INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Quickly and easily converting JTV files to a TS file  (Read 16642 times)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Quickly and easily converting JTV files to a TS file
« on: July 02, 2016, 07:35:57 pm »

Update

There is a compiled (exe) version of this solution now. Download and instructions over here: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107498.msg746546.html#msg746546

Background

I like using the JTV TV recording format that MC offers. I won't go into all the reasons now as they have been previously documented, but the main reason is that I quite often find myself watching the start of a program, finding I like it but can't finish watching it at that time, so I want to record it. As I may also want to share it with others who haven't seen the start, I want to be able to record the whole program from the start, which is now in the past. The JTV format enables that, while the TS format does not.

I’m ignoring the ability to save the Time Shift buffer as a way of doing this, as you end up with JTV files anyway using that method, and hence you will have a mixture of TS and JTV files for the recording of one program. I want the recording in one file and format, and do not want to “watch the first part, and then separately watch the second part.”

The second most important reason for converting the JTV files is to be able to trim large padding times I sometimes require at the start and end of the programs I record, and maybe also trim out commercials, and perhaps convert them to a format that would provide a smaller file size, such as H264/265 in an MP4 file.

But the JTV format is not easily played in other players, let alone edited by other applications, while the TS format is. The solution is to convert JTV files to TS files, without changing the video or audio streams stored in the JTV files. This is called remuxing, or demuxing and muxing. (mux = Multiplexing)

With the appropriate DirectShow filters installed on your PC, it is quite easy to demux and remux TV recordings in the JTV format to single files in the TS (Transport Stream) format. After all, JTV files are just a multi-file container for audio and video Transport Streams. TS files can then be easily edited in various applications, unlike the JTV files.

JRiver MC provides a DirectShow filter to demux JTV files, called MJTSReaderFilter. All that is required to remux JTV files is additional DirectShow filters to multiplex the audio and video back together in a TS container, and save the result into a file. There are various filters available, including filters provided by your video card supplier. Not all filters are capable of muxing all video and audio formats though, so a good filter set is required. I found such a good set, at least for the audio and video formats that I currently receive from broadcasters.

However, finding a free or cheap remuxing application that would open JTV file using the DirectShow filter proved difficult. The only application I have found is a free Open Source application, Graph Studio Next, that is intended for testing DirectShow graph creation and not converting formats at will. I made it work though.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
Important relevant info about your environment:     
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
Re: Quickly and easily converting JTV files to a TS file
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:38:09 pm »

Setup

Download Elecard XMuxer Pro version 2.6.90825 from the Download tab at  http://www.elecard.com/en/products/professional/editing/xmuxer-pro.html. Extract the exe from the zip file. Install it.

The product is no longer supported, but the trial will still install. It is a Beta, but works fine. Actually, you won't be running it anyway. You'll just be using the DirectShow filters it provides. Do not run the "Registrator" at the end of the installation. Untick that box and click he Finish button.

I am diligently trialling this software and will be for some time. You need to keep it installed in order to use the DirectShow filters it installs. Or you could just install the DirectShow filters directly. Your choice.
Download the 32 bit version of Graph Studio Next version 0.7.0.43 from https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0Bwvr5qdpKXBxQUlBbWk0ZzJPRjA&usp=drive_web#list

Make sure that you download the 32 bit version named “graphstudionext_0_7_0_430.zip” and NOT the 64 bit version. MC is a 32 bit program and uses 32 bit DirectShow filters. To download, click the file name, then click the down arrow at the top of the page. It appears when you move your mouse around and has a tooltip of "Downloaden". Extract the exe file “graphstudionext.exe” to a safe place, then rename the exe file to “graphstudionext32.exe” to remind yourself it is a 32 bit application, and differentiate it from the 64 bit version. My examples below use the modified exe name.

More information can be found about Graph Studio Next using the link https://github.com/cplussharp/graph-studio-next, where you will also find the link to the Google Drive page above, named “Current version binary downloads”.

Graph Studio Next is an open source, free application that is used to build DirectShow graphs (i.e. Link DirectShow filters together to do something like play a video, or re-mux a transport stream). This program doesn’t’ require installation. It can just be run directly. 

Create a directory called “C:\Program Files (x86)\Graph Studio Next” and copy the file “graphstudionext32.exe” into that directory. You may need to deal with the Windows UAC and permissions unless you are running Windows using an Administrator user account.

Extract the files "ConvertJTVtoTS.bat", "ConvertJTVtoTS.grf" and the "Convert JTV to TS" shortcut file from the attached "ConvertJTVtoTS.zip" file into a safe place. 

Copy the "ConvertJTVtoTS.bat" and "ConvertJTVtoTS.grf" files to the “C:\Program Files (x86)\Graph Studio Next” directory.

Note that the Directshow filters used in this solution must be registered in Windows. You can run Graph Studio Next and use its internal functions to register the filters, or you can;
Open an "elevated" command prompt (press the Windows key, type "cmd", right-click "cmd.exe" and "Run as administrator"), then enter these commands:

Code: [Select]
cd "\Program Files (x86)\Elecard\Elecard XMuxer Pro\Components"
regsvr32 empegmux.ax
regsvr32 ESF.ax

Press the key combination Windows+R on your keyboard to open the run box, then type in "shell:sendto" without the quotes. Press enter. This will open a special directory, "C:\Users\[User ID]\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\SendTo" in Windows Explorer. Copy the "Convert JTV to TS" shortcut to that directory.
What specific version of MC you are running:MC27.0.27 @ Oct 27, 2020 and updating regularly Jim!                        MC Release Notes: https://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Release_Notes
What OS(s) and Version you are running:     Windows 10 Pro 64bit Version 2004 (OS Build 19041.572).
The JRMark score of the PC with an issue:    JRMark (version 26.0.52 64 bit): 3419
  Using the HTPC as a MC Server & a Workstation as a MC Client plus some DLNA clients.
  Running JRiver for Android, JRemote2, Gizmo, & MO 4Media on a Sony Xperia XZ Premium Android 9.
  Playing video out to a Sony 65" TV connected via HDMI, playing digital audio out via motherboard sound card, PCIe TV tuner

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 07:40:10 pm »

Using the solution

Open MC in Standard View, find the recorded TV program you want to convert, right click on it and select "Locate>On Disk (external)", which will open Windows Explorer in the correct directory and highlight the JTV file.

Alternately, open Windows Explorer and navigate to the directory holding a TV recording you want to convert, and find the JTV file for the recording.

Right click on the JTV file and select "Send to>Convert JTV to TS".

Graph Studio Next will open, showing a display like the image I have included in the zip file. The Play button will be greyed out, and the Stop button will be red. There will be a progress bar and a timer counting up how long the conversion has taken. DO NOT CLOSE the Graph Studio Next window. It will close when the remuxing is complete.

Check in the directory where the JTV file was located. There will now be a TS file of the same name. If the directory is watched by MC, as is common for directories where recorded TV files are stored, MC will see the TS file and import it. MC will create a Sidecar file just for the TS file version of the program. You can then review the file to check it plays properly, and then if you wish, delete the JTV version from within MC, which will delete all associated files. MC keeps any image files in the directory that is associated with the TS file, even if it was also used by the JTV file apparently.

You will probably need to run “Get Movie & TV Info…” on the TS file to ensure it has the correct information for the program. If you wish to move the TS file to a new location you certainly should run GM&TVI first, to ensure all tags are correct. For example, the [Year] for movies is typically wrong for the TS file, as it gets set to the year the recording was made. So GM&TVI may find the wrong movie during Auto-Import. A manual GM&TVI will fix that, if you select the correct movie from the list returned.

Now that you have the TS file version of the program you can use an editor to trim any padding from the start and end of the recording, and perhaps trim out any commercials if you wish. Handy for recordings of programs you wish to keep. That will reduce the file size and free up disk space, possibly by a lot if there was a lot of padding and commercials. This is the main reason I wished to convert JTV to TS, as I have to use a lot of padding for late night and sports shows. Plus of course you can now convert the video to another format, such as MP4, to further reduce the size.

Note that this particular solution, using my pre-created GRP file, will work fine for JTV files containing MPEG2 video and and MPEG, AC-3, AAC, and PCM audio, 2 or 6 channel. I don't have recordings in x264 so I can't test them. They may work.

The DirectShow filter being used actually supports the following input formats.
Video: MPEG1, MPEG2, DVBS, H264, L264, AVC1, VSSH
Audio: AAC, AC3, MPEG1, MEPG2, MP3, PCM, DVM, DVD_LPCM

The DirectShow filter being used lists the output format just as "MPEG2 Transport" Stream.

Some examples of the time remuxing takes on my HTPC, at 15% CPU loading and 100% hard disk throughput, specifications as per my signature below;
A 4 hour 15 minute recording 1440x1080i@25fps MPEG2 video, 6 channel AC-3 audio, 11.3 GiB file, was processed in 7 minutes 44 seconds.
A 3 hour 19 minute recording 720x576i@25fps MPEG2 video, 2 channel MPEG2 audio, 6.82 GiB file, was processed in 4 minutes 35 seconds.

EDIT: 2016-09-19; Fixed imbedded image display.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 07:40:21 pm »

So if anyone would like to implement this solution and check it out, please provide any feedback.

I already know that Graph Studio Next is a little bit fragile, and likes to be left alone while it is running, or it may get "stuck". If it does, just close it, your JTV file will be reinstated, with however much of the TS file had already been created, and then you can just try again. You may need to delete the partially completed TS file though. I haven't tested that.

Note that in playing around with this I have had Graph Studio Next stall, and not complete, forcing me to close it. But when I did the batch file completed correctly and the TS file had been created properly, and was playable.

I also plan to test copying the JTV Sidecar file over to a TS Sidecar file, to see if all the tags can be retained correctly. I will modify the above instructions and file if that works.

Enjoy!

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 07:40:32 pm »

There is a compiled EXE version of this solution, thanks to Jmone, with details over in this thread: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107498.msg746546.html#msg746546

I've duplicated that post here for completeness.

Rod (or others), do you want to try the attached?  I've created a compiled version of your DirectShow filter idea (using MJTSReaderFilter, ElecardMPEGMultiplexer, and the ElecardSinkFilter) with C# (let me know if you want the code). 
- Just unzip the two files in a folder of your choice (JTVtoTS.exe and DirectShow.dll)
- Either Drag/Drop a JTV file on the JTVtoTS.exe or use MC's Send To External Feature
- It should then create a TS remux with the same name in the same folder
- You need to have the Elecard filters registered

To create a MC Send To "JTVtoTS" (see pic)
- RightClick --> Send To --> Send To (External) --> Add Edit Programs... --> Add..
- Then Enter in the Following and press OK
   Name: JTVtoTS
   Program Path: thefolderpathto\JTVtoTS.exe
   Parameters: "[Filename]"

You can now just select a JTV File and RightClick --> Send To --> Send To (External) --> JTVtoTS (and once run it will be in your Recent Commands List).

If it works I could also make a little Install Prog that would:
- Download and register the filters
- Add the JTVtoTS Send To cmd in MC.

Thanks
Nathan

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 07:46:13 pm »

Reserved

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: Quickly and easily converting JTV files to a TS file - Background
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 09:30:36 pm »

Thanks very much for taking the time to do the documentation.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 10:16:06 pm »

You're welcome Jim.

I've wanted this capability for some time, so I'm sure there are others who would like to have it. This is a free and easy solution, once worked out.

I already have a couple of ideas to improve it, which I will test, and update the posts when/if I am happy with the results.

CountryBumkin

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 06:27:56 am »

This thread should be made a "sticky" until such time that JRiver builds/adds this feature into its convert tool. ;)

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 05:53:54 pm »

Nice work!  JTV is great but always had issues muxing it out to a more std container.

I know that the "Convert Format" function in MC is on the (long) list of potential improvements so one day this should work natively in MC but for now this solves the issue of portability.

Thanks
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2016, 06:23:56 pm »

Thanks guys.

If you use the solution, could you report what video and audio formats work successfully for you? Or more importantly I guess, which don't?

I haven't gone through testing formats beyond those I can receive from my broadcaster, which for the moment is what I have listed above. Note that I am about to update the list of video and audio types supported as inputs, but I'm not sure about the output format for some of them, as I don't have samples. For example, H264 video streams are supported on import, but only an MPEG2 video Transport Stream is supported as output. But the Elecard DirectShow filter appears to be very versatile. MPEG2 could just be the default output stream type. Or maybe H264 video can be stored in an MPEG2 Transport Stream. I'm not expert enough to know, and I haven't researched that yet, as I don't need to, yet.

DirectShow be magic!  :o   :D

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 01:55:59 am »

Updated...I've now tested both the full Batch File / Shortcut Automation part (just follow the directions including renaming graphstudionext.exe to graphstudionext32.exe) as well as the filters in my own graph.

It all just works! A 1hr JTV file (MPEG2 Video and MPEG Audio) takes me under 1min to remux (even though Graph Studio shows it going in about real time).  Filter details below for those that like this stuff!
--------------------------------------------------
  Filters
  1. Elecard Sink Filter
      File: test.ts
      Type:    Standard
      CLSID:   {CF2521A7-4029-4CC1-8C6E-F82BD82BB343}
      File:    ESF.ax
      Path:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Elecard\Elecard XMuxer Pro\Components\
      Version: 1.0.10480.0
  2. Elecard MPEG Multiplexer
      CLSID:   {0FD7F9F6-747D-46CF-AC0B-FA9DAE4F6299}
      File:    empegmux.ax
      Path:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Elecard\Elecard XMuxer Pro\Components\
      Version: 1.0.161.0
  3. M:\Media\Video\TV Recordings\9 Channel 9 Sydney 2015-12-31 20-59\9 Channel 9 Sydney 2015-12-31 20-59 - Client Playback.jtv
      File: 9 Channel 9 Sydney 2015-12-31 20-59 - Client Playback.jtv
      CLSID:   {8303B00A-D9E3-4BD7-A79A-AD7077F54123}
      File:    MJTSFileReader.ax
      Path:    C:\Program Files (x86)\J River\Media Center 21\TV\
      Version: 21.0.90.0

Connections
  1. [Elecard MPEG Multiplexer]/(Output) -> [Elecard Sink Filter]/(Input)
      Major:   MEDIATYPE_Stream {E436EB83-524F-11CE-9F53-0020AF0BA770}
      Subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_TRANSPORT {E06D8023-DB46-11CF-B4D1-00805F6CBBEA}
          bFixedSizeSamples:    FALSE
          bTemporalCompression: FALSE
          lSampleSize:          1
          cbFormat:             0
      Format:  GUID_NULL {00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}

2. [M:\Media\Video\TV Recordings\9 Channel 9 Sydney 2015-12-31 20-59\9 Channel 9 Sydney 2015-12-31 20-59 - Client Playback.jtv]/(Audio Output) -> [Elecard MPEG Multiplexer]/(Input #1)
      Major:   MEDIATYPE_Audio {73647561-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
      Subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_AUDIO {E06D802B-DB46-11CF-B4D1-00805F6CBBEA}
          bFixedSizeSamples:    TRUE
          cbFormat:             40
      Format:  FORMAT_WaveFormatEx {05589F81-C356-11CE-BF01-00AA0055595A}
      WAVEFORMATEX:
          wFormatTag:           0x0050 (80)
          nChannels:            2
          nSamplesPerSec:       48000
          nAvgBytesPerSec:      32000
          nBlockAlign:          1
          wBitsPersample:       0
          cbSize:               22
      Extradata:
          02 00 00 e8 03 00 01 00  01 00 01 00 16 00 00 00
          00 00 00 00 00 00

3. [M:\Media\Video\TV Recordings\9 Channel 9 Sydney 2015-12-31 20-59\9 Channel 9 Sydney 2015-12-31 20-59 - Client Playback.jtv]/(Video Output) -> [Elecard MPEG Multiplexer]/(Input #0)
      Major:   MEDIATYPE_Video {73646976-0000-0010-8000-00AA00389B71}
      Subtype: MEDIASUBTYPE_MPEG2_VIDEO {E06D8026-DB46-11CF-B4D1-00805F6CBBEA}
          bFixedSizeSamples:    TRUE
          cbFormat:             136
      Format:  FORMAT_MPEG2_VIDEO {E06D80E3-DB46-11CF-B4D1-00805F6CBBEA}
      VIDEOINFOHEADER2:
          rcSource:             (0,0,720,576)
          rcTarget:             (0,0,0,0)
          dwBitRate:            15000000
          dwBitErrorRate:       0
          AvgTimePerFrame:      400000
          dwInterlaceFlags:     0
          dwCopyProtectFlags:   0
          dwPictAspectRatioX:   0
          dwPictAspectRatioY:   0
          dwControlFlags:       0
      BITMAPINFOHEADER:
          biSize:               40
          biWidth:              720
          biHeight:             576
          biPlanes:             0
          biBitCount:           0
          biCompression:        0x00000000
          biSizeImage:          0
          biXPelsPerMeter:      2000
          biYPelsPerMeter:      55362
          biClrUsed:            0
          biClrImportant:       0
      MPEG2VIDEOINFO:
          dwStartTimeCode:      0
          cbSequenceHeader:     0
          dwProfile:            0
          dwLevel:              0

Media Files
                       General
                  ID = 0
            Duration = 00:59:57.536
             BitRate = 5 524 Kbps
              Format = MPEG-TS
                File = C:\Users\natha\Desktop\test.ts
            FileSize = 2 GiB
             BitRate = 5 524 Kbps
        BitRate_Mode = VBR

Video
                  ID = 301
            Duration = 00:59:57.179
             BitRate = 4 993 Kbps
        BitRate_Mode = VBR
            BitDepth = 8
              Format = MPEG Video
      Format_Profile = Main@Main
     Format_Settings = CustomMatrix / BVOP
             CodecID = 2
               Width = 720
              Height = 576
           FrameRate = 25.000
  DisplayAspectRatio = 16:9
          ColorSpace = YUV
   ChromaSubsampling = 4:2:0
            ScanType = Interlaced
           ScanOrder = TFF

Audio
                  ID = 302
            Duration = 00:59:57.430
             BitRate = 256 Kbps
        BitRate_Mode = CBR
              Format = MPEG Audio
      Format_Profile = Layer 2
             CodecID = 3
            Channels = 2
        SamplingRate = 48.0 KHz

General
                File = M:\Media\Video\TV Recordings\9 Channel 9 Sydney 2015-12-31 20-59\9 Channel 9 Sydney 2015-12-31 20-59 - Client Playback.jtv
            FileSize = 384 Bytes

FYI - While I can't test, I think it should should also work just fine with 264 for Video and other Audio Formats as the MPEG Transport Stream (TS) container can support these as well.

Thanks again,
Nathan
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 02:08:13 am »

Let me know if you find anything generically wrong with the batch file. It should be okay because it is using very basic batch commands, that should work from Windows XP through to Windows 10. I developed and tested it on Windows 10, then implemented it on Windows 7 with no change to any of the files I provided.

One thing to note is that I provided the GRF file for Graph Studio Next because I found it was a bit tricky to get it right. I originally intended each user to create their own GRF file so that it would absolutely work in their environment, but I found Graph Studio Next kept putting the full path name to the input file, instead of just the filename, which made the whole process fail with JTV files using the "Send To" command for any JTV file. The whole point of my solution is to create an easy way of doing the conversion without having to build a graph in Graph Studio Next for each set of recording files.

My GRF file just takes "InputVideo.jtv" from the current directory, and outputs "OutputVideo.ts" to the current directory.

The way to create the GRF file with just the file name as input is;
1. Put a copy of the Graph Studio Next executable in the same directory as a JTV recording file set.
   Note: Make sure the full path plus file name to your JTV files is less than 127 characters, or the GRF file may not work. See Update3 below.
2. Rename the existing JTV file to "InputVideo.jtv", or copy the original to "InputVideo.jtv".
3. Launch Graph Studio Next directly from there.
4. Drag and drop the "InputVideo.jtv" file to the Graph Studio Next window.
5. Delete the decoding and rendering filters automatically added to the graph, leaving the Splitter/Demux filter (MJTSReaderFilter.ax) in place.
6. Add the Multiplexer and Sink (file save) filter to the graph, and connect up the filters as per the image I posted. You will be asked to set the output file name. Set it to "OutputVideo.ts".
7. Go back to the Splitter filter, right click on it, select "Choose Source File...", then change the file name to just "InputVideo.jtv", to be consistent with the batch file.
8. If you didn't set the output file name in step 6 above, right click on the Sink filter and select "Choose Destination File...", and change that to "OutputVideo.ts".
9. Save the GRF file using the floppy disk icon or the "File>Save As Graph (.GRF)" menu option.
9. Change the name of your JTV file back to what it was originally, if you wish/need to.

For some reason I didn't twig to the above initially, and tried editing the GRF file to get rid of the full path. The file isn't editable. The above should work though, if you or anyone else needs or wants to change the file naming used or something.

DirectShow filters are still a mystery to me, mostly due to the obfuscation of using CLSID naming for all the filters, input and output types. Hence, magic. But I did manage to cast a little spell with this solution.  8)

Update1: You updated while I typed! Good to hear it all just works.  :D   It is quick, isn't it. That is why I wanted to remux and not convert. Much faster, and no loss of quality.
Update2: Oops, I forgot a step or two in the instructions above for creating the GRF file.
Update3: I tested the GRF creation steps above and kept getting errors trying to open the GRF file produced. While the GRF file can't be read easily by a human, the GRFX files is just an XML version of the GRF file and can be read easily. On doing so (Notepad++ is a great tool for viewing XML files) I found that the long path I had to my sample recording plus long file name was being truncated. Even though the input and output are being set to just a file name, with no path, the full path and filename of the sample being used is stored in the GRF file. It doesn't matter if that path and filename no longer exist, but if they are truncated, the GRF file fails to load correctly. There appears to be a 127 character limit on the full path including file name for the JTV sample used. Like I said, Graph Studio Next is a little flaky.

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
  • These are not the droids you're looking for.
« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2016, 11:36:04 am »

Hi Roderick,

I wanted to try out your conversion method for JTV files, but I can't get it to work.

I followed the instructions in your first few posts to the letter, but when I use the SendTo shortcut, GraphStudioNext immediately gives an error message: "REGDB_E_CLASSNOTREG (0x80040154) Class Not Registered. Load Failed. Try internal GRF parser? (decimal -2147221164)".

The options in the error dialog are to "Search online for error", "Show Graph Construction Report", "OK", and "Cancel". The first opens a web browser Google search, most of the results have something to do specifically with VirtualBox (which I don't have installed, AFAIK). "Show Graph Construction Report" and "OK" just cause "GraphStudioNext has stopped working". "Cancel" leaves GraphStudioNext running, but the window only shows the "InputVideo.jtv" block with no other filters displayed or connected to it.

So I tried the instructions in your July 4 post for building my own GRF, but when I drag-and-drop the InputVideo.jtv file onto GraphStudioNext, the resulting graph doesn't even have a "splitter/demuxer"/"MJTSReaderFiler.ax" like you described.

I tried inserting the "MJTSReaderFiler" manually, but GraphStudioNext then asks for a source filter, and I have no idea where to go from there.

Please help...

Aimhere

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2016, 04:24:44 pm »

Ah, the vagaries of DirectShow filters, and the fragility of Graph Studio Next!

I did see the sort of problems you are seeing when I did something wrong in the process. Usually it was that the GRF file had something in it that didn't match what I was doing. If you are using the 32 bit version of Graph Studio Next you could check which DS filters were installed, using the listing it shows. Given you tried to select the "MJTSReaderFiler" manually I assume you found that list and that filter. Did you see the Elecard filters in that list as well? Because you will need them in the solution I am about to direct you to.

Jmone has created a compiled version of my solution and posted it for us to try out. So far, it works perfectly for me. You will find it in this post: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107498.msg746546.html#msg746546

It is an improvement in that there is little setup except for downloading and installing the Elecard filters, which you should already have, and it now works from within MC using the right click menu and "Send To". No need to open a Windows Explorer session to do the conversion.

Have a read of that post, and the following posts. Take particular note that an anti-virus solution and Windows may not like the unsigned executable. But it is safe. So give that a try and if it works use that solution. If not, post back and we shall see if we can track down the problem.

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2016, 10:48:31 am »

Ah, the vagaries of DirectShow filters, and the fragility of Graph Studio Next!

I did see the sort of problems you are seeing when I did something wrong in the process. Usually it was that the GRF file had something in it that didn't match what I was doing. If you are using the 32 bit version of Graph Studio Next you could check which DS filters were installed, using the listing it shows. Given you tried to select the "MJTSReaderFiler" manually I assume you found that list and that filter. Did you see the Elecard filters in that list as well? Because you will need them in the solution I am about to direct you to.

Jmone has created a compiled version of my solution and posted it for us to try out. So far, it works perfectly for me. You will find it in this post: http://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107498.msg746546.html#msg746546

It is an improvement in that there is little setup except for downloading and installing the Elecard filters, which you should already have, and it now works from within MC using the right click menu and "Send To". No need to open a Windows Explorer session to do the conversion.

Have a read of that post, and the following posts. Take particular note that an anti-virus solution and Windows may not like the unsigned executable. But it is safe. So give that a try and if it works use that solution. If not, post back and we shall see if we can track down the problem.

I did try Jmone's compiled exe, but it pops up a console window that vanishes way too fast to read, and doesn't convert anything. So I tried manually running it from a regular console window (specifying the test InputVideo.jtv" file on the command line), and essentially got the same "class not registered" error.

I tried uninstalling the XMuxer Pro app, then re-installing it "as administrator", just to make sure those filters were really installed, but after testing, I got the same errors.

If I have GraphStudioNext running and click "Insert filters", I don't even see anything labeled as "Elecard". I can find the "MJTSReaderFiler" but if I try to insert it, it asks me to specify either a file path or a URL, and I don't know how to answer.

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2016, 12:20:04 pm »

SUCCESS!

I found out what the problem was. It seems that, while the installer for Elecard XMuxer Pro may physically install the DirectShow filters to your hard drive, it does not register them for use system-wide (in other words, ONLY XMuxer Pro knows about them).

I had to open an "elevated" command prompt (press the Windows key, type "cmd", right-click "cmd.exe" and "Run as administrator"), then enter these commands:

cd "\Program Files (x86)\Elecard\Elecard XMuxer Pro\Components"
regsvr32 empegmux.ax
regsvr32 ESF.ax

After that, both your original GraphFilterNext script and Jmone's compiled EXE work as intended.

This is a pretty critical step, so I think it ought to be added to the instructions for both methods...

Aimhere

(P.S. - there are a bunch of other DirectShow filters in the XMuxer Pro Components folder, but I found the only two needing system registration for JTV conversion were "empegmux.ax" and "ESF.ax". None of the others seem to be required.)

(P.P.S. - There is a tool by NirSoft, InstalledCodec, at http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/installed_codec.html. It was invaluable in finding that the Elesoft filters were not registered.)

[Edit: corrected path to Components folder.]

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2016, 04:09:14 pm »

I thought they did register during the install. It is possible I registered them using Graph Studio Next, which has that capability. I'll look into that later, as my power is about to be shut off for the day!

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2017, 11:03:54 pm »

Until supported JRiver functionality is available, try this: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php/topic,107498.msg746546.html#msg746546

Of course, that doesn't mean we don't need a JRiver version, because, for example, metadata isn't carried across to the TS file. The solution requires multiple manual steps to update the library and get the TS version up to spec. But the conversion is straight forward and works.

To Import and update the Meta Data of the TS Version try this:
- Convert your JTV to TS
- Select JTV Version(s) in a View (not in Television)
- File --> Export Playlist --> Select MPL Playlist & Output Range = Selection (it will create an MPL File)
- Open in a Text Editor and replace all "JTV" with "TS" --> Save --> Import the MPL

This should have imported the TS files into MC with all the same meta data as the Original JTV files.

I'm happy to script this up if there is enough interest so that the one action of using JTVtoTS will do this as well.
JRiver CEO Elect

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2017, 11:35:50 pm »

That is a good tip thanks Nathan.

A scripted version would be good. But we really need to get more people like Greynolds and Aimhere who use JTV to speak up to make it worth while. Otherwise, I sometimes wonder if it is just me who uses the JTV format!  :o

Maybe it is time for a Poll to see how many people use the JTV format. I suspect that it isn't many, although perhaps a lot of the non-technical use it by default.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #20 on: July 26, 2017, 04:03:19 pm »

To Import and update the Meta Data of the TS Version try this:
- Convert your JTV to TS
- Select JTV Version(s) in a View (not in Television)
- File --> Export Playlist --> Select MPL Playlist & Output Range = Selection (it will create an MPL File)
- Open in a Text Editor and replace all "JTV" with "TS" --> Save --> Import the MPL

This should have imported the TS files into MC with all the same meta data as the Original JTV files.

I'm happy to script this up if there is enough interest so that the one action of using JTVtoTS will do this as well.

Smart move. I'd go for that.

I was going to ask, "what's involved to setup MC to automatically run a JTV --> TS conversion at the end of a record job?"

Does your thinking above include consideration of that aspect?

What makes sense to me is to have an automatic post record process, where you set it up once and then it just works without further intervention. An option to delete the JTV source post successful conversion would be handy too.

EDIT: Ooh! Check question. Would Copying the metadata include the detail that registers the file as a TV recording, so that it shows up in the TV guide section? Should do but one to make sure that things appear to be seamless.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2017, 04:52:21 pm »

Hit a snag. The devs over at elecard have withdrawn xmuxer pro for download.

Found a copy over at cnet instead:
http://download.cnet.com/Elecard-XMuxer-Pro/3000-2140_4-82424.html
It shows the version number mentioned at the top, so should be right ... yep, worked fine.

Thanks guys.
MC31, Win10 x64, HD-Plex H5 Gen2 Case, HD-Plex 400W Hi-Fi DC-ATX / AC-DC PSU, Gigabyte Z370 ULTRA Gaming 2.0 MoBo, Intel Core i7 8700 CPU, 4x8GB GSkill DDR4 RAM, Schiit Modi Multibit DAC, Freya Pre, Nelson Pass Aleph J DIY Clone, Ascension Timberwolf 8893BSRTL Speakers, BJC 5T00UP cables, DVB-T Tuner HDHR5-4DT

greynolds

« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2017, 07:37:14 pm »

A scripted version would be good. But we really need to get more people like Greynolds and Aimhere who use JTV to speak up to make it worth while. Otherwise, I sometimes wonder if it is just me who uses the JTV format!  :o
Just to be clear, greynolds (me :D) doesn't normally use the JTV format.  I was willing to temporarily switch to it for testing purposes and would consider switching permanently if a convenient conversion process was available.  The conversion wouldn't have to be something that would automatically run after every recording, just something I could either run manually or setup to convert a batch for stuff I might want to use outside of MC.

astromo

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2017, 08:55:28 am »

... hmmm ... only 1 drawback.

jtv doesn't appear to deal with CC / subtitles.

From a simple, single test, I was able to extract subs from a .ts of a particular recorded programme using ccextractor but no dice with its .jtv counterpart.

A complete, integrated solution where both aspects of .jtv to .ts and subtitles would make sense for my crystal ball view of the future.

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2017, 10:17:05 am »

I will look into CC support again.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2017, 11:01:27 am »

Is there a max filesize that JTVtoTS will deal with?  I've used this before just to test it out and always did it with a 30 minute recording.  I now have a 4 hour baseball game (19 gig) to convert.  I right click, send to JTVtoTS, it starts and the .ts file grows to about 7.2 GB, the command prompt window continues to show more dots building up, but the ts file stops growing.  I let this go for hours a few days ago, then killed it.  Just freed up a bunch of disk space incase that was the issue, but am getting to the almost the same point.

Thanks!

Edit: Ran it again and now it's stalled at 5.3 Gb, so perhaps not related to size.  Is there a good method to get debug info out of the command line?

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2017, 07:04:18 pm »

At a guess I would say that there is a problem with the recording. Glitches, some audio problem, something like that. Does the recording play all the way through in MC okay?

I haven't run into any size issues with this solution, and I have converted 5+ hour recordings in the past. 19GB sounds a bit big even for a HD recording, based on my file sizes. Maybe there is something wrong with the file.

Some examples of the time remuxing takes on my HTPC, at 15% CPU loading and 100% hard disk throughput, specifications as per my signature below;
A 4 hour 15 minute recording 1440x1080i@25fps MPEG2 video, 6 channel AC-3 audio, 11.3 GiB file, was processed in 7 minutes 44 seconds.
A 3 hour 19 minute recording 720x576i@25fps MPEG2 video, 2 channel MPEG2 audio, 6.82 GiB file, was processed in 4 minutes 35 seconds.

As you can see, an 11GB 1080i file converts in under 8 minutes. So exactly what format is the file in? I guess a 1080p recording may get up to 19GB for 4 hours, given the 1080i above is half that size.

Also, can you confirm whether you are using the compiled version of JTVtoTS that I've linked to in the first post, or the batch file version I described above? Also, are you using 32 or 64bit MC, and if 64bit, have you switched to the 64bit compiled version of JTVtoTS? Ta.

The command line isn't going to give you any logging I'm afraid if you are using the compiled version, as that actually uses a different program underneath, Graph Edit Plus rather than Graph Studio Next. I don't think logging is turned on for that, and you can't turn it on for the compiled version. However, if you use the batch file method, or wish to manually create a DirectShow graph and convert manually as described above, then you can turn on logging in Graph Studio Next.

"File > Set Log File" in Graph Studio Next creates a simple text file log. I think I looked at it once or twice, and it wasn't really helpful, but maybe with an error it will provide some information.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2017, 09:52:43 am »

At a guess I would say that there is a problem with the recording. Glitches, some audio problem, something like that. Does the recording play all the way through in MC okay?
I haven't played it all the way through yet, but at first glance it seemed ok.  I'll try to see if I can watch it today.

I haven't run into any size issues with this solution, and I have converted 5+ hour recordings in the past. 19GB sounds a bit big even for a HD recording, based on my file sizes. Maybe there is something wrong with the file.

As you can see, an 11GB 1080i file converts in under 8 minutes. So exactly what format is the file in? I guess a 1080p recording may get up to 19GB for 4 hours, given the 1080i above is half that size.

It's actually a 720p recording.  Listed as 6 channel 16/48k audio.  Perhaps it's the audio that's making it so large.  I have to admit, my MC recordings are typically this large though, so I didn't even think that as odd.

Also, can you confirm whether you are using the compiled version of JTVtoTS that I've linked to in the first post, or the batch file version I described above? Also, are you using 32 or 64bit MC, and if 64bit, have you switched to the 64bit compiled version of JTVtoTS? Ta.

I'm using the precompiled exe version.  32 bit all around still.  Running in a Win7 VM and haven't bothered to setup a 64 bit play box yet.

The command line isn't going to give you any logging I'm afraid if you are using the compiled version, as that actually uses a different program underneath, Graph Edit Plus rather than Graph Studio Next. I don't think logging is turned on for that, and you can't turn it on for the compiled version. However, if you use the batch file method, or wish to manually create a DirectShow graph and convert manually as described above, then you can turn on logging in Graph Studio Next.

"File > Set Log File" in Graph Studio Next creates a simple text file log. I think I looked at it once or twice, and it wasn't really helpful, but maybe with an error it will provide some information.

I may try to attempt to use the batch file method if I can get something out of a log.  The fact that it's stopping at different lengths is strange to me.  If it were a file problem, I would expect it to get to the same spot every time before freezing.  I've done this recording a handful of times now and the file size is all over the place before it freezes (5.2 gb to 7.2 gb).

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #28 on: September 30, 2017, 10:22:40 am »

I may try to attempt to use the batch file method if I can get something out of a log.  The fact that it's stopping at different lengths is strange to me.  If it were a file problem, I would expect it to get to the same spot every time before freezing.  I've done this recording a handful of times now and the file size is all over the place before it freezes (5.2 gb to 7.2 gb).

Well.... In the process of doing this, I realized I didn't have the Elecard Filters registered.  I thought I had done that, must have missed it, but when I went through the steps, I did not get a conflict message and after doing so thought that was weird and now the precompiled version works on this file.  Wonder why that worked previously without those registered?  Problem solved - follow the directions :)

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #29 on: September 30, 2017, 04:32:55 pm »

Strange. Usually it won't start at all if it can't find the registered filters. Maybe something interfered with the registration in the registry, and broke it.

Anyway, all good so carry on!

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #30 on: October 01, 2017, 12:21:39 pm »

Strange. Usually it won't start at all if it can't find the registered filters. Maybe something interfered with the registration in the registry, and broke it.

Anyway, all good so carry on!

That must have been dumb luck...  I converted that one, then converted a 1.5 hour show without a problem, and now another 4 hour show is doing the same thing (getting somewhere between 5 and 8 Gb files before stalling).  I've tried this one about 4 times using the pre-compiled method, and now with the batch file method, same basic thing, got to 8 gb and the time dialog in Graph Studio Next was progressing, but the file had stopped growing in size.

The log file was blank though, so I'll need to figure out what's going on with that.

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #31 on: October 01, 2017, 03:43:19 pm »

Time to dig into some diagnosis.

Windows update?
Are the filters still registered? (Check using Graph Studio Next to see if they show up as selectable filters.)
Firewall changes?
Antivirus changes?
Anti-Malware changes?

Process Explorer to see what is running, and when it stops.
Process Monitor maybe, same as above. But that is more difficult to use.

I haven't used the JTVtoTS solution in a week or more, and I did have some trouble with converting a movie a while back, which I haven't gone back to try again yet. I'll try to get back to that later today and try it again. Maybe Microsoft has removed or broken some DirectShow functionality.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #32 on: October 02, 2017, 01:26:29 pm »

Time to dig into some diagnosis.

Windows update?
Are the filters still registered? (Check using Graph Studio Next to see if they show up as selectable filters.)
Firewall changes?
Antivirus changes?
Anti-Malware changes?

Updates have been installed, but nothing changed between the time it worked and when it didn't.
Filters still show as registered in GSN.
No changes to the firewall.
A/V is still off on my MC Server.

I'm wondering if it has to do with my local disk.  I moved the jtv and related files to my nas, and ran the pre-compiled to the nas via a mapped drive.  It worked (although insanely slower than when the files were local).  I'm going to try with another recording that way now, but it'll take a few hours, as opposed to the 10 minutes or so when it actually worked on the local drive.  I have 25 gb free on my local drive and trying to demux a 19 gb file.  I figured that was enough space, perhaps not.  But that wouldn't explain why it worked once and not another time.

I'll keep digging...

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2017, 03:50:50 pm »

Ah, disk space could be the problem then. I'm not sure that the remuxing all happens in memory without an intermediate temporary file step. It could do, but if it doesn't you will need at least twice the size of the original file in free space, because the process would require;

The original JTV file set.
Demuxed audio and video temporary files. (I haven't tried to see where these are stored, but I expect they would be in the Windows temporary directory, because they can't be in the JTVtoTS program directory.)
The converted file, which is usually just a little larger than the original file set.

While all three would only have to all exist for a short time, you will need the disk space for that short time. I might see if I can find any temporary files when I next use it.

hoyt

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2017, 09:05:01 pm »

The next 4 hour recording demuxed fine (again on the nas directly).  I'm not sure if it's just disk space though, I just freed it to about 45 gb free and had the same thing happen again on a 2 hour recording.  It certainly seems like it's something with this disk though.   I might setup another VM drive as a test later in the week.  Even though it's a ton slower, at least I know I can copy the files over to my nas and do it that way.

Is it possible to change the output directory of the file?  I suppose with the .bat file I could do that... I might try that (leaving the JTV, etc files on the local drive and setting the destination to my nas).

RoderickGI

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #35 on: October 02, 2017, 09:28:55 pm »

Yep, try that with the batch file version. Jmone created the compiled version and it doesn't take any parameters other than the input file name. I'm sure an output location could be created in the compiled version, with a default to next to the source file, but what we really want is for JRiver to create built-in remuxing functionality within the file conversion utility, rather than keep developing this. It wouldn't be hard, but...

jmone

• Administrator
  • I won! I won!
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2017, 12:10:40 am »

Yeah - All I do use the input file name and path for the output file (just with a different extension).... and given we are just entertaining ourselves (and the real JR Devs) while we wait for a real inbuilt option I don't think there is any-point polishing it any further.  It is good enough for now. 
JRiver CEO Elect
Pages: [1]   Go Up