INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Strange error with MP3 sync  (Read 4858 times)

Loquah

• Recent member
Strange error with MP3 sync
« on: August 15, 2016, 12:58:22 am »

I use JRiver MC21 to sync with my Android (Nexus 6P), but am finding a strange error with MP3 files.

My conversion settings are set to FLAC with the mode: Specified output format only when necessary (including high bitrates)

The supported file types include mp3 and flac in the list (along with every other option under the sun because it's Android)

When I try to sync, all FLAC files sync just fine, but each MP3 file shows up as an error. Any ideas what I should look at to solve this? It's not a big deal, but I'd like to fix it.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Strange error with MP3 sync
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2016, 06:36:27 am »

Try "Always convert".

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2016, 09:56:27 am »

My conversion settings are set to FLAC with the mode: Specified output format only when necessary (including high bitrates)

If you are trying to sync FLACs and MP3s, why would you have conversion set to FLAC?  Conversion is used to process file types that your player can't handle.  If you're only syncing FLAC and MP3 and your player can play both, you don't need conversion.  Perhaps try setting conversion to Original.

Brian.

Loquah

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2016, 04:34:17 pm »

Try "Always convert".

Thanks both, but I am trying to have high bitrate FLACs down-sampled to 44/48kHz while not converting MP3s and increasing their file size - I have limited space.

Is this possible?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2016, 05:31:40 pm »

I just did an experiment with some 24/96 FLACs and some 320kpbs MP3s.  I set up "Convert only when necessary (including high bitrates).  Converter was FLAC.  I also turned on the DSP option in conversion in order to convert to 44.1kHz (using the Output Format section).

I ended up with MP3s unchanged, and all FLACs converted down to 24bit 44.1kHz as expected.

I'm not sure what's going on with yours.  Perhaps try this to a directory on disk as a first test.  That will eliminate the portable device as part of the problem.

Brian.

Loquah

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 07:51:38 pm »

I just did an experiment with some 24/96 FLACs and some 320kpbs MP3s.  I set up "Convert only when necessary (including high bitrates).  Converter was FLAC.  I also turned on the DSP option in conversion in order to convert to 44.1kHz (using the Output Format section).

I ended up with MP3s unchanged, and all FLACs converted down to 24bit 44.1kHz as expected.

I'm not sure what's going on with yours.  Perhaps try this to a directory on disk as a first test.  That will eliminate the portable device as part of the problem.

Brian.

Thanks Brian - I'll check my settings and give that a go

Loquah

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 01:46:45 am »

I've replicated those settings, but all MP3 files still fail. Not sure what else to try...

I can convert to folders no probs at all so it's something to do with the auto-sync to the phone

blgentry

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 06:56:51 am »

So, you have it working syncing to a local hard drive folder ?

If so, I would recommend doing that.  Then use Android File Transfer to move the files from the hard drive folder to your phone.  That's what I do with my Android that has internal storage.  For my Android that has an SD card slot, I sync to the SD card in an SD card reader.

Brian.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 07:02:03 am »

If you haven't done so, try converting a file manually and dragging it to the phone to see if it plays.  Maybe you'll learn something.  Try different encoding settings.  It's possible that VBR won't work,  but 256KB will, for example.

DJLegba

« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 07:30:42 am »

The Windows version of MC21 also ignores disc number when attempting to sync to handheld devices. It will refuse to copy files that it incorrectly believes are duplicates. This was fixed on the last Mac version of MC21 but I never saw a Windows release after that. So you're better off syncing to a folder anyway, as Brian has suggested.

Loquah

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2016, 06:41:49 pm »

So, you have it working syncing to a local hard drive folder ?

If so, I would recommend doing that.  Then use Android File Transfer to move the files from the hard drive folder to your phone.  That's what I do with my Android that has internal storage.  For my Android that has an SD card slot, I sync to the SD card in an SD card reader.

Brian.

Thanks Brian. I hadn't setup handheld sync to a folder. I've done that now and it works just fine so I'll take your advice and the advice of others to approach syncing that way from now on. Many thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up