INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Is there any chance JRiver could include an "Undo" command?  (Read 4067 times)

redonion

• Recent member

I find that often I am working to create a playlist only to have a slip of the fingers put an album listing where my playlist was.  

Oh, how I wish I could get back that last instant!

Is it possible that JRiver could include and "Undo" command so that fumble fingered folks like myself could recover from our spastic fingers?  That would be sweet!

redonion

PS:  I am running JRiver 21 on Windows 10.  JRiver 21 works very well on Windows 10.  Enjoy!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Is there any chance JRiver could include an "Undo" command?
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2016, 02:55:02 am »

There already is an undo and a redo, both on the Edit menu and via the normal Ctrl-Z and Ctrl-Y key combinations. Of course it doesn't work for all type of changes in MC, just as the equivalent isn't always available in other applications, depending on what is being done at the time.

But I don't understand from your description how you are making a Playlist, and hence how you "put an Album listing where my playlist was." There are lots of ways to create a Playlist:
Drag and Drop onto an existing Playlist name in the left navigation menu.
Select Tracks or Albums then Right Click and Send To>Playlist, then select the existing Playlist you want to use, or create a new one.
The "Build Playlist" function in the Action Window, where you both create a Playlist and then build it by Dragging and Dropping tracks into the Action Window.
Right Click on an existing Playlist and select "Edit Playlist in Action Window..."
Import a Playlist from a file using the Top Menu>File>Import Playlist.
Import a Playlist from Doctor Who.
Build a temporary Playlist in Playing Now.
Create a Playlist from what's currently in Playing Now.

and who knows, there may be more.

So if the Undo isn't available for what you are doing, exactly how are you creating a Playlist, and do you know what key combination your fingers hit to replace the Playlist with an Album Listing? A good description of your workflow, and maybe a screenshot would help, if you want suggestions as to how to make the process a little bit more "all thumbs" proof.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

redonion

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2016, 03:47:49 am »

Huh.

I agree, there is an "Undo" and a "Redo" option on the edit menu.  I never noticed them before as they've never become active for me.  Ever. 

Anyhow, thanks so much for your reply!  It is much appreciated. 

Maybe the issue is I am a complete spaz.  I generally use JRiver with a playlist on the left of the screen and an album view on the right of the screen.  On the bottom of the right side of the screen I have a list of the tracks on whatever album I have clicked to highlight on the top of the right side of the screen.  I build my playlists by right clicking on the track I want in the file view on the bottom right and moving the cursor up to "Add to playing now."  This puts the track on the playlist.  However, sometimes I'll over shoot the "Add to playing now" option and instead hit "Play."  This deletes my previous playlist and plays only the track that I accidentally "chose" to play.  There is no Undo or Redo available from this. 

It bugs me that accidentally clicking on "Play" will delete a playlist and leave me no way to get back to it.  "Undo" and "Redo" just sit there, grayed out as they always are.   

Thank you again for your time and trouble on this issue!

redonion

gappie

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 05:24:35 am »

Huh.

I agree, there is an "Undo" and a "Redo" option on the edit menu.  I never noticed them before as they've never become active for me.  Ever. 

Anyhow, thanks so much for your reply!  It is much appreciated. 

Maybe the issue is I am a complete spaz.  I generally use JRiver with a playlist on the left of the screen and an album view on the right of the screen.  On the bottom of the right side of the screen I have a list of the tracks on whatever album I have clicked to highlight on the top of the right side of the screen.  I build my playlists by right clicking on the track I want in the file view on the bottom right and moving the cursor up to "Add to playing now."  This puts the track on the playlist.  However, sometimes I'll over shoot the "Add to playing now" option and instead hit "Play."  This deletes my previous playlist and plays only the track that I accidentally "chose" to play.  There is no Undo or Redo available from this. 

It bugs me that accidentally clicking on "Play" will delete a playlist and leave me no way to get back to it.  "Undo" and "Redo" just sit there, grayed out as they always are.   

Thank you again for your time and trouble on this issue!

redonion
actually i agree with you.. it would be nice if undo would work in that instance too.. it happens to me also oft enough..
but there is something that helps a bit, although it takes more clicks.
when it happens again, go to playlists and then to recent playing nows and double click (the latest) list.

:)
gab

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 06:10:54 pm »

Thanks for describing your workflow.

Gappie's idea is a good way to get back your Playlist. You should get back all the Playlist. I'm not sure if it saves the Playlist with every file added, but it does seem to save whenever you clear the Playlist, so if you accidently click the Play function instead of the Add to Playing Now function, MC will save the Playing Now Playlist before it overwrites it.

To avoid the problem you could change the behaviour of double clicking on a file so that it adds to the Playing Now Playlist instead of playing the file. Options>General>Behaviour>Double Click: Add to Playing Now (to end). Or you could pick one of the other options. Of course that only works on one file at a time, so you would still need to use the right click if selecting a group of files to add to Playing Now.

I was thinking about using a button on the toolbar instead of right clicking, but there isn't a button to Add to Playing Now available.

You could create a keyboard shortcut to add to Playing Now. But that is a bit of work. The default Keyboard shortcuts/Hot Keys are listed here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Keyboard_Hot-keys, and the method to add a Hot Key is here: http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/User_Defined_Global_Keyboard_Shortcuts. Something like Alt-Z might be good, since the keys are close together, so you could use the mouse to scroll to and click on a file, then Ctrl-Z to add it to Playing Now.

Just throwing idea out to avoid the problem. Since I can't change the software functionality, I just work out how to make it work for me as is. Enjoy the music!  :D
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

redonion

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2016, 07:02:38 pm »

Thanks to RoderickGI and gappie for the tips!  I guess I just need to be more careful with the mousing, and coach my friends too.  The disappearing playlists always seem to happen just as the party is warming up.

Anyhow, thanks for the help!

redonion

redonion

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2016, 05:44:25 am »

So, no feedback from the powers that be on this issue? 

I have to admit, that as an audio user, there is less and less reason to update JRiver these days.  As an audio user the application is pretty much transparent, so I can't hear any audio "improvements."  Neither do I care about any of the video doohickeys that are touted these days. 

However, if JRiver could come out with an interface improvement that allows me to recover a playlist that has been accidentally deleted, and how hard could that be, really?, I would happily pay good money to have that feature. 

I will say this.  I am running JRiver 21 at present.  Unless JRiver delivers an audible upgrade to MC, or a clear, appreciable upgrade to the interface of JRiver, such as allowing a user to recover an accidentally deleted playlist, I'll be staying on JRiver 21 from now on.

There's just no point to upgrading JRiver other wise.

redonion

gappie

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2016, 05:58:16 am »

So, no feedback from the powers that be on this issue?  

I have to admit, that as an audio user, there is less and less reason to update JRiver these days.  As an audio user the application is pretty much transparent, so I can't hear any audio "improvements."  Neither do I care about any of the video doohickeys that are touted these days.  

However, if JRiver could come out with an interface improvement that allows me to recover a playlist that has been accidentally deleted, and how hard could that be, really?, I would happily pay good money to have that feature.  

I will say this.  I am running JRiver 21 at present.  Unless JRiver delivers an audible upgrade to MC, or a clear, appreciable upgrade to the interface of JRiver, such as allowing a user to recover an accidentally deleted playlist, I'll be staying on JRiver 21 from now on.

There's just no point to upgrading JRiver other wise.

redonion
as i said before i would like the undo option, but mc has an option to recover a playlist. its called recent playing nows. everytime you add a file, or you replace accidentally playing now with one file, it is stored in recent playing nows..
if you dont see the recent playing nows, go to tools>options>features and enable it..  8)

:)
gab

RD James

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2016, 10:41:54 am »

I would also like to see an undo option for changes to Playing Now.
Manually finding the correct previous playlist is far more work than hitting CTRL+Z.

I'd also like to see a "Last Added" tag for files for similar reasons.
Custom views incorporating the "Last Added" time would be far more useful than the current "Recent Playing Nows" view.
Pages: [1]   Go Up