INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: EPG in Standard View  (Read 2406 times)

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
  • These are not the droids you're looking for.
EPG in Standard View
« on: July 03, 2016, 11:56:55 pm »

When I'm in Standard View, the television program guide presentation is functional, but very bland and unappealing. I'd rather it look more like a normal program grid, as in Theater View (or like just about every television website program guide under the sun).

The columns in the guide window don't auto-size very well, so things like the channel names, program titles, and other info tend to get cut off (with ellipses "..."). The problem is especially bad if I select the "Recording rules" from the menu on the left, all of the columns start out way too narrow. I always find myself having to double-click the separators between the column headings to show the full column content. The program really ought to default to a more reasonable column size.

There doesn't seem to be any way to turn off the "Description" column in the main listing, which is kind of redundant, since the same info appears up above when you click on a show.

I wish there was a way to schedule a recording besides double-clicking an entry in the guide listing. I'd like to be able to just quickly set up a recording schedule for a given date-and-time and channel, without having to scroll through the listings to find the show.

And, is there any way to clear the TV Logs section?

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
Re: EPG in Standard View
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 09:14:03 pm »

I wish there was a way to schedule a recording besides double-clicking an entry in the guide listing. I'd like to be able to just quickly set up a recording schedule for a given date-and-time and channel, without having to scroll through the listings to find the show.

If you want to record a show without selecting the show from the guide, you need to use Record by time feature.  You can select any program in the guide, and click Record button, then choose "Record by time".  You need to select the correct channel, type in the correct program name, date and time and duration.

And, is there any way to clear the TV Logs section?

Not from within MC itself currently.  It is a good feature to add (and most likely will be added in MC22 soon).  Without it, your only way of clearing the log is to find the file and delete it.  The file is located at "C:\Users\[user]\AppData\Roaming\J River\Media Center xx\TelevisionLog.txt".  You should delete the file when MC is not running.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center

Aimhere

• Junior Woodchuck
  • These are not the droids you're looking for.
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 07:30:16 pm »

If you want to record a show without selecting the show from the guide, you need to use Record by time feature.  You can select any program in the guide, and click Record button, then choose "Record by time".  You need to select the correct channel, type in the correct program name, date and time and duration.

So, the only way to record a show without selecting from the guide is... selecting a show from the guide? ?

This seems non-obvious and requires an extra step... it really shouldn't be necessary to select a program in order to set up an arbitrary record time. I think it would be better for there to be a "Record by time" button right in the Television panel, opening the "Record by time" window directly. Sure, it wouldn't be able to fill in the program name automatically, but that's to be expected.

My main reason for wanting to do it this way is for the occasions when the program guide is outdated or just plain wrong. If I know (via another source) that there's a show I want to record at a certain date/time, but the nearest thing in the guide is a different show with a different title, start time, and duration, why would I want to open the "Record by time" window pre-filled with all the incorrect info, which I am going to have to change anyway? Just give me a BLANK form and be done with it!

Yaobing

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Dogs of the world unite!
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 09:45:13 pm »

When you are in the standard TV view, MC automatically selects the first program for you already.  So technically you do not need to select any thing (as an extra step).  Even if your program list is empty, the Record button is still available, except that in this case, the only available option is to record by time.  You will need to edit program name, date and time etc. anyway.
Yaobing Deng, JRiver Media Center
Pages: [1]   Go Up