INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Popping sounds?  (Read 1388 times)

MidPack

• Recent member
  • MC9 & iPodv3 - doesn't get much better...
Popping sounds?
« on: August 09, 2003, 04:23:41 am »

Only rarely, but about 4 of my 1200 songs has popping noises in it, sounds like a scratched record (back in the vinyl days), but obviously it's not. I guessed it must be static on the CD during ripping. I have cleaned those CD's and re-ripped the songs, but the songs still have pops in them, although I would swear not in exactly the same places. Is it static and if so, how do I positively get rid of it? If not, what might it be (MC9.1, my CDROM, screensaver,?)?

For the record, it's not just on my iPod, it's on the PC mp3 files too. And it's not between songs (another iPod problem), it's random (far as I know) during the songs.

Got this asking on the lounge from an MMJB user, couldn't find an MC9.1 equivalent myself.
enable "Digital error correction" That solved the pops for me.
None of the answers I got there worked.

KingSparta

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Popping sounds?
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 05:00:30 am »

it is hard to say.

you should post your system info from, help, system info

do you hear it with other mp3 players on the same file?

if so it is in the mp3 and not just in the play back.

if it is in the play back you might can turn on or off some of the settings in the DSP.

I know the MC9 DSP works rather bad on my sound board (SB Audigy Audio [DF80] so i can not turn it on.

there mayalso be some items in windows that needs muted, like the mic, line-in or aux somtimes they will cause problems and introduce sound.
Retired Military, Airborne, Air Assault, And Flight Wings.
Model Trains, Internet, Ham Radio
https://MyAAGrapevines.com
https://centercitybbs.com
Fayetteville, NC, USA

LisaRCT

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 06:32:25 am »

Just a guess, but these noises may be caused by clipping.
You can check for clipping by openning the DSP studio in MC and watching the peak level at the bottom of the window . . . . if the peaks hit 100% often (with "Clip Protection" on, or exceed 100% with it off) for extended periods, this could cause some noise or distortion.  
Try setting the 'Overflow Handling' set to 'Clip Protection' if not already set.
Alternatively you can check for clipping, and if needed tame some offending peaks using a free program called
'MP3 Gain'  http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain/ which will do 'volume normalizing'.
Worst case senerio you will need to delete the offending files and re-rip them.
Even if you need to delete these files, with 4 out of 1200 files you are only dealing with a 0.33% fail rate, you can't complain there.

MachineHead

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2003, 07:54:44 am »

Alternatively you can check for clipping, and if needed tame some offending peaks using a free program called
'MP3 Gain'  http://www.geocities.com/mp3gain/ which will do 'volume normalizing'.

Note that this is a permenant alteration to your files. Not tagged based. Caution should be used with MP3Gain. If it is only a few files you'll probably be OK with it. Whole library, I wouldn't dare do it. MC will will R.G. your files with id3v2 tags. Foobar will do the same but use APEv2 tags, which MC should support... (Matt??).

Another possible solution would be the use of WaveGain. This will also alter the wav files before encoding, but is quite possibly a better alternative than MP3Gain. You wouldn't have to R.G. them then because they would already be done ahead of time. You'd have to judge for yourself what options fits your needs.

phelt

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2003, 02:04:45 pm »

MachineHead: actually the newest version of MP3 Gain does store undo and analysis information within tags. I haven't had any problems with it.

Bartabedian

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2003, 02:06:36 pm »

If clicks happen in different places, it could be the rip, but may more likely be a soundcard issue (latest drivers?) or other output function (dsp,clipping,etc.)

MachineHead

« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2003, 02:28:39 pm »

Yes, it alters the file (so does adding a tag).

A tag will be ignored by a portable if not supported. Try that with MP3Gain.

And, most importantly, no, it is not a permanent alteration (that is why it only alters volume in 1.5 dB increments).

Unless you keep specific info with the latest version, it is permanent.

(Try telling yourself, after doing several thousand files, that it wasn't the best thing in the world to do. After getting burned with this program I'd just as soon not have anything alter a file in any way, shape, or form. Otherwise what is the point of having accurate audio reproduction? Alter your files any way you see fit.)

Most likely this isn't a clipping issue anyway. Static isn't likely either. Those suckers spin fast, but they are grounded so it shouldn't be an issue. Try EAC or MC in digital secure ripping modes. MC also has an error correction mode that might make short work of an error during a rip if digital secure doesn't.
Pages: [1]   Go Up