INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Making Standard View drill down behave like Theater View?  (Read 1556 times)

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Making Standard View drill down behave like Theater View?
« on: June 29, 2016, 04:03:26 am »

I sometimes have multiple versions of an album e.g. original CD, remastered CD, DVD-A release and maybe a HDTracks download too.
So in some of my views I have multiple layers e.g. Artist -> Album -> Album Version.
That way I can step through from selecting an Artist to selecting an Album then be presented with all the versions I own of that album.

When I drill down in Theater View if I have a artist with only one album and only one version of that album then simply selecting that artist magically shows me the tracks from that album without having to select the album and then select the version. And if I have multiple albums by an artist but only one version of each album then selecting the artist presents me with the selection of albums and selecting one gives me the track listing without having to select the single version I own.

When I setup this view in Standard View (Category style?) I do not get the clever shortcuts above i.e. For the artist with a single album I have to select the artist, select the album and select the single version I own before reaching the track listing. (Although it is only having to select the single version that I really find frustrating, selecting the album seems far enough).

Is there a way to make Category style Standard View behave like Theater View?

thecrow

• MC Beta Team
  • Galactic Citizen
Re: Making Standard View drill down behave like Theater View?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 07:05:05 am »

I noticed that JRemote also behaves in the same intelligent manner Theater View does but the DNLA server does not.

After an extensive search of visible options I cannot find a way to make Standard View and the DLNA server behave in this same way so I have adjusted my views to list all separate versions of an album in the album view layer instead.

This is not as neat but the deafening silence from anyone at JRiver implies it may not be possible.

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Making Standard View drill down behave like Theater View?
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 07:50:47 am »

I've played around with trying to get Standard View to "skip a level" in certain situations, but I couldn't figure out how to do it.  There might be a way, but I don't think so.

[...]so I have adjusted my views to list all separate versions of an album in the album view layer instead.

That was going to be my best suggestion.  It naturally groups the album versions together since they all start with the same words, so it should be pretty easy to navigate even with an artist with 20 or 30 albums, which would be a LOT.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up