INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: 3 apparently simple questions  (Read 4326 times)

yannis

• World Citizen
3 apparently simple questions
« on: June 11, 2016, 02:25:18 am »

Here are some small issues for which I can't find a answer in the forum. Could you help?

1. I prefer my filenames saved as \[Album Artist (auto)] - Album\[Track] - [Name] - [Artist]. Since I started using the semicolon in the artist field, I can't save more than the string up to the fist semicolon. How can I tell the Rename function to include all artists?  (It saves "Crosby" but not Stills; Nash)

2. This also affects [Album Artist (auto)]. Even if all songs have the same artists -e.g. Crosby; Stills; Nash- it's populated only with [Crosby], unless I manually change [Album Artist]. How can I make  [Album Artist (auto)] to read all names?

3. Despite the above, in pane views based on [Album Artist (auto)], disks with one or more guests in some artist field (but not in all of them) appear as Various Arists, even if the [Album Artist] is hand-filled with the main artist. I would have liked the opposite here; how can I have only the main artist mentioned?

EDIT: In case the 3d one doesn't make sense, see pic.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: 3 apparently simple questions
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 02:40:51 am »

1 & 2 - I believe the semicolon is used as a separator, and the Album Artist (auto) doesn't accept multiple values, thus it gets to the separator and doesn't read any further. You may be stuck using a comma.

If one is to be pedantic, the artists' offical website states the name as Crosby, Stills & Nash. I'd be using that as the Album Artist field.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 02:48:43 am »

You're right about CSN, so I added a pic with a more suitable example.

imugli

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 03:02:25 am »

You can -

Set the Artist Field using commas. Again, the artist field doesn't allow multiple values, so you're literally creating a new "Artist" as opposed to adding existing artists to that particular track.

ALTERNATIVELY

You can create a custom, semi-colon separated list field.

Tools > Options > Library & Folders > Manage Library Fields

Try using that custom field in your filename.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 04:58:15 am »

Using commas beats the point of switching to the [;]. When I search Al Green [Artist] it doesn't show songs by "Al Green, Anthony Hamilton". I could search for [Album Artist], but there are other disks were the [Album Artist] doesn't help.

And what about q3. Isn't this behaviour contradictory with the other two?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2016, 07:55:28 am »

1.  If you want your semi-colon separate artists to be shown in a different way in the file name, use replace() to change the semi-colon to something else, in your Rename expression.  Examples:

replace([Album Artist (auto)],;,_)
replace([Album Artist (auto)],;,/ )

Just insert those where you normally would put [Album Artist (auto)] .

3.  This question isn't common, but it's come up numerous times.  See my post here on how to "fix it":

https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=104177.msg724144#msg724144

Good luck.

Brian.

ferday

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2016, 09:48:23 am »

i use this for split albums

Code: [Select]
(Multiple Artists)\listitem([album artist]&datatype=[string],0,;) vs. listitem([album artist],1,;)\[album]-
it splits the semi-colon delimited list (in my case album artist) into the parts so

artist 1;artist 2 changes into

artist 1 vs. artist 2

i would think this could be used in your case for 1. to split out the artists.  it's a workaround, not a solution, but it can work well in the right circumstance.

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2016, 03:56:04 pm »

@ferday: Thanks, but I'd prefer to have the album listed under [Al Green] not Mult.Artists.

@blgentry: This seems more interesting, but I can't make it work; could you elaborate as to where I place the replace()  expression? I tried a few, but failed. As for #3, it's a detailed thread you link to, I'll have to check it tomorrow, it''s too late in this time zone.

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2016, 04:53:07 pm »

@blgentry: This seems more interesting, but I can't make it work; could you elaborate as to where I place the replace()  expression? I tried a few, but failed.

You put into the Rename, Move, and Copy tool dialog where you have your rules for Directory.  So instead of:

[Album Artist (auto)]/[Album]

you put:

replace([Album Artist (auto)],;,/ )/[Album]

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2016, 06:33:47 pm »

Shouldn't that replace be operating on the [Artist] tag in the file name and not the [Album Artist (auto)] tag in the directory name?

So using the template:
\[Album Artist (auto)] - Album\[Track] - [Name] - [Artist]

Track 3 would become:

\Al Green - Lay It Down\3 - You've Got the Love I Need - Al Green, Anthony Hamilton.mp3

Regardless I couldn't get the Replace function to convert "Al Green; Anthony Hamilton" to "Al Green, Anthony Hamilton", because it is a delimited list tag/field.

There was some talk about converting such tags, which include the ";" to literals first, before applying Functions in that way. I think that was in the thread about the Swap and Unswap functions, a while back.

If the above is what Yannis was looking for, perhaps you can provide a solution that works Brian? Because I can't at the moment.  ;D

Wait! Got it!

\[Album Artist (auto)] - Album\[Track #] - [Name] - replace(field(Artist, 0),;,/,)

This also works;

\[Album Artist (auto)] - Album\[Track #] - [Name] - replace([Artist, 0],;,/,)

So the Filename rule in the Rename, Move & Copy Files function is just;
[Track #] - [Name] - replace([Artist, 0],;,/,)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

yannis

• World Citizen
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2016, 03:50:23 am »

Yes, the Filename rule does work!

The two above also work, but place each file in its own subfolder.
Pages: [1]   Go Up