INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: JRiver and Windows 10 television  (Read 3893 times)

douglaskeene

• Recent member
JRiver and Windows 10 television
« on: July 02, 2016, 06:54:56 am »

Hi all.

I was using JRiver and Ceton InfiniTV in windows 7 pro. I upgraded to Win 10 pro and despite some troubleshooting my Ceton InfiniTV with cablecards is not working. Should I expect this to work or will I go through countless troubleshooting to conclude that InfiniTV is not compatible with win10? Given windows' removing mediacenter, I think that windows does not want us watching television on the computer.

Are there supported devices to work with cablecards and jriver (or other software) that is compatible with win10?

Thanks
Doug

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
Re: JRiver and Windows 10 television
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:22:35 am »

Did you try Ceton for help on getting it working?  Try reinstalling any software that came with the tuner.  Try any viewing software that came with it.

douglaskeene

• Recent member
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 08:20:46 am »

Thanks, JimH, but the Ceton Website specifically mentions win7 and win8.1 pro with Windows Media Center support, but specifically does not address win10, nor does the website include FAQ about win10. Now that windows mediacenter is no longer supported, my fear is that TV watching in windows is not likely to be easy.

Are there supported hardware and software that condones cablecard-based viewing in win10? My Tivo is getting old and Tivo was sold, so I am not sure of the future for computer based video recording of television cable

Thoughts?
Doug

JimH

• Administrator
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2016, 09:26:50 am »

Try poking around another forum like AVSForum or Greenbutton.tv to see if anyone has found your tuner working with Win10.

tzr916

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2016, 09:58:53 am »

Which InfiniTV do you have? 6 ETH or PCI ?

I know that the Ceton Win 8.1 drivers do install and work on Win 10.
I have the 6 ETH working perfectly on Win 10.

Not sure about the PCI....
JRiverMC v32 •Windows 10 Pro 64bit •Defender Exclusions •ṈŘ 3rd party AV
•ASUS TUF gaming WiFi z590 •Thermaltake Toughpower GX2 600W
•i7-11700k @ 3.6GHz~5GHz •32GB PC4-25600 DDR4
•OS on Crucial P5 Plus M.2 PCIe Gen4 •Tv Recordings on SATA 6TB WD Red Pro
•4 OTA & 6 CableCard SiliconDust Tuners
•nVidia RTX2060 •XBR65Z9D •AVRX3700H •Fluance 7.2.2 [FH]
•SMP1000DSPѫeD A3-300[RSS315HE-22] •SPA300DѫYSTSW215[15-PRX8S4]

greynolds

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 07:37:46 pm »

This is the first I've heard of the Ceton tuners not working on Windows 10.

It would mean new tuners, but I can confirm that the SiliconDust HD Homerun Prime CableCard tuner works just fine on Windows 10 with JRiver.

douglaskeene

• Recent member
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2016, 08:34:09 am »

Thank you all for you help. I have the PCI version of InfiniTV. I will try reinstalling the 8.1 drivers. It seems, based on Windows removal of media center, that they do not want people watching TV in windows.

greynolds

« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2016, 09:40:44 am »

Thank you all for you help. I have the PCI version of InfiniTV. I will try reinstalling the 8.1 drivers. It seems, based on Windows removal of media center, that they do not want people watching TV in windows.
I really doubt Microsoft cares if we watch TV in Windows or not.  They just didn't want to continue supporting Window Media Center.  It was probably a bit of a headache to support with a relatively small percentage of overall Windows users using it (me being one of those who still uses it).

douglaskeene

• Recent member
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 04:40:39 pm »

Doesn't InfiniTV even if I get it to work in win10 require mediacenter for the programming guide?

greynolds

« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2016, 05:50:08 pm »

Doesn't InfiniTV even if I get it to work in win10 require mediacenter for the programming guide?
No, if you're using JRiver, there's no dependency on Windows Media Center.  One of the guide data options (the default one) in JRiver uses the same guide feed that Windows Media Center uses, but other options are available.
Pages: [1]   Go Up