INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sync Laptop to Desktop  (Read 3333 times)

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
Sync Laptop to Desktop
« on: June 19, 2016, 09:56:15 pm »

I have MC21 installed on a desktop's C: drive and a laptop's C: drive. On my desktop my MP3 files are on an E: drive and on my laptop they are on a D: drive. My desktop is set up just the way I want it with one view and 50 playlists, and now I want to set up the laptop to look just like the desktop.

And when I change a file on the laptop, I want to bring those changes to the desktop.

I understand that the first thing I need to do is make sure my MP3 files are on the same drive letter on both systems and that's not a problem for me.

I've spent some time looking in the Wiki for info on syncing but am not getting very far. (Seems like most of it is deprecated.) I am more than willing to copy files and folders back and forth to get both installations looking identical, but I don't know what files and folders I need to copy to do so.

Would somebody please point me in the right direction?
* HP Pavilion Desktop 510-p114
* Windows 10 Home 22H2 19045.4412
* Firefox 126; Thunderbird 116

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Sync Laptop to Desktop
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 10:45:22 pm »

Some questions first:

1) Do you want to be able to take the laptop away and have your whole library with you, without using an internet connection back to where your desktop PC is?
2a) I understand that you want file and I assume tag, view, and other changes to be communicated from the laptop to the desktop PC. Do you want changes on the desktop to be sent to the laptop as well?
2b) Or, would you only make changes on your laptop, and do all your maintenance there, all the time?

Basically, the Handheld Sync functionality is intended to be a one way sync of files from a MC installation to a handheld device or hard disk folder. It isn't a two way sync.

Also, in order to get two way changes between two MC installations, one needs to be a Server and the other a Client, and then of course they need to be connected all the time, via a network (LAN or WAN).

So, if you want to do what I think you want to do, you are going to need to work outside MC a bit. If you answer the questions above, I or someone else will suggest how you might do what you want.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 09:01:57 am »

1) Yes.

2a) Yes.

2b) No.

>>Basically, the Handheld Sync functionality is intended to be a one way sync of files from a MC installation to a handheld device or hard disk folder. It isn't a two way sync.<<

That's what I gathered.

>>Also, in order to get two way changes between two MC installations, one needs to be a Server and the other a Client, and then of course they need to be connected all the time, via a network (LAN or WAN).<<

Setting up a Server and a Client is a bit too much for me. I only take the laptop out 3 or 4 times a year.

Working outside MC is okay with me. I think that all I really need to do is copy the library, the MP3 files and "I-don't-know-what-other" files/folders from the desktop to the laptop before I leave on trips, and from the laptop to the desktop when I return. I just don't know which files those would be.

I appreciate your reply.  :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 06:53:45 pm »

Hmmm, sort of worst case then, but because of this;
I only take the laptop out 3 or 4 times a year.

not so bad.

Basically for the first run you should first set up the laptop so that it uses the same drive designations for the boot/program and music drives (you said you could do this), then do a full installation of MC on the laptop, sync all the necessary files from the desktop to the laptop, then restore a desktop Library backup to the laptop, with settings. I would be doing a manual backup just before doing the sync, and of course MC should be closed on both PCs when you do the sync.

On coming home, you would need to sync all necessary files back to the desktop, then restore a laptop library backup to the desktop.

For future trips, backup MC, sync desktop to laptop, restore the backup, and good to go. You should of course keep both installations of MC on the same version, or close versions.

There are a bunch of file level sync tools available which will only copy changed files, and a few free ones are pretty good I hear. But I haven't used one in ages so I can't recommend one. A quick Google and a bit of reading will find you one. There have been a few mentioned in the MC forums as well.

Now, the important bit; What to sync across? Then answer is mostly in the "Options>File Location" setting area of MC.

The first thing I would do is change the MC backup location so that all backups are saved on the E: drive next to you music folder. I'm assuming you have something like "E:\Music" under which all music files are stored. So create a directory like "E:\JRiver\Library Backups" and change the setting in MC to point there.

The "Cover Art" location should probably be changed to the E:\ drive as well, although if you only have Audio, and store Cover Art either in the audio files, or in the same folder as the files, it shouldn't matter. But it couldn't hurt to move that to something like "E:\JRiver\Cover Art"

But you should all of the settings in "File Location", including the Audio, Images, Video, just in case you have and want to carry some of those files. The conversion cache location wouldn't matter, but could be pointed to the E:\ drive as well.

You should also make sure, if you aren't going to sync some files to the laptop, that you have the Auto-Import "Fix Broken Links" setting set to "No", otherwise MC will remove files from the library when it can't find them on the laptop.

The last directory that would be handy to sync across is the thumbnails directory, so that you don't have to wait for MC to rebuild all the thumbnails when you switch back and forth between PCs, or have problems with the wrong thumbnail being dispalyed. Thumbnails are located in the directory "C:\Users\[User ID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Thumbnails". I've never tried copying that to a different PC, so I don't know if the naming scheme will cause problems. However, you could try syncing that whole directory to the laptop and see if you get all your thumbnails on the laptop immediately. If this doesn't work, just delete everything in the thumbnails directory and MC will rebuild the thumbnails . . . eventually.

So, in summary, sync;
"E:\JRiver\Library Backups"
"E:\JRiver\Cover Art"
"E:\Music"
"E:\Images"
"E:\Video"
"C:\Users\[User ID]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center 21\Thumbnails"

Finally, remember to change the Audio Device on the laptop, and back on the desktop, unless you are taking a DAC with you to use with the laptop. Even then you may need check the setting. Also if you have Media Network turned on for the desktop, turn it off in the laptop. You don't want two instances of MC running Media Network with the same Access Key on your network at the same time, while you are still home.

No guarantees I haven't missed something, but that should give you a good start.  8)
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 07:09:06 pm »

Personally, I would try to make this project a one way sync.  In my mind the Desktop system in the master where all media is added, maintained, rated, etc.  The laptop is just a place where that gets copied to from time to time.

Roderick's directions seem to be about right, though I haven't tested the specifics myself.

The key point for me is that you never try to sync the laptop back to the desktop.  Why?  Because there aren't any big benefits to doing so and there are some serious down sides to trying.  What would you want from the laptop to appear on the desktop?  Ratings?  Play counts?  You should ignore small details like this and just continue to do all of your media maintenance on the desktop.

As usual, all just my opinion.

Brian.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2016, 07:47:37 pm »

Personally, I would try to make this project a one way sync.

It would be much simpler, I agree. I just understand that if someone is on the road travelling for work, and has lots of time during the evenings, tweaking a MC database may be a way to fill it. So enabling changes to move back to the desktop is an advantage.

So it's worth Skeezix giving it a try. As long as there are backups, no harm, no foul !  8)

Skeezix

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2016, 12:10:33 pm »

My thanks to both of you for your help.

I think I'll just go with the one-way sync from desktop to laptop.

Thanks again.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 05:12:18 pm »

Ah, much easier. Enjoy!
Pages: [1]   Go Up