INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Next steps: Movies and TV  (Read 2597 times)

happy haggis

• Recent member
Next steps: Movies and TV
« on: June 17, 2016, 07:20:05 am »

Hi,
I would like to use MC to play my movies and TV series and have a couple of questions.
Firstly, some background. I have my music on a Win 10 laptop acting as a server and playback through my Marantz M-CR511. I have had issues playing complete playlists as playback stops randomly, with different quality tracks. However, since buying JRemote, I can play all my music without problems and I am happy with that as I don't want to keep troubling the good folks on here.
I have many films and recorded TV on an external (2tb) USB HDD connected to my Sony Bluray player. It works quite well, but involves a lot of scrolling through folders to make selections. My Sony Bravia TV supports DLNA so I hope to rip all my remaining DVDs and br to HD for convenience. My Bluray player is showing signs of age now and occasionally, I have to unplug from the mains and restart to get it working. Rather than replace it, I thought it would make sense to buy extra hds for storage and use MC in future.
If I want to rip my Blu-ray Discs, do I need anything other than AnyDVD HD and MC? I love the idea that I can just play the movie and not have to watch through all the dross first.
I have an old PC with some 500gb HDs in, would it make sense to just remove them and use a SATA dock rather than buy new disks? As they are a few years old, would I see any improved performance with newer disks.
My apologies for the lengthy post.
Many thanks. 😊

rec head

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Next steps: Movies and TV
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2016, 07:38:27 am »

When you are ripping movies and only want the main movie MakeMKV is great. It lets you rip only the main movie.

mojave

• MC Beta Team
  • Requires "iTunes or better" so I installed JRiver
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2016, 08:01:56 am »

If I want to rip my Blu-ray Discs, do I need anything other than AnyDVD HD and MC? I love the idea that I can just play the movie and not have to watch through all the dross first.
No, you can rip or watch movies with AnyDVD HD and MC. The main feature will start playing. AnyDVD HD has a setting under Blu-ray called "Remove video sequences shorter than" and can be set from .5 minutes to 20 minutes. When set to 20 minutes, typically only the main movie is ripped.

Your old discs should be fine to use in a SATA dock. The performance increase from newer discs is necessary if you are recording multiple TV shows while watching something else or if multiple users are streaming from the drives at once. 

happy haggis

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2016, 08:07:12 am »

Thank you both for your replies. Your advice is much appreciated.  :)

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2016, 11:16:00 am »

Just to add to what was already said.

MakeMKV will rip your movies and remove the copy protection for free. You would only rip the "main movie". No trailers or extra features. 

One problem you may run into is that some of the newer movies use "playlist obfuscation" which is when the disk contains hundreds of fake playlists (movies) so you need to know which is the correct one before you rip. AnyDVD HD (not free) is very good about figuring out what is correct playlist and telling you, if you use makeMKV you just need to fiure this out on your own (usually by getting on their forum (or the AnyDVD forum) and reading through the posts for that movie title finding someone has figured out the correct playlist and shared the info.

The other think AnyDVD HD does, is it lets you play a copy-protected (physical) disk on a un-official/un-supported player (like your computer running MC). So if someone where to bring over a rental disk, you could play it on your system (without ripping).

happy haggis

• Recent member
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2016, 03:52:15 am »

Thanks for the reply, CountryBumkin and apologies for late response, I've been without internet for last 20hrs or so. I'll give both of them a try.  :)
Pages: [1]   Go Up