INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Deinterlacing - LAV W3FDIF (Weston Three Field Complex)  (Read 15828 times)

Hilton

• Citizen of the Universe
Deinterlacing - LAV W3FDIF (Weston Three Field Complex)
« on: June 11, 2016, 06:02:13 am »

Hey all!

I've spent a few hours playing with deinterlacing this afternoon because I've been ripping a bunch of my DVDs and just wasn't at all happy with the video quality.

However..... I stumbled on a new algorithm in LAV that does a wonderful job and just thought I'd share!

W3FDIF (Weston Three Field Complex) in LAV does a much better deinterlacing job than YADIF or MadVR. Thanks for adding this Hendrik!

MadVR deinterlacing creates too many combing artifacts for me but LAV w3dif is wonderful!

It really does make watching up scaled DVD so much less distracting and now I'm really enjoying my old movies instead of getting annoyed at deinterlacing artifacts!  Thanks again Hendrik you Rock! :)

CountryBumkin

Re: Deinterlacing - LAV W3FDIF (Weston Three Field Complex)
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2016, 12:26:22 pm »

Is it on by default or do you need to go into LAV settings?

RD James

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2016, 06:50:14 pm »

There shouldn't be any deinterlacing artifacts if you're watching movies.
Set madVR to force film mode or tag the filenames with [deint=film]

Hilton

Deinterlacing - LAV W3FDIF (Weston Three Field Complex)
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2016, 07:30:48 pm »

You need to go with custom video filter and edit LAV settings instead of using ROHQ.

RD if only it were that simple with DVD.  There are a lot of bad DVD masters out there that have a number of problems that can confuse deinterlacers. Bad flags, things they get wrong: encoded as interlaced, encoded as progressive, sped up for pal with bad flags. Most of the problem DVDs in question are also video of rock concerts, not film. Hope this explains.  Also the deinterlacer in MADvr doesn't do very good motion compensation so I see heaps of deinterlacing combing effects where it can't do the required motion compensation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RD James

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2016, 08:51:09 pm »

Yes, for video DVDs the situation is different and I've yet to find anything ideal for that.
But for movies film mode should be free of artifacts.

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 01:35:29 pm »

how do you edit LAV settings?

CountryBumkin

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2016, 03:13:19 pm »

how do you edit LAV settings?

You would need to install an "external version" of LAV (and not use the built in version).

codpiece

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2016, 07:00:03 pm »

Thanks...that's what I thought

audioriver

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2016, 05:34:53 am »

A "madVR settings" option has been added to the Video/ROHQ section, maybe something similar could be done with the LAV settings? This way we could have both the nice automation of RO/ROHQ and the ability to configure LAV/madVR without having to install them externally, too.
Windows 10 Pro x64

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2016, 05:56:33 am »

A "madVR settings" option has been added to the Video/ROHQ section, maybe something similar could be done with the LAV settings? This way we could have both the nice automation of RO/ROHQ and the ability to configure LAV/madVR without having to install them externally, too.

LAV is fully automatically configured by MC, there are no settings to access, sorry. If you want custom settings, you need to go the custom route as explained here.
Note that the Hardware Deinterlacing used by MC by default is generally higher quality for the majority of content. A few badly authored DVDs may be an exception.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters
Pages: [1]   Go Up