INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Poor playback of high quality FLAC tracks  (Read 10518 times)

happy haggis

• Recent member
Poor playback of high quality FLAC tracks
« on: June 07, 2016, 03:39:56 pm »

Hi,
I'm afraid I know little or nothing about streaming music and after spending all day trying to understand the wiki and find possible answers here, I've decided to embarrass myself and ask for more help.
I am using MC on a laptop where my music library is situated and streaming to a Marantz CR511. Playing CD quality16/44.1 is fine as is 24bit/44.1. Tracks at 24bit/96 are playable with just the odd stutter, but 24bit/192 are just not worth playing as the sound keeps dropping out. I'm using my wifi connection and I have read here that a wired connection is better, but I don't really want to hardwire my laptop as it tends to move around the house a lot! I have a TP-Link router with USB connectivity, so I could plug a portable drive into that if it would help. If I connect my CR511 to the network via ethernet can I control it with MC, using the USB drive attached to my router? Would I see an improvement in playback? Is there a better way for me to play my high quality music?
I do have USB connectivity on the CR511, but my understanding is that I can only play back music in a given folder and not make use of playlists or browse by artist etc. Is this right?
Any help would be greatly appreciated and apologies for the long post, I guess I'm getting a bit long in the tooth to try new things.  :-[

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Poor playback of high quality FLAC tracks
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2016, 03:51:45 pm »

The way you describe playback being good for lower bitrate (sample rate and bit depth) files and worse the higher you go would seem to indicate a network issue.  That is, the network is not fast enough to reliably support transferring the high bit rate files.

You could test this theory by trying to move both devices much closer to the wireless router or access point.  Or by hard wiring both sides.

If the network speed is the problem, then you can fix it by either increasing your wireless network coverage, or by hard wiring both ends:  The laptop and the CR511.  Hard wiring one end might fix it, if the end you hard wire has worse reception than the other end.  But if either end still has poor wireless reception, it's still going to have drop outs.  Powerline network adapters are a decent choice, as they are more reliable than wireless and don't have a distance limitation.

You could try to use range extenders to get the wireless signal to be stronger near both end points, but this can be tricky to do correctly.

As for your laptop moving around a lot, here's a thought:

Maybe your MC server should be hard wired, sitting in one place all the time.  Then you could control that server with JRemote on a tablet or phone.  Or you could use TRemote to have a laptop PC remote control the MC server machine.

Just some ideas for you.

Brian.

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2016, 03:54:12 pm »

Had the same problem. Solution was to improve WiFi bandwidth between router and media player by 1) move the router to optimize coverage at the player, 2) eventually buy a new router with more antennas.

happy haggis

• Recent member
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2016, 04:03:17 pm »

Thank you both for your advice.  :) The router is only about 15' away from both the laptop and the CR511 and it is a decent router (TP-Link TD-W8970) so I'm not sure that I can do much to improve the signal.
As my music is located on my laptop, Brian, that makes my laptop the server doesn't it? Would it make sense for me to buy a cheap laptop to use as the server, one I can just store my music library on and run MC? Then I could simply use JRemote on my iPad to control what I playback, utilising the playlists and custom views I've created already in MC?
Thanks again both of you.  :)

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2016, 04:13:02 pm »

It is generally a bad idea to have both the server (your laptop) and the player on WiFi. The server should be hardwired to the router. Maybe wiring the player and having the server on WiFi could work, never tried that. But not both. Even with very good coverage.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2016, 04:18:11 pm »

The router is only about 15' away from both the laptop and the CR511 and it is a decent router (TP-Link TD-W8970) so I'm not sure that I can do much to improve the signal.

What trumpetguy said is new to me, but it's certainly worth trying.  I would have thought that having both devices 15 feet from the router would be fine for transferring/streaming hires files.  Perhaps you are getting interference from some other wireless device in your house, or in a neighboring house.  I would change wifi channels on the router/WAP and see if it makes any difference.

As my music is located on my laptop, Brian, that makes my laptop the server doesn't it?

Yes.

Would it make sense for me to buy a cheap laptop to use as the server, one I can just store my music library on and run MC? Then I could simply use JRemote on my iPad to control what I playback, utilising the playlists and custom views I've created already in MC?

Yes, this is kind of what I was trying to suggest. Though "cheap" might not work well if the machine is slow.  I believe an i3 class machine is fine for running audio only MC.  But don't take my word for it.

Good luck.

Brian.

happy haggis

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2016, 04:22:03 pm »

Thanks again both for your replies. I guess I need to put on my sad face for my wife to see if I can get her to suggest buying a new laptop for music, that together with a quick sniff of an onion to make my eyes water may do the trick!  ;D

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2016, 11:29:27 pm »

:-) you could try to actually measure WiFi ping time and bandwidth at your units before doing anything more drastic. Loads of apps to do that. For Android, e.g. WiFi Network Analyzer. Can be an eye-opener, even with only 15ft distance. Or not...

AndrewFG

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2016, 12:37:15 am »

^

Yeah. Try buying yourself two Ethernet cables first..

Author of Whitebear Digital Media Renderer Analyser - http://www.whitebear.ch/dmra.htm
Author of Whitebear - http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver.htm

happy haggis

• Recent member
« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2016, 02:55:33 am »

Thanks for the suggestions. I've got a couple of cables, so I'm going to try them and if it improves things, I'll just relocate the laptop until such time as a better alternative is available. I'm thinking that at some stage I will want to add my film and TV library to MC, so it probably makes sense to wait and see, rather than jumping in and buying a new laptop now.
Thanks again to you all for your help.  :)

happy haggis

• Recent member
« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2016, 05:47:59 am »

I have tried hardwiring without any luck, I'm afraid. Firstly, I tried just wiring the CR-511 (DMP) and using the laptop (server) on wifi and there was no difference at all, still dropping out on all 24bit/192 tracks and occasionally on 24bit/96. I then tried wiring both the server and DMP and 24bit/96 play just fine, but 24/192 still are unplayable due to constant drop outs. The only thing I can think of, is that it's because I'm using a powerline to connect the DMP. Unfortunately, there is no alternative as it would be impractical to try and connect directly to the router.
To make things worse, the connection to the CR-511 now keeps dropping so I can't play anything! It appears briefly in the left panel, under Playing Now, but then disappears again. Now I'm really lost.  :(

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2016, 06:09:41 am »

Please run a benchmark (under Help) and paste the results here.

happy haggis

• Recent member
« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2016, 06:13:34 am »

Will do, Jim. I'm just taking a break from it, before my head explodes! Lol
Thanks.

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2016, 06:20:13 am »

Antivirus software can also cause problems like this.  This thread has some examples:
http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=86096.0

happy haggis

• Recent member
« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2016, 07:23:54 am »

Thanks for the link Jim, I'll take a look.  :)
I'm going back to my original setup to see if I can get it working again. Then with a process of elimination I may be able to narrow down when the problems start. I wonder if it might be the powerline adaptor I'm using, or the cables. I have a backup adaptor I can try, but I'll need to get some more cables for backup.

happy haggis

• Recent member
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2016, 10:07:40 am »

Just a quick update. I went back to my original setup of wifi for both server and player and everything worked as before, so no hires stuff, but at least I could hear my music. I then hardwired the server and now I can play hires 24/192 tracks. The only thing I can think of, is that something was interfering with the data flow. I will keep an eye on things to see if I can discover what is going on if I experience problems again.
Thanks again for all the advice.  :)

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2016, 11:58:44 am »

As a temporary solution you could downsample all hirez stuff in MC to whatever max that works. Obviously not during troubleshooting, but when listening.

BTW, you mention using ethernet over power cable. Never tried it, but a lot of people report problems with limited bandwidth. Maybe not much better than WiFi?

Do you use 5 or 2GHz wifi band? If 2GHz, how many devices are connected? My old router ran into trouble with more than five. E.g. a surveillance cam connection became unstable, and my squeezebox was only able to play 16/44.1.

happy haggis

• Recent member
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2016, 02:09:28 pm »

Most of my hi res tracks are also available at a lower res thankfully, so I'm OK. It's just frustrating as I know less than nothing about this black art!  :)
I'm running at 2Ghz, with no more than 3 devices on it at any one time.
I've got 2 different makes of powerline adaptors, 1 is Powerline and the other TP-Link. I've got a PC attached to one and it has been fine, but I guess it doesn't get the same demands put on it.
Thanks for the suggestions.

MikeO

« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 03:52:11 am »

Hi

I had same issue, it may be the sensitivity of the streamer wi fi . Also dont forget the wi fi may say 300 bps but what you get is way less.

My house is solid flat roofs so running cables is a nightmare.

My solution was PC hard wired to router, bought a wi fi range extender which I put very close to streamer and hard wired to that.

If mobility of laptop is an issue try just the streamer end for starters, and the laptop end when you can or want to listen seriously

Good luck

Mike

happy haggis

• Recent member
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 04:24:22 am »

Hi Mike,
Many thanks for your suggestions. I'm getting there slowly. I've now hard-wired both the streamer and laptop and it makes a big difference. I'm in the process of moving everything to a desktop PC as I'm streaming my movies too now and the laptop wouldn't hack it.
Thanks again, much appreciated. 🙂
Pages: [1]   Go Up