INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music popularity / Rating through internet?  (Read 1787 times)

defenz0r

Music popularity / Rating through internet?
« on: July 02, 2016, 01:33:57 pm »

Hi,

i have plenty of music. Much of it is popular. At the moment i rate my music based on my own subjective perception.
Wouldn't it be easier to have music rated by popularity? Not Genre, but single Tracks? If i seperate my Music and rate every single track based on my taste, it sure takes long.

But if i could rate it by popularity it would be more objective and filters the bad pieces.
It is possible? If, how? I dont intend to search each title at youtube for see the popularity. Maybe there is somehing already?

jachin99

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: Music popularity / Rating through internet?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 10:41:27 am »

Are you trying to base the popularity of your music collection on how often it is played around the internet kind of like a youtube trending thing or base the popularity off of how many times you have played that somg.  If it is the second choice then i believe you can go into smart playlists within standard view and jriver will build its own playlists based off of your selections

defenz0r

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 11:32:18 am »

Based on internet like youtube. I would know how i could implement this via software.
But im just interested about if it would be dumb or not.

Just like: Playing now Title, this title is "famous" based on XYZ views on Youtube, there are % Likes and % Dislikes

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 11:34:25 am »

Wouldn't it be easier to have music rated by popularity? Not Genre, but single Tracks? If i seperate my Music and rate every single track based on my taste, it sure takes long.

Yes, it does take a long time to rate all of your tracks.  It took me months to rate around 2000 tracks while listening to them real time.  You can try to do this in batches without listening to much (or any) of the tracks.  But, to me, this becomes like a job.  A job that I don't like that gives me negative thoughts about my music collection.  So I rate in real time instead, since I'm just enjoying the music and giving a rating to every song as it plays.  This is a very very accurate way of reflecting what YOU think about your music.

But if i could rate it by popularity it would be more objective and filters the bad pieces.
It is possible? If, how? I dont intend to search each title at youtube for see the popularity. Maybe there is somehing already?

This is kind of like saying, "I want someone else to tell me which of my music is good and bad."  For me, this is a terrible idea.  Who knows what I like and what I don't?

If you still think it's a good idea, you might be able to use MCUtils to query some database.  I know that Allmusic.com has "picks" for many of the albums they rate.  Which indicate that these are the "best songs" on the album in question.  The Picks are NOT star rated.  They just mark the good ones as "pick" and don't mark the others.  That might be some kind of starting point for you.

But really, no one knows what you like better than you do.

Good luck.

Brian.
Pages: [1]   Go Up