INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Streaming native format Video to JRemote on Android?  (Read 2675 times)

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Streaming native format Video to JRemote on Android?
« on: June 26, 2016, 05:32:29 am »

Hi
While watching a movie on my Android device I noticed the picture quality using JRemote was poor in comparison to that using BubbleUPnP.
If I look at Task Manager on my JRiver Media Server, while streaming to JRemote I see near 100% CPU activity implying that JRiver is transcoding the video before streaming. Where as with BubbleUPnP I see very little CPU activity implying it is streaming the video in its native format.
I understand BubbleUPnP uses DLNA to stream from MC whereas JRemote uses a native JRiver format (TRemote?? or something like that)
I've looked through my JRemote settings and my JRiver MC settings but I cannot see any option to tell MC to send native video streams to JRemote.
I have set JRemote to "Use native audio format" and that appears to work well with my FLAC music files.
Have I missed a setting somewhere, or is it not possible with JRemote to stream native video files?

Hendrik

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
Re: Streaming native format Video to JRemote on Android?
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2016, 10:37:22 am »

Native video is not an option because its practically impossible for us to know right now if a device supports a given video, until we have some other mechanisms in place to support partial conversions or other more efficient means, we only allow transcoding, sorry.
On High or Very High quality, transcoded video looks pretty good, especially on small screens, the only downside being that you do need CPU power to do the transcode.
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Streaming native format Video to JRemote on Android?
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2016, 08:09:15 am »

Thanks for the info'.
Maybe native video streaming for Android can be one of MC22s new green features?
Pages: [1]   Go Up