INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Got 3D MVC MKV to work with Intel HD 5100 !!  (Read 5249 times)

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Got 3D MVC MKV to work with Intel HD 5100 !!
« on: June 07, 2016, 09:49:18 pm »

Not sure if others discovered this or not, but finally have 3D working perfectly on my Intel GPU.

Secret sauce was to change the madVR setting "Rendering -> General Settings -> GPU Queue Size" set to "16".  Now that was a randomly chosen value, but after 2-4 seconds, the video seemed to "buffer" and plays back perfectly.  Will try other 3D files, but so far so good.

I think the rest of my settings are as described in the dev thread, but happy to share if others have issues.

stewart_pk

Re: Got 3D MVC MKV to work with Intel HD 5100 !!
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2016, 09:35:41 pm »

Interesting, I wonder if this setting and the CPU Queue Size setting can be changed to help madVR performance in general.
I've played around with most settings in madVR but have never changed these two.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 08:03:25 am »

i'm not sure what those settings do.  i was just randomly trying things.

i'm going to test more today - with various audio formats in the mkv file as well.  particularly interested to see if A/V synch issues arise as this is what turned me off to Kodi's fork for MVC playback.

i also need to double check that it restores the video to 2D when i stop playback of the 3D video.   this was also another issue i saw with Intel GPUs.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 08:06:51 am »

GPU queue size is rather system dependant and various values can have a different impact on different systems - hence there is no universal default value that works everywhere (although the default value chosen right now is probably fine for the majority)
3D playback in general can be rather picky and unfortunately still requires a bit careful tuning.

Glad it seems to help for you however!
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2016, 04:21:27 pm »

Well, after a lot of experimentation....

Using Full Screen Exclusive Mode -- playback eventually crashes

Using Windowed Mode -- playback eventually crashes

Will keep tweaking various settings; so close...  so close  :)

bhampster

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 06:45:19 pm »

I think the answer is to use a dedicated GPU.

I read so many people suggesting intel integrated graphics are enough for HTPC use... I read it so much I decided to remove my GTX750 and give my Intel 4600 a chance.

3D Playback was certainly inferior looking and after a few minutes JRiver crashed.

I'm glad I have a dedicated GPU... I think it helps a lot.

-Brian

WeeHappyPixie

• Galactic Citizen
  • Gonnae no dae that..
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 06:31:27 am »

I would love to see the Intel integrated graphics to show 3D via JRiver. I use StereoScopic player with my Intel HD Graphics and it's rock solid and gives excellent 3D so the chipset can do it. Problem for me in the past was finding a fanless low profile GFX card that was reliable and never produced a lot of heat. Silence is important to me.

John

apgood

• World Citizen
Re:
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 07:17:25 am »

There's a version of Kodi v17 that can do 3D with the intel gpu but I think that is because the windows dev has implemented hardware decoding for the intel gpu.

Hendrik's implementation in LAV uses software decoding because I believe hardware decoding is only possible with the intel gpu.  I'm sure Hendrik will correct if I'm wrong.

I vaguely remember Hendrik says he might implement hardware decoding for the intel gpu but that it's very low on his priority list.

Finally based on the thread in the Kodi forum even with hardware decoding enabled it is a bit picky on the combination of intel cpu/gpu and driver used.

TheShoe

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 01:21:32 pm »

Well, I can't use nVidia GPUs because they don't support 88.2 or 176.4 kHZ audio and I have a lot of FLAC audio in those formats.   I'm a bit of purist - I want bit-perfect out to my Oppo BDP-105.

As for the version of Kodi - I've gone back to it.  The latest 6/8 version is pretty much flawless 3D playback on my Intel GPU.  If I disable all the audio processing, it does bit-perfect as well (internally @ 32-bit which is fine for 24-bit sources).

I had been messing around with the RPi2 since Libreelec (Kodi) does MVC 3D, but the video quality of the SoC is terrible: way too much color-banding/solarization.

So... for the time begin, it's back to the Kodi 17 WIP.  We'll keep monitoring JRiver.  I did after all just purchase a license for v22 - I don't mind providing funding.

I may even use JRiver exclusively for Audio and Kodi for Video where I think their respective strengths lie.  Once you get the hang of JRiver tagging, it's pretty darn powerful.  It is however quite a non-intuitive interface!  And JRemote needs some love on iOS a well, but a great combo all the same.

Gotta have my 3D though.

Going to keep messing around with various settings and see if anything helps...

stewart_pk

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 08:27:19 pm »

Well I use an AMD GPU and have problems with JRiver-madVR not switching out of 3D mode with my projector.
So I tried changing the GPU size from 8 to 16 like you TheShoe for the hell of it and it might have fixed it.
But I'll try a couple more 3D blurays to be sure and report back.
Pages: [1]   Go Up