INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Video Playlist Problem on Mono BDs  (Read 2446 times)

murray

• Citizen of the Universe
Video Playlist Problem on Mono BDs
« on: July 07, 2016, 06:03:54 am »

I have been using video playlists for a few months and everything works great.
Tonight I was putting a show together and the feature is mono, single channel only "Citizen Kane" bluray rip.
I make up a playlist of trailers before the feature, the trailers are always 2 channel stereo.
Everything plays fine as PCM 2.0 for trailers, but when the feature starts I have NO audio, the single channel mono DTS MA wont play, video is fine.

When I stop the feature and just play the feature only from the playlist (no trailers) the audio is there and works fine. The playlist wont go from 2 channel PCM to the single channel feature.
I have played this feature many times before and its fine, just wont play from the playlist with 2 channel video in front of it.

The playlists have always worked fine for me going from 2 channel trailers > Features that are 2 channel, 5.1, 7.1 etc etc etc
But not single channel mono films which there are a few...

What's up here please, why doesn't it work when the feature in the playlist is mono?
Very odd!

Is there a setting that will correct this please?

murray

Re: Video Playlist Problem on Mono BDs
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 04:15:49 pm »

Guys Ive just done some more experimenting this morning on this and have to report it does look like a bug when going from 2channel video to mono single channel video when using the playlist feature!

What I did to test and prove...

1. I used a number of other ripped single channel BDs (Casablanca) placed it in the playlist after a few two channel trailers, again the video will play of the feature but no audio.

2. As long as the feature is more than one single channel the playlist feature works fine as it always has, not if your feature is single channel.

3. I then re ripped Citizen Kane again and converted the single mono channel into two channel (L & R) mono, placed it into the playlist after the stereo trailers and bingo, finally the audio plays!

4. If you play the single channel features (Citizen Kane, Casablanca) direct from the Grid they always play fine with audio, yet if in a playlist they play video only and no audio.

5. I have tested changing DSP from 2 channel to source channel, it makes absolutely no difference, single channel mono films will not play audio when in a playlist.

Can someone please comment on this as its obvious something is really wrong here???

murray

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 05:59:30 pm »

I still cant seem to get anyone to help me with this, is it out of depth or something???

Hendrik

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 07:27:13 am »

I tried to replicate this, but it works just fine. No matter what I place in the playlist before a file with a Mono DTS HD track, all plays fine.
Do you maybe have some zone switching rules setup that might break things?
~ nevcairiel
~ Author of LAV Filters

murray

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 02:59:56 pm »

I tried to replicate this, but it works just fine. No matter what I place in the playlist before a file with a Mono DTS HD track, all plays fine.
Do you maybe have some zone switching rules setup that might break things?

That sounds very odd..... no I have nothing setup at all in my system with zones, its a dedicated HT room that's all.
Ive setup a number of single channel ripped BDs after stereo files and none of them will play audio, yet do when played alone.

What on earth can it be?

Hendrick can you tell me the BD mono file you used please and what stereo files you used before it, then I can test exactly the same thing my end?

blgentry

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 05:26:27 pm »

^ In that same vein, maybe you can make a 1 or 2 minute cut file from one of your mono BDs and send that to Hendrick to test with.

MKVToolNix will allow you to cut out any part of an MKV file and save it as a separate MKV file.

Also Murray, what is your sound setup?  What device are you using on the computer to connect to your HT system? ...and what device in your HT do you connect to?  A receiver, preamp, etc?  What brand and model?

Just trying to get a few more details so that Hendrick or someone else might further troubleshoot this.  Perhaps my first idea was best:  Some test files that Hendrick can replicate your tests with.

Brian.

murray

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 05:37:12 pm »

Hi Brian

Not sure if I can send Hendrick 1/2 mins from a mkv when he emphatically states there is nothing wrong, wouldn't that be rude of me?

I have the McIntosh MX160 http://www.mcintoshlabs.com/us/Products/pages/ProductDetails.aspx?CatId=hometheaterprocessors&ProductId=MX160 with two of there 7 channel amps. I use also the latest Lumagen Pro 2123, but this has nothing to do with audio as it passes through. http://www.lumagen.com/testindex.php?module=radiance21XX_details

So I come out of the JR PC HDMI into the Lumagen, one out goes direct to my JVC projector, the other out (which is used for audio only) goes direct into my Mac 160. As I say these mono files play 100% perfectly alone as long as they are not used in a playlist with stereo content. I can just put the feature (mono) alone in the playlist with nothing else, it plays audio perfectly.

What I had to do the other night for my group was to first convert the MKV of the feature to stereo, to just get it to play in my playlist for the group function. The terrible thing though is that program compresses to half the size. I have a work round to get this whole thing to work but its a terrible work round!

Regards
Murray
Pages: [1]   Go Up