INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: [21.0.83] Searching for multi-disc albums  (Read 6312 times)

Goatshade

• Citizen of the Universe
[21.0.83] Searching for multi-disc albums
« on: June 04, 2016, 09:43:55 am »

So I'm just experimenting with the search feature, though this will serve a particular purpose for me.

Basically, I'm just wondering if it's possible to do a search only for albums with more than one disc #. Searching for:

Code: [Select]
[Disc #]=2,3,4
...will find everything with a disc 2, 3, or 4, but it will also filter out the first disc of those same albums.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
Re: [21.0.83] Searching for multi-disc albums
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2016, 10:05:53 am »

If you want an expression to work with later

Isequal([disc #],1,5)

If you are just searching and not using an expression field

[disc #]=>1

If you want a simple list of albums that have more than 1 disc, make a smartlist and use

Isequal([disc #],2,2) ~nodup=[album]

Or search with

[disc #]=2

blgentry

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 11:08:38 am »

I have a smartlist for this I made quite some time ago.  You can use the Import/Export dialog to paste this in to a smartlist on your system:

[Media Type]=[Audio] [Disc #]=>=2 ~a ~sort=[Album Artist (auto)],[Album],[Disc #]

Brian.

Goatshade

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2016, 03:45:46 pm »

Wouldn't that smartlist just exclude any file who Disc # is 1? Perhaps there's something about that expression I'm not understanding.

EDIT: Nevermind. I see. The ~a parameter acts as a workaround. I like it! :D

Goatshade

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2016, 04:06:19 pm »

Okay. Cool. Would it be possible to sort the contents of these smartlists by the date they were added to the smartlist (not the library), with the most recent additions being at the top?

I made two, the other one for one-disc albums, with some modifications to the string:

One-disc:
[Media Type]=[Audio] [Disc #]=<=1 -[Rating (ten stars)]=[] ~sort=[Album Artist (auto)],[Album],[Disc #],[Track #]Multi-disc:
[Media Type]=[Audio] [Disc #]=>=2 -[Rating (ten stars)]=[] ~a ~sort=[Album Artist (auto)],[Album],[Disc #],[Track #]
Alternatively (and I doubt this), could I automate, via the smartlists, a conversion with the following parameters?

MP3 VBR (Extreme)
Convert to this folder: C:\Users\71bla\OneDrive\Music\ and create levels of folder structure (3 for the one-disc smartlist, 4 for the multi-disc smartlist)
Leave original file; do not add destination file to library

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2016, 06:00:25 pm »

Okay. Cool. Would it be possible to sort the contents of these smartlists by the date they were added to the smartlist (not the library), with the most recent additions being at the top?

Smartlists have not concept of "added date", as the contents of a smartlist change based upon the library contents.  You could certainly use the Date Imported field, but you say you don't want to use the date they appeared in the library.  So I'm not sure what your criteria is.  You might be able to make a new field to hold some information that would let you sort the way you want.  Give an example or two and maybe we can figure something out.

I made two, the other one for one-disc albums, with some modifications to the string:

Alternatively (and I doubt this), could I automate, via the smartlists, a conversion with the following parameters?

MP3 VBR (Extreme)
Convert to this folder: C:\Users\71bla\OneDrive\Music\ and create levels of folder structure (3 for the one-disc smartlist, 4 for the multi-disc smartlist)
Leave original file; do not add destination file to library

I'm not clear on what you mean by automate.  You can use a Handheld Sync definition to do what you're saying above for each smartlist and it will run whenever you press Sync.  But again, I'm not sure what you're trying to accomplish.  It must be the Sake I just had with dinner.  :)

Brian.

Goatshade

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2016, 06:14:58 pm »

Basically, the end-state I'm going for is that all audio files be converted to MP3 VBR Extreme and uploaded to my OneDrive whenever they are rated (I have Windows 10 Mobile phone with OneDrive and Groove Music, and like to exploit the integration between the two). One of the drives failed in my RAID 0 array a couple of months ago, and after starting anew in RAID 5, I've been gradually re-ripping my music ever since. I decided then that, instead of mass-ripping everything, I would rip by album and listen and rate as I go.

Goatshade

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 11:01:33 pm »

Okay, I mostly have it.

Would it be possible to sort by "Date Last Rated", sorted by "Date (newest first)"? There is a "Date First Rated", and that works for what I want, until I try to work with files that were previously rated, then had their ratings removed, and then rated again.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 06:45:44 am »

Why the sorting at all?  If you just make a smartlist that contains songs with ratings, all rated songs will get added to it.

Then, make a handheld sync definition that uses that smartlist as it's sync source.  Handheld sync is designed to be run periodically and copy *only* the new files.  It won't copy the same thing over and over again.  So, each time you run it, you'll get the new stuff copied over and all of the original stuff will still be there.

Does that help any?

Brian.

Goatshade

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 12:37:26 pm »

It can, if the handheld sync definition in question can be configured to convert the files in question to MP3 VBR Extreme (my library consists of APE's and MKA's) and place the output files in my OneDrive folder, as opposed to a handheld.

I wanted the last-rated files at the top of the smartlist because, failing this, I'll just manually convert as more files are added. Having new stuff right at the top makes it much simpler.

blgentry

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2016, 01:39:57 pm »

Handheld sync can convert to many formats, including MP3.  Extreme VBR is one of the selections available.  I would never use it, but it's there if you want it.  I'd personally just go to 320kpbs CBR and be done with it.

Sync can be pointed to a directory on your disk drive, so I think it will work with onedrive.  If it appears as a disk, MC should be able to sync to it.

Good luck!

Brian.

Goatshade

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2016, 01:43:11 pm »

Mmm, I see. I'll need to test it when I get home. Where do I find this feature? Under "Handheld"?

Goatshade

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 11:07:34 pm »

I found it. It's working beautifully. :D

...Except, one problem: how is it that [Disc #] is still not respected during handheld syncs?

Example: I have the limited edition of Antimatter's album, Fear of a Unique Identity, which has two discs. Track 4 on both discs is a version of "Firewalking". I have a separate field that I use for specifying track version, so that information does not appear in [Name]. This results in track 4 on disc 2 being treated as a duplicate.

Can this be fixed? This has been an issue literally for years.

blgentry

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2016, 09:17:18 am »

I found it. It's working beautifully. :D

Hey hey, cool!  Glad to hear it's working.

...Except, one problem: how is it that [Disc #] is still not respected during handheld syncs?

Example: I have the limited edition of Antimatter's album, Fear of a Unique Identity, which has two discs. Track 4 on both discs is a version of "Firewalking". I have a separate field that I use for specifying track version, so that information does not appear in [Name]. This results in track 4 on disc 2 being treated as a duplicate.

Can this be fixed? This has been an issue literally for years.

This was brought up recently in the Mac forum also.  It was new to me, but I verified that this is "a bug".  No one from JRiver had anything to say about it.  Maybe if you opened a separate thread about it, it might get some attention?

There are workarounds, but they are ugly.  One workaround is to renumber all of the tracks on albums like this.  Make a composite track # composed of [Disc #][Track #] .  So Disc 1 track 4 becomes 14 and disc 2 track 4 becomes 24.  You can do this all in one shot with an expression like:

=[Disc #][Track #]

I would save off the original track # first though.  Into a field like "Track # (original)" or something like that.

Again, this is an ugly workaround, but it does work.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2016, 02:39:00 am »

I use '[Disc #]-[Track #] [Name]' for the file name for all the albums I have with more than one disc. For albums with just one disc, I use '[Track #] [Name]'. No need to create another field to remember what the original Track number was. It is always visible.

I use the simple search of [disc #]=>=1 applied to the Album View to find any albums with more than one Disc. Because there is only a number in there if there is more than one disc, and then all files in the album will have a value in the [Disc #] tag. That simple search finds all tracks in all albums which have more than one disc, making it easy to do mass renames and other maintenance functions.

My file naming solves the problem of respecting the [Disc #] tag during Handheld syncs, raised in the thread over here: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=105448.0.

What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 07:06:39 am »

^ My suggested workaround above is to change the [Track #] field to be a composite field made up of disc # and track #.  This is ugly, but it gets around the duplicate detection logic.  As noted in another thread a few minutes ago, this bug is about metadata, not file naming.

Roderick, you're always very helpful.  Just correcting you a little bit here.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up