INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: number of songs for each artist  (Read 1839 times)

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
number of songs for each artist
« on: August 07, 2003, 11:43:47 am »

Is there a way to list all the artists in my library and the number of songs for each?

jleerigby

Re: number of songs for each artist
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2003, 12:06:57 pm »

I don't know of any way to do this.  I've done exactly that with MMJB by exporting to .txt, importing into excel and running loads of sexy macros to organise and analyse my music collection.  It took me a couple of months to build and then came MC so I don't need it anymore.  Sorry I can't be anyore help.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2003, 12:15:24 pm »

No, I dont think there is a way.

"Statistics" (In properties Windows) shows something similar, but it is badly integrated, and basically unuseful.

May be this night build give us a better solution (just dreaming...). I've always thoght in a kind of OLAP library, where we could group by any field (artist, ALBUM, genre) while keeping the information (#songs, duration,  size, etc) and the functionality (play, tag, send to, burn, ...).

Current interface just give us the information for the selected tracks (in the status bar) or for individual tracks.- But we can access full functionality in grouped fashion (tree, pane, track selection).

May be tonight interace allows us to drill down the tree by doble clicking the detailed (but grouped) view...

Do you see, JimH? You give us to much chance to aspire to (and to hope for) everything...

jleerigby

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2003, 12:18:18 pm »

May be this night build give us a better solution (just dreaming...). I've always thoght in a kind of OLAP library, where we could group by any field (artist, ALBUM, genre) while keeping the information (#songs, duration,  size, etc) and the functionality (play, tag, send to, burn, ...).

Current interface just give us the information for the selected tracks (in the status bar) or for individual tracks.- But we can access full functionality in grouped fashion (tree, pane, track selection).

May be tonight interace allows us to drill down the tree by doble clicking the detailed (but grouped)

I think maybe we are beginning to expect too much from tonight's build.

Sam

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2003, 12:19:33 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion.  I just did exactly what you described, and it took just a few minutes.  I haven't used Excel in a long time, but many years ago, it was a big part of my life.

I exported to .txt w/ ASCII delimited.  Then opened using "|" as the dlimiter (or whatever it's called).  And I created a pivot table to count the entries.

Polonio

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2003, 12:26:16 pm »

I think maybe we are beginning to expect too much from tonight's build.

Do you think it will not prepare us the coffee?

jleerigby

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2003, 12:31:05 pm »

Do you think it will not prepare us the coffee?
Well that's what Nila reckons.  

I think that would be a BIG improvement but as long as you get an option to say how many sugars.

gkerber

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2003, 12:34:10 pm »

Well that's what Nila reckons.  

I think that would be a BIG improvement but as long as you get an option to say how many sugars.

AND WE MUST BE ABLE TO TURN OFF THE COFFEE MAKER!

I'm not a coffee drinker, it should dispense Mountain Dew too.

shock

• Recent member
  • I groove in stereo ...
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2003, 01:46:32 pm »

I just hope we're not required to have sugar ... like we are with skins.   ;)
shock
Pages: [1]   Go Up