INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Album Artist vs Artist fields...  (Read 1146 times)

digitaltrapper

• Junior Woodchuck
  • Go smurf yourself...
Album Artist vs Artist fields...
« on: August 09, 2003, 09:30:43 am »

I know I am missing the obvious here but how do I use the "Album Artist" and "Artist" fields?

For example, if I want the album sorted under "Various Artists" but I still want to tag the artist for that individual track, which field do I use?

crowfan

• Galactic Citizen
  • For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you.
Re: Album Artist vs Artist fields...
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2003, 09:55:49 am »

It depends on what version you're using. the following applies to 9.1 versions, which include panes.

Every track has both fields associated with it. So for each track you can set the Artist and the Album Artist (this statement applies to 9.0 versions).  When you play the song in MC, you can see it by the artist name. You can set up the panes to view either one, so it's up to you how you want to view it.

I have the "encomium" album (Zeppelin tribute). 4 Non Blondes do a song on that album. When I have the pane set to Album Artist, there is no entry for 4 Non Blondes in the list, because I am only viewing album artist, which is set to Various Artists. If I change the pane to Artist, 4 Non Blondes shows up, with only one entry (their song from Encomium). AS far as I know, you can't have it both ways, but I may be wrong....

Hope this is what you're looking for and isn't too confusing,
crow
"It's going to be a trilogy."   Robert Jordan, circa 1989

phelt

Re: Album Artist vs Artist fields...
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2003, 12:27:52 pm »

I thought MC handled Various Artists automatically... but I avoid that, so I could be wrong.

Here's what I do with various or multiple artist albums:
Put each song's performer/artist in the Artist field.

Put pertinent info in the Album Artist field - this could be the name of the DJ who mixed the album, or whatever you want it to be.

Change or add a pane column to Album Artist (auto) - this will use the Album Artist data if there is any, or use the Artist info if not.

In the list window at the bottom of MC I have columns for both Artist and Album Artist displayed. It's nice  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up