INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: WMP9 and CDs Ripped with MJ8  (Read 1009 times)

Pete

• Recent member
WMP9 and CDs Ripped with MJ8
« on: February 01, 2003, 10:32:57 am »

OK, my guess is that this is covered somewhere in these forums, but I've done a lot of searches and not found the answer....so please bear with me.

I've been using MJ8 (and checking out the MJ9 betas quite extensively) and love it. I have a folder on my computer of all my downloaded music (from file-sharing services) and I've ripped a good portion of my CD collection with MJ8 to other Windows folders.

I have WMP9 and was checking it out and decided to uninstall MJ8 (and MJ9 betas) for a while to check out WMP9. I now notice that all my MP3s in my "downloaded music" folder play fine with WMP9. However, NONE of my CDs I ripped with MJ8 will play on WMP9. I get a "0xC00D1199: Windows Media Player cannot play the file. The file is either corrupt or the Player does not support the format you are trying to play." I used MJ8's best quality 128kbps compression to encode the MP3 files.

I'm sure there's an explanation. Since I encoded all these CDs with MJ8, am I going to always have to have MJ on my computer, even if I decide I don't want it on my computer? Am I just overlooking a setting in WMP9? Is this a bug in WMP9 or a deliberate attempt by Microsoft not to support MJ? If I reinstall MJ on my computer, will WMP9 then play all my ripped CDs?

Thanks for any help on this question. If there is more information in the forums about this or a sticky file, please point me to it.

Thanks.

Pete

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: WMP9 and CDs Ripped with MJ8
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2003, 12:20:23 pm »

I'm sorry, but I don't know.  Microsoft might.  There is a Microsoft programmer named Zach who maintains a great FAQ here:

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html

He covers some of the newsgroups, too.

If you changed the encoding options for MP3, try using the default options and see what WMP thinks.

Pete

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2003, 05:18:21 pm »

Thanks Jim for your reply. I will check out the URL.

However, am I the only person who has had this problem? That concerns me a bit if I am. I would have thought this would be a commonly experienced issue unless there is something even more sinister at play.

Pete

Pete

• Recent member
Re: WMP9 and CDs Ripped with MJ8 - Update
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2003, 01:35:51 pm »

Hi All:

I took Jim's advice and sent a message to the microsoft.public.windowsmedia.player newsgroup explaining my problem. (I saw that Zach has a huge presence there.)  And he responded directly to me and sent me the following link within his WMP9 FAQ:

http://www.nwlink.com/~zachd/pss/pss.html#badid3

It seems that WMP9 doesn't support a lot of the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags. And I did use a lot of the tags when I ripped my CDs with MJ8 using the CDDB database and inserting cover art directly into the MP3 file. I haven't done what he suggests yet (I'll probably do it tonight), but I do find it unbelievable that WMP9 doesn't support this stuff. More reason to love MJ9.

I am a bit surprised that no one here has ran into this problem before. I notice that a lot of people using MJ8/9 also are checking out WMP9. And I would think MJ users use these tags.

So, I'll copy my directory of all my ripped CDs to a new directory and remove the ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags and see if WMP9 works then.

A couple of other questions:

1. Anyone have an idea which tags are the ones causing the problem? I'm guessing it may be the cover art JPGs I insert into the files.

2. Can I remove this information with MJ8/9 instead of WinAmp as Zach suggests? I really don't want to load yet another media player application.

Thanks for your help. I still love MJ9, but I am interested in what Microsoft is doing in this space.

Pete

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2003, 01:54:54 pm »

Pete,
Forget WMP9.  Download Media Center now and experience the next version of WMP now.

www.mediajukebox.com/mc

Jim
Pages: [1]   Go Up