INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Bug: Special Character in album title  (Read 2170 times)

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
Bug: Special Character in album title
« on: July 02, 2016, 03:42:37 am »

Hi,

a problem I have with JRemote on my iPad is with the an album that has a slash ( / ) in its album title. The album somehow appears in JRemote, but only with the name and a white square as a picture. Opening the album, a text says "No content found here..." I can open the album with MediaCenter (version 20) where it shows up nicely and I can play it from there.

I renamed the physical folder to try if this helps, but it didn't. Also there are no slashes or other special characters in the track names. I then renamed the meta tags of the album's title (replacing the slash with a dash) and added that to my library as a second version of the same album and everything is fine with that. As nothing else was changed, my guess is that JRemote has problems with the slash of the album's title (and maybe other special characters).

Sorry if this problem was posted and discussed before, I haven't found it.

MikeO

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Bug: Special Character in album title
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 04:15:02 am »

Hi

AC DC does the same to me try renaming to AC underscore DC -- where is underscore on iPad ?

It seems to work

Mike

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 06:00:35 am »

Here's the solution: I just learned that there are different types of slashes (quite a few actually). The one that works within the song's tags is this one: / (I guess you can copy and past it to your tag editor). Its unicode is U+E002F. In Germany it is called "tag solidus". Solidus means slash (and tag just tag). But: You can't use it for the file or folder name on your computer - at least not on a Mac. So it only works with the metatags.

So it's not a "real" bug (and sorry for calling it a bug), but one for normal users (like me).  ;D

Grundgütiger

blgentry

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 07:05:25 am »

Interesting.  I just checked AC/DC with EOS and it displays correctly.  I think my tagging software must use the "special slash".  In fact, I sort of recall that when I first ripped my AC/DC albums, that there was a "special slash" in the filename too!  I'm not 100% sure, but I sort of remember renaming the files because that slash seemed wrong to have there as it was confusing since the Mac file system uses slash as a directory separator.

Brian.

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 08:07:54 am »

And I forgot to write that I haven't used MediaCenter for tagging, but kid3.

On the Mac file system you can use the slash that your keyboard types for naming files and folders, but MediaCenter can't undestand it. I think it reads those slashes as a colon. That's a bit of a nuisance when you are used to use certain kind of special characters as a Mac user and then enter the world of NAS systems, etc. where the file systems works different.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 08:21:26 am »

And I forgot to write that I haven't used MediaCenter for tagging, but kid3.

Step into the light please!  KID3 is OK I guess, but it's far less powerful and intuitive than MC.  Just try MC's tagging for a few albums and you'll see how easy and immediate it is.  There's no second step of switching programs or re-reading tags or anything.  It's just *done* when you do it in MC.

I spent several months after I first got MC tagging with an external tagger for Mac that seemed really nice.  It even had a decent file renaming function that used metadata.  After I tried MC's tagging, I stopped using the other tagger, unless I wanted to do renames.  Then I finally figured out how to use MC's Rename, Move, and Copy tool and I dumped the other tagger altogether. 

There's just about nothing I can't do with tagging or renaming using MC.  It's one of the best parts of the program.

Brian.

Grundgütigster

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 08:28:40 am »

Its quite sunny here, thanks  ;D

I know about the tagging features of MediaCenter. But it's the workflow I'm used to that let me use another tagger. My music is on a Mac Mini that I don't use for anything else but playing music files. This works fine with JRemote. So normally I rip a CD on my MBP, add all the tags and then copy it to the Mac Mini and to my back-up NAS. But I guess you are right, I should change my workflow and use MediaCenter for that too.

Grundgütiger
Pages: [1]   Go Up