INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Physical Remote?  (Read 2221 times)

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Physical Remote?
« on: June 14, 2016, 09:32:12 am »

Are there plans to use a physical remote for this?  I keep seeing mentions of an app.  Perhaps I'm in the minority, but I can't stand using a phone as a remote for my room.  You have to turn the screen on, make sure the app is up, then look at the remote to find the mute button.  With a physical remote, I know exactly where the mute button is without ever looking at it.  I went with a Harmony remote about 2 years ago for this reason and love it.  It controls my HTPC, the Netflix app on my TV, uses a bluetooth connection, and works wonderfully.

I saw this on their site the other day and thought "that looks like something I could use to control the lights."  Meanwhile, I've been following the discussion here since this forum was opened, and can't seem to get on board:

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/harmony-companion?crid=60

Thanks!

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Physical Remote?
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2016, 10:10:57 am »

I understand the need for a physical remote and I agree with you.

What we're working on now is the engine that communicates with Z-Wave / IoT devices.  It's designed to be able to support multiple user interfaces: terminal commands, web pages, apps, etc.  It is possible to support a hardware remote, but we haven't spent any time on it yet.

If your hardware remote can send a URL, it might be made to work now.

We plan to add a lighting section to the Theater View interface, so you would be able to use an MC Remote or equivalent to navigate and make changes.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
Re: Physical Remote?
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2016, 11:44:14 am »

Cool - thanks for the follow-up and that makes a bit more sense to me now.  I wish the Harmony had a more open API to send web commands.  That would make it much easier to use MCWS with it.  Instead I have to map bluetooth keys to an AutoHotKey script that then sends an MCC.  Works, but far more 'clunky' than sending directly to MCWS.  I haven't followed up on that with the Harmony remote is probably a year or so, I guess it's possible they added a web services side to the hub, but not all that involved in their community.

Good to hear about the Theatre View section - I like that idea to keep things all together in one interface.  Thanks!
Pages: [1]   Go Up