INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Looking for advice  (Read 3781 times)

1maynard

• World Citizen
Looking for advice
« on: June 20, 2016, 10:08:32 pm »

I did a trial download of JRiver MC last December and was fairly happy with it but the wife liked the Kodi set up better so we went with it. After fighting with all of the issues with shutting down screen freeze ups etc we went back to WMC. At least it very seldom has operation problems, but I am tired of all of the guide issues. I decided to look at JRiver again but it will not let me do another trial on my HTPC. I have been wanting to do some upgrades to It such as a SSD and also an updated video card. If I do a fresh install of windows 7 home premium will I then be able to do a new trial again? I would like to get it set up to satisfy the wife. before I buy. I am running a Intel Core i7-2600  CPU @3.40GHz, 4 cores. 8GB DDR3 Ram. What would you recommend for a good Video card for it. I am not interested in gaming, only playback of Blurays, DVD and DVRing and playback of over the air TV. I do also have a large library of DVD and BluRays on a external HDD along with a large library of music. Any help or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks.
Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

~OHM~

• Citizen of the Universe
  • "I Don't Play The Music The Music Plays Me"
Re: Looking for advice
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 10:22:40 pm »

yes a fresh install will give you the 30 day free trial again...FYI if you purchase MC21 now you will also get MC22 (MC22 will not be released till sometime in August) so right now it's like getting 2 for the price of 1. not sure when this deal ends so don't wait long...either way it's 50 bucks well spent. you will never look back.

I would bet your onboard vid card would be just fine, I'm sure someone will step up with a better answer shortly tho.

Also a little bit more info on how you play your files....over DLNA and such will help the guru's help you.
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2016, 10:58:25 pm »

An Intel Core i7-2600  only has an Intel® HD Graphics 2000 iGPU in it. That may work on RO Standard, but it isn't going to support de-interlacing or RO HQ very well, if at all. My HD 4000 iGPU doesn't do a brilliant job, and only supports RO Standard for some file types.

The NVidia GTX 960 still seems to be the current sweet spot for media playback, due to support for HDMI 2.0 @ 3840x2160, 60Hz, DisplayPort 1.2, and HDCP 2.2 (Read here: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/845270/gpus-with-hdcp-2-2-support/)

I like the MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4GB, because all reports say it will run quiet. In fact, I must get one before they disappear off the market.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

~OHM~

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 01:29:09 am »

I like the MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming 4GB, because all reports say it will run quiet. In fact, I must get one before they disappear off the market.

WOW....Im seeing them from 250. us to 450.00 us
“I've Reached A Turning Point In My Life. I Now Realize I Have More Yesterdays Then Tomorrows”

CountryBumkin

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2016, 06:59:02 am »

You may want to consider one of these (the Radeon RX480)  http://www.anandtech.com/show/10389/amd-teases-radeon-rx-480-launching-june-29th-for-199
For $199 it looks pretty good. HDMI 2.0a, Display port 1.3, 4K h.265 encode/decode, and 150W.

NVidia has a new low power card out - the GTX950. Expected to sell around $150. HDMI 2.0, HDCP 2.2, Display Port 1.2, 4K h.265, 75W
http://www.anandtech.com/show/10250/gigabyte-adds-geforce-gtx-950-with-75w-power-consumption-to-lineup

I think either of these cards would be great for HTPC use (usually the lower the power consumption the better for HTPC - but the AMD card has twice the memory, 3x the Stream Processors, double the memory bus width, faster memory clock, etc.).

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2016, 09:22:22 am »

What do you think about this card? I have a microATX motherboard installed in an Antec Fusion remote case so I need a small form factor card.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487235
Intel I7-8700K, GTX1080 Ti Gaming, 16 GB ram, Silverstone GD08, Integra DRX R1.1  AVR, LG OLED B6 65 TV, Oppo UHD-203 DVD. Klipsch Reference 7.1 Speakers. [2] HDHomerun HDHR4-2 OTA tuners. Win 10 Pro 64 bit

RD James

« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2016, 09:23:38 am »

Surely it would be better to wait for the 1060/1050 instead of rushing to buy now?
If you need the card now, fine, but the only reason they would disappear is because they have been replaced by newer (better) hardware.

1maynard

• World Citizen
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2016, 10:08:01 am »

I decided to order the EVGA GTX950 card from Newegg. Cost is $149.99 with a $20.00 rebate. After some research it looks lik it will fit my needs for now and the near future. If I decide to up grade my TV to 4K I may have to do something different but I hope my Mits DLP 62 in will last for a few more years. It has been a great tv for us and the only probs have been bulb replacements every couple of years. Still has a great picture. Thanks for the advice and I may have some questions when I do the SSD and video card install. On another note if I buy MC 21 now will it include the MC 22 upgrade?

~OHM~

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2016, 11:00:22 am »

yes a fresh install will give you the 30 day free trial again...FYI if you purchase MC21 now you will also get MC22 (MC22 will not be released till sometime in August) so right now it's like getting 2 for the price of 1. not sure when this deal ends so don't wait long...either way it's 50 bucks well spent. you will never look back.

I would bet your onboard vid card would be just fine, I'm sure someone will step up with a better answer shortly tho.

Also a little bit more info on how you play your files....over DLNA and such will help the guru's help you.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2016, 05:25:17 pm »

Surely it would be better to wait for the 1060/1050 instead of rushing to buy now?

I'll have to do some research. But there are always newer and better cards on the horizon. Then even when they arrive, I would have to wait for a variant that I liked.

As my need isn't urgent I've been watching the GTX 960 prices, waiting for a fall. But that hasn't happened yet, and the Australian dollar is falling faster than the prices might. So, we shall see.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner
Pages: [1]   Go Up