.

If you want to share your views with other instances of MC, by saving a view or two and then importing them into another library, then you can save JVI files.  The save option is in a really buried location, but it's there.  I have a funny feeling this isn't what you want to do though.

Brian.

tinpanalley

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 10:35:44 am »

Those files are internal MC database files. You can't really do anything with them.  What are you trying to do with "saving views" ?  Is this just in case of a hard drive failure, or other similar disaster?  If so, the library backup zip files contain everything necessary to rebuild the library.

If you want to share your views with other instances of MC, by saving a view or two and then importing them into another library, then you can save JVI files.  The save option is in a really buried location, but it's there.  I have a funny feeling this isn't what you want to do though.

Brian.
This is probably down to my not understanding the coding behind the library system.
I have the library set up to poll the folders I've selected for changes on my internal media hard drive. If I'm not mistaken, backing up the library also would back up references to those locations on my desktop's hard drive. But that backup would then be useless on the laptop which isn't physically linked to that hard drive. Is that wrong? Am I thinking of the library incorrectly?

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 10:44:06 am »

I think you have the basic ideas correct.

Maybe it would be more helpful if you describe what you are trying to accomplish.  Then we can try to point you in the right direction.

Brian.

tinpanalley

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2016, 10:47:45 am »

I think you have the basic ideas correct.
Maybe it would be more helpful if you describe what you are trying to accomplish.  Then we can try to point you in the right direction.
Brian.
As always, you've made more sense.  :)

I just want to set up the laptop layout exactly like the desktop one you helped me achieve without having to go through and do it all again. Then, I was hoping to do what I've done before which to just tap into the desktop version via my network so that I never have to actually have all that music physically accessible to the laptop.

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 10:42:48 pm »

I wanted to do that when I decided to take my laptop with me.

I wanted to open MC21 on my laptop and have it look EXACTLY like it does on my desktop. Running short on time I decided to rebuild my view on my laptop from the standard view that comes up when one first installs MC 21 on his computer. Took awhile, but I finally did it, took my trip, listened to my files, came back home and then forgot about it until reading this thread.

If I recall correctly I found the saved view in my \Library folder but when I moved that JVI file from my computer to my laptop's Library folder and then opened MC21 I couldn't figure out how to load that view. Or that view never appeared. Or something like that. Sorry to be so vague but my memory is slowly going bye-bye.
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4412
* Firefox 126; Thunderbird 116

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2016, 07:29:10 am »

I just want to set up the laptop layout exactly like the desktop one you helped me achieve without having to go through and do it all again. Then, I was hoping to do what I've done before which to just tap into the desktop version via my network so that I never have to actually have all that music physically accessible to the laptop.

There are several ways to do this.  The easiest is to just have the laptop be a Client of the desktop.  Just set up Media Network on the desktop and generate an access key.  Then you can set up access to the desktop from the laptop using that access key.  That will show you all of the views and media stored on the desktop.

Another way to do it, is to try to clone your library to the laptop.  But I don't think that's what you want in this case.

Brian.

dtc

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2016, 10:22:38 am »

As Brian said, when you save a view, it should be saved as a .jvi file in the library, in a folder called Saved Views. It looks like you were looking at the library, but not the Saved Views folder. You only get a Saved View folder after you save a view. The default views are not saved in that folder.

You can create a Saved Views folder in the library on your laptop, if there is not one there already. You can create the folder either with Explorer or by saving a view from MC. Then copy the desktop .jvi file to that folder.  You can then  choose View - Add View - Add Library View and you should be able to load the view you copied over.

It would be nice if there was a more direct way to move views, but fortunately you do not have to do it that often.

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2016, 01:51:52 pm »

You can create a Saved Views folder in the library on your laptop, if there is not one there already. You can create the folder either with Explorer or by saving a view from MC. Then copy the desktop .jvi file to that folder.  You can then  choose View - Add View - Add Library View and you should be able to load the view you copied over.

I think that is what I did but to be honest I can't recall exactly. I did create a folder named "Saved Views" on the laptop and copied my desktop .jvi file to that folder. Then it seems like I chose View and saw Add View, I thought that was only to add a view to the list of views in the Saved Views folder. Maybe "Add View" should be relabeled "Add or Select View"? The Little Lady has her laptop back now so it will be awhile before I can work more on this.

Thank you for your help!
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4412
* Firefox 126; Thunderbird 116
Pages: [1]   Go Up