INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver 21: Question About Using Back-Up TB Hard Drive  (Read 2805 times)

stevel

• Recent member
JRiver 21: Question About Using Back-Up TB Hard Drive
« on: June 20, 2016, 10:08:37 am »

All: Please Advise.
If I was to swap out my current External Thunder Bolt G-Technology HD with an exact Carbon Copy Back Up Drive (Just to Keep the backup Drive Active) ..Will JRiver Automatically treat the backup as an original current drive with no distinction ?

Please advise.

Thank you.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: JRiver 21: Question About Using Back-Up TB Hard Drive
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:05:11 am »

MC distinguishes files by their filename and path.  On a Mac, external drives generally appear here:

/Volumes/NameOfHardDrive

Since your "Carbon Copy Backup Drive" has a different mount point, MC won't see it at all.  You can fix this in several ways.  I would probably recommend changing MC's paths to the files using the Rename, Move, and Copy tool.

You could also change the name of the drive instead to match the original drive.  But this might get confusing once you want to use the original drive again, as they will have the same name.

There aren't a lot of good reasons I know of to try to "exercise" your backup drive.  Re-writing, or re-reading all of the data on it is useful from time to time.  But just using it as a normal "day to day" drive wouldn't seem to have any benefit.

Brian.

stevel

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 11:18:37 am »

Wow Sounds complicated. I was advised By GTech To Use the BackUp drive every 2-3 Months.  :'(

adphil

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2016, 11:32:34 am »

Wow Sounds complicated. I was advised By GTech To Use the BackUp drive every 2-3 Months.  :'(
Well, don't you use it every time you make a (incremental or full) backup?

stevel

• Recent member
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2016, 11:45:17 am »

There are no changes to the either drive both are exactly the same. (I use other drives for different material)  But these 2 are exactly the same.
Pages: [1]   Go Up