INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Zone, and default audio device questions  (Read 4325 times)

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Zone, and default audio device questions
« on: June 07, 2016, 08:12:34 pm »

I would like to use jriver to switch my PC's audio device between my SPDIF driver, and JRiver's WDM driver based on what is being played on the PC at any given time.  I am thinking I can assign the SPDIF driver to one zone, and the WDM driver to another zone, and get jriver to switch between zones based on the file type being played.  I do this because I have audio/video sync issues when I use the PC to watch Hulu, Vudu, etc.   I have changed settings in JRiver to correct for the problem but, if this fix fails, then I would like to have a backup plan.  I'm at a loss as to how exactly to accomplish this so any guidance would be appreciated.  Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Zone, and default audio device questions
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 08:16:04 pm »

You should be able to do that with ZoneSwitch.

http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=76605.0

jachin99

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 09:34:29 pm »

I always run jriver on my pc for the remote control features.  While i am watching hulu, youtube etc. I notice ipc is displaued in now playing.  Can i configure zone switch to see ipc as an individual file or file extension type and make changes or would i have to use some other zoneswitch criteria value to do this.  Is it more common to build expressions or use the gui to create rulesets?

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 11:52:38 pm »

I always run jriver on my pc for the remote control features.  While i am watching hulu, youtube etc. I notice ipc is displaued in now playing.  Can i configure zone switch to see ipc as an individual file or file extension type and make changes or would i have to use some other zoneswitch criteria value to do this.  Is it more common to build expressions or use the gui to create rulesets?

Yes, you can configure zoneswitch to trigger based on when the wdm driver engages (ipc).  There's an article on the wiki about it: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Wdm#Problems_With_Streaming_Video_Using_Media_Center.27s_Internal_Browser_and.2For_Erasing_Playing_Now

jachin99

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2016, 04:26:58 pm »

Yes, you can configure zoneswitch to trigger based on when the wdm driver engages (ipc).  There's an article on the wiki about it: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Wdm#Problems_With_Streaming_Video_Using_Media_Center.27s_Internal_Browser_and.2For_Erasing_Playing_Now

The article that post points to describes how to switch audio devices within JRiver.  I want to switch audio devices based on which audio track is playing through the driver.  I tried what was described in the wiki anyway, and it not switching zone, I'll play around with it some more on my own but any advice might still be helpful. 

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2016, 06:06:36 pm »

^ As far as I know, JRiver can only do Zone Switch based on what MC itself is playing.  I don't think MC has any ability to discern what is being played via WDM and thus can not do any zone switch based upon that.

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2016, 06:22:37 pm »

^ As far as I know, JRiver can only do Zone Switch based on what MC itself is playing.  I don't think MC has any ability to discern what is being played via WDM and thus can not do any zone switch based upon that.

Brian.

Correct.  JRiver knows that something is trying to play to the WDM driver and can switch based on that (i.e. internal playback and WDM playback can go to different zones), but there's no way to distinguish what's trying to play on the WDM driver.

If you think about it for a second, there isn't really a way that could work: the WDM driver just outputs from the windows system mixer; there could be system sounds, a youtube video, and background music all playing at the same time; how would JRiver distinguish those sources?

jachin99

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2016, 06:45:35 pm »

When i watch hulu ipc shows in the now playing section of jriver, even when hulu is played as a standalone program on the pc.  Im trying to get zoneswitch to read that ipc is playing and change either
1. The default audio device from wdm to spdif dac OR
2. Turn off output encoding
Im thinking if jriver sees the audio source as IPC then it knows to some degree that a streaming source is being played weather that streaming source is being played inside of jriver or not

RD James

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2016, 02:07:41 am »

I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve here.
Are you wanting:
  1. Playback inside JRiver goes to device(or configuration) A.
  2. Playback outside of JRiver goes to device(or configuration) B to avoid lip-sync errors.
Because that would be achieved with two zones and a zone switch rule for IPC.

If what you're trying to achieve is:
 1. If JRiver is playing IPC audio, set device A as the system default.
 2. If JRiver is not playing IPC audio, set device B as the system default.
Then that wouldn't be possible. IPC Audio is the "JRiver Media Center" playback device.
If it's not set as the default device, then there will never be any IPC audio.

jachin99

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2016, 09:47:42 pm »

I'm not really sure what you're trying to achieve here.
Are you wanting:
  1. Playback inside JRiver goes to device(or configuration) A.
  2. Playback outside of JRiver goes to device(or configuration) B to avoid lip-sync errors.
Because that would be achieved with two zones and a zone switch rule for IPC.

This is what I am trying to achieve.  I think I misunderstood that IPC is the jriver audio driver (WDM), which is set as the default device on the PC, and that might be the cause of some of the confusion.  After some playing around, I have it switching but I'm thinking I need a way to prioritize zones so to speak.  When I play from my local files, it will stop playback within my streaming media zone but when I open hulu, it will not stop playback from my player zone.  I have my zone switch rules configured so that playback in one zone stops playback in the next but my player zone seems to take priority no matter what.  How would I get my streaming media zone to stop playback within the player.  My streaming media zone switch rule is at the top of my ruleset BTW.  Thanks.
Pages: [1]   Go Up