INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: File associations issues  (Read 1697 times)

audioriver

• Citizen of the Universe
File associations issues
« on: June 07, 2016, 07:45:39 am »

Hello, these are two different file association issues:

1. I have set MC as the default for everything it supports, except for images (jpg, png etc.). I do not select image file association during MC installation (this is reflected in MC Options/File Types) and have also disabled Image support in Options/General/Features.

If I go to Windows 10 Control Panel/Programs/Default Programs/Set Default Programs and press "Set this program as default" for MC, it will register everything MC supports, including image files. This action removes my current associations for image files and as a side effect, causes MC to open them by default and fail opening them, because they are disabled in MC anyway.

It seems MC always reports to Windows that it can open all of its supported file types. My suggestion is to only report to Windows whatever the user has already selected within MC.

2. I think I've reported this again some years back. MC registers all its associations as "Media Center file". The problem with this is that within Window Explorer (and similar programs) it is impossible to sort them by type, because for Windows they are all of the same "Media Center file" type. The simple solution to this would be to add the file extension, for example "Media Center WAV file", "Media Center FLAC file" etc.
Windows 10 Pro x64

blgentry

Re: File associations issues
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 10:21:03 am »

Why would you want MC associated with files in the first place?  MC is most useful from inside it's own interface, where you've already imported files into it's library.  At that point it doesn't matter what program the file is associated with.  Once it's in MC's library and you click on it, in MC, MC is going to open it.

MC isn't a good "on demand" file player.  It's not designed for that.  If you want to do "on demand" playback from Windows Explorer, I would use a different program that launches quickly.  Then use MC for your actual listening needs, as opposed to doing previews from the file system.

Just my admittedly biased opinion.

Brian.

~OHM~

• "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 10:59:52 am »

Why would you want MC associated with files in the first place?  MC is most useful from inside it's own interface, where you've already imported files into it's library.  At that point it doesn't matter what program the file is associated with.  Once it's in MC's library and you click on it, in MC, MC is going to open it.

Just my admittedly biased opinion.

Brian.

Good Point!
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 11:15:39 am »

MC isn't a good "on demand" file player.  It's not designed for that.  If you want to do "on demand" playback from Windows Explorer, I would use a different program that launches quickly.
I just tested MC, playing by opening a file from Explorer.  It takes less than two seconds on my machine.  That's without running Media Server (which is a small footprint version of MC).  If I run Media Server, starting a file from Explorer takes about a second.

I would think it would be even better on a Mac.  ;)

audioriver

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 12:01:36 pm »

Please, let's stick to the issue(s). I equally use MC's own UI and other programs to launch media files. As all Windows programs, MC can register file associations and I have no MC startup speed issues (with/without the Media Server).

These two issues I mention are present and I hope you can verify them, too. Not critical issues ofc, but they go a bit against Windows' way of handling file associations.
Windows 10 Pro x64
Pages: [1]   Go Up