INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Can't get new files to appear in the library  (Read 3798 times)

macdonjh

• Citizen of the Universe
Can't get new files to appear in the library
« on: July 04, 2016, 11:22:12 am »

I'm ripping some TV shows using MakeMKV.  The ripping is slow but successful (complex multiplex, whatever that means).  The files appear in the Finder, in the directory I made for them.  However, I can't get MC21 to recognize the new directory.  It doesn't appear in the Tree on the left side of the screen. 

I've run Auto Import on my Library twice, and tried a single folder Import without success. 

I tried closing my Video Library view and looking at my audio files and then reopening my video library view, just to refresh everything, but that didn't work either. 

Suggestions?

blgentry

Re: Can't get new files to appear in the library
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 11:28:15 am »

Are you using MC21.0.90 (the latest build)?  If so, it has a bug where it imports MKV files as Data instead of Video.  You can try to work around it by changing the Media Type to Video, but it doesn't seem to fully work.

I have personally reverted back to 21.0.83 and MKVs import correctly again.

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 11:33:19 am »

Are you using MC21.0.90 (the latest build)?  If so, it has a bug where it imports MKV files as Data instead of Video.  You can try to work around it by changing the Media Type to Video, but it doesn't seem to fully work.

I have personally reverted back to 21.0.83 and MKVs import correctly again.

Brian.

Brian, can you test some other video files as well?  I'm seeing a very similar video import bug in Linux that appears to affect .mp4's as well as .mkvs (all video types are often imported as data files instead of video files, but not always).  One key element is that the background auto-import seems to bring them in as data files (usually), but a manually started import brings them in correctly as Video files.  This is with the exact same files.  I'm curious if you're seeing the same thing on the Mac side or something entirely different.

This thread has some more details: https://yabb.jriver.com/interact/index.php?topic=105456.0

macdonjh

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 01:28:29 pm »

OK, I'm using version 21.0.80, but sure enough, the .mkv files are in Documents/Files.  Weird that it's happened only with these DVDs.  Other TV DVDs I've ripped have behaved properly.

How do I move them?

blgentry

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 01:37:47 pm »

OK, I'm using version 21.0.80, but sure enough, the .mkv files are in Documents/Files.  Weird that it's happened only with these DVDs.  Other TV DVDs I've ripped have behaved properly.

How do I move them?

I've had the same thing happen every now and then with a few files.  21.0.90 has made it happen with all MKVs.  Anyway, to "move" them, you want to change the [Media Type].

Go to the Documents view and find your files.  Highlight them all.  Open the Tag Action Window (Edit > Tag).  Now go find the [Media Type] field.  Change it from Data to Video.  You might want to change the [Media Sub Type] while you're here too.  Probably TV Show. 

Now go back to your video view where you expect to see them and they should be there.

Brian.

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 01:50:02 pm »

Brian, can you test some other video files as well?

I just re-upgraded to 21.0.90 for Mac.  I then imported 3 or 4 AVIs and 6 or 7 MP4s.  I did this import by choosing Tools > Import > Import a single directory .  All were imported as Data.

I removed those files from the library and then removed them from the removed database also.  Then I downgraded to 21.0.83 and ran the exact same test with the same files.  All were imported as Video.

So, this seems to affect at least MKV, MP4, and AVI on my system.

BTW, I skimmed through the thread you linked, but I didn't have the desire to read it too carefully.  I hope this test was useful in some way.

Brian.

mwillems

• MC Beta Team
  • "Linux Merit Badge" Recipient
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 02:05:31 pm »

This confirms that (more or less) the same video import issue is present on Mac and Linux, and that I'm not the only one seeing the behavior (no one else has reported it on the Linux side), so that's very helpful, thanks.

macdonjh

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 05:53:19 pm »

Retagging seems to have worked, thanks.  I thought it might be a tagging solution, but didn't notice the "media type" tag.  At least it seems to be an easy bug to work around.  I guess I'll wait for 21.0.95 before upgrading.
Pages: [1]   Go Up