INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Audio Setting Problem - Cant get 7.1  (Read 5096 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Audio Setting Problem - Cant get 7.1
« on: June 15, 2016, 09:05:16 pm »

Guys I hope someone can help me as Im just about going nuts!

Ive just replaced my gear to a McIntosh 160 and things arnt right.

I have DSP set to stereo, if I don't when I play 2 channel files I don't get dialog through the centre channel, its important I do.
Someone else on here said I needed to set DSP to stereo to get the dialog through the centre channel...so that part is ok...

But when I play 7.1 films, although the audio path states its 8 channels, the input on my 160 only ever states its receiving 5.1 channels, then its upmixing the 5.1 to 7.1

I have tried a million settings in JR audio, but cant get the 7.1 from JR to display as 7.1 input on my 160 Mac
Please take a look at the images and let me know what Im doing wrong  ?

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B2t2dvReysV9RFlucnZVb3pWb3c&usp=sharing

murray

Re: Audio Setting Problem - Cant get 7.1
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2016, 04:13:43 am »

images

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2016, 05:25:39 am »

I don't understand what you're trying to do, you mention stereo but you also want a centre channel which means it's not stereo. You also have no upmixing or downmixing selected and stereo but the input and output is 8 channel (which doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me).

do you want a stereo source upmixed to multichannel?

murray

« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 06:20:43 am »

I don't understand what you're trying to do, you mention stereo but you also want a centre channel which means it's not stereo. You also have no upmixing or downmixing selected and stereo but the input and output is 8 channel (which doesn't make an awful lot of sense to me).

do you want a stereo source upmixed to multichannel?

Im sorry I thought I explained things fine, let me try again.

I have an 11.1 setup, when I play say a youtube file that's usually 2 channel I want the dialog to come from the centre channel.
One of the experts on here said I needed to set up DPS for 2 channel and all the other settings as I have in the image shown above.
This does produce the dialog through the centre channel, Im not looking to upmix two channel material to anything more than what it is, 2 channel.
I don't want 2 channel to end up multichannel.

When I play a 7.1 channel film which is verified as 8 channels on the audio path (see image) all I get into my pre pro is 5.1 channels (see image)
I cant reproduce 7.1 channels into my prepro, only 5.1.

When I play the same 7.1 channel disc from my Oppo player, my pre pro displays the 7.1 on the front panel of my 160 as it should.

I just cant get JR to display on my pre pro 7.1 channel BDs which the audio path states as 8 channels correctly, they only ever display on the front panel as 5.1. All these images I have supplied.

I hope you can now understand what Im trying to say  ?

mattkhan

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2016, 07:29:51 am »

according to your pics, you are bitstreaming so whatever is in the source should be sent directly to your processor for processing. JRiver should not be changing that signal at all. If it arrives as 5.1 at your processor then I would look at the device configuration in Windows as first port of call. It seems you're going out over HDMI so how is that audio device configured in Windows? is it a 7.1 device?

Note that this means all processing is done in your processor so any derivation of a centre channel for dialog from a 2 channel source will be performed by your processor not jriver.

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2016, 10:08:49 am »

If you are bitstreaming, the AV Receiver is entirely in charge of what it makes of the audio.
Note that the Audio Path is not accurate when you bitstream, since MC doesn't know what kind of audio is being passed. In absence of any better information, it displays the properties of the transmission channel, which for HD audio formats like DTS-HD or TrueHD is always 8ch 192kHz when you bitstream. Maybe your file is in fact only 5.1.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

murray

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2016, 02:33:19 pm »

If you are bitstreaming, the AV Receiver is entirely in charge of what it makes of the audio.
Note that the Audio Path is not accurate when you bitstream, since MC doesn't know what kind of audio is being passed. In absence of any better information, it displays the properties of the transmission channel, which for HD audio formats like DTS-HD or TrueHD is always 8ch 192kHz when you bitstream. Maybe your file is in fact only 5.1.

But Hendrik I mentioned  that when I play a 7.1 BD from my Oppo my front panel displays a 7.1 input in, when I play the same film ripped to JR it displays only 5.1
Does it look like I have JR setup correctly for bitstreaming?

murray

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2016, 02:36:11 pm »

according to your pics, you are bitstreaming so whatever is in the source should be sent directly to your processor for processing. JRiver should not be changing that signal at all. If it arrives as 5.1 at your processor then I would look at the device configuration in Windows as first port of call. It seems you're going out over HDMI so how is that audio device configured in Windows? is it a 7.1 device?

Note that this means all processing is done in your processor so any derivation of a centre channel for dialog from a 2 channel source will be performed by your processor not jriver.

Yes Windows is set at 7.1.
I didn't know the audio path is incorrect when you bitstream as hendrick mentions...
Do my settings for JR look correct to you for bitstreaming?

blgentry

« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2016, 06:53:29 pm »

Yes Windows is set at 7.1.

Can the windows sound configuration dialog play to all 8 of your channels?

Do my settings for JR look correct to you for bitstreaming?

Bitstreaming is set up at: Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > Bitstreaming > (choose options here)

You didn't post a screen shot of that, so we don't know if it's set up or not.  We are assuming it is.  MC will pretty much ignore the output format DSP settings when it is bitstreaming audio content which you have specified in the bitstreaming options.

You should try disabling bitstreaming and see what happens.  You'll need to adjust your output format to have 7.1 channels (at least).  I'm unfamiliar with how MC talks to an 11.1 setup.  I'm assuming that treating it like a 7.1 set up is the way to go, but I'm really not sure.

As for your stereo files, you should not need to change the output format to make this happen.  Your pre-pro should be able to do some flavor of Dolby Pro Logic, or another pseudo-surround processing format in order to up convert stereo to some larger number of channels.  The only way you will get sound out of the Center Channel when playing a stereo source is to process that stereo source to play into the center.  Stereo is 2 channel.  It does NOT play to the center without processing of some kind.

Brian.

murray

« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2016, 06:59:21 pm »

Can the windows sound configuration dialog play to all 8 of your channels?

Bitstreaming is set up at: Tools > Options > Audio > Settings > Bitstreaming > (choose options here)

You didn't post a screen shot of that, so we don't know if it's set up or not.  We are assuming it is.  MC will pretty much ignore the output format DSP settings when it is bitstreaming audio content which you have specified in the bitstreaming options.

You should try disabling bitstreaming and see what happens.  You'll need to adjust your output format to have 7.1 channels (at least).  I'm unfamiliar with how MC talks to an 11.1 setup.  I'm assuming that treating it like a 7.1 set up is the way to go, but I'm really not sure.

As for your stereo files, you should not need to change the output format to make this happen.  Your pre-pro should be able to do some flavor of Dolby Pro Logic, or another pseudo-surround processing format in order to up convert stereo to some larger number of channels.  The only way you will get sound out of the Center Channel when playing a stereo source is to process that stereo source to play into the center.  Stereo is 2 channel.  It does NOT play to the center without processing of some kind.

Brian.

Thanks Brian, I will check the Widows setting to see if it does play all 8 channels from there even though it is set to 7.1, will report back.
MC is set to bitstreaming.

jachin99

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2016, 08:56:52 am »

Something that is easy to overlook but might help:  Have you right clicked the video while it was playing and made sure jriver is playing audio from the seven channel track and not the five channel track.  I think you can do the same thing by pressing down a few times while the video is playing.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2016, 09:54:48 am »

Maybe it would be better if the Audio Path just said "Bitstream" rather than show the properties of the transmission. Might be less confusing this way.

murray

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2016, 02:47:02 pm »

Maybe it would be better if the Audio Path just said "Bitstream" rather than show the properties of the transmission. Might be less confusing this way.
that's an excellent idea as Ive spent weeks wondering why the Audio Path doesn't match the truth of my rips while bitstreaming

RD James

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2016, 11:47:27 pm »

I like knowing what output format is being used for the bitstreaming, but I can see how it might be confusing if you don't fully understand what bitstreaming does.
Pages: [1]   Go Up