INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: MC and Denon Heos 7  (Read 3403 times)

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
MC and Denon Heos 7
« on: July 11, 2016, 12:15:52 pm »

I've been running a Sonos Playbar and Sub with JRiver and really like the convenience of this wireless set up.  I wanted to upgrade the sound hopefully with the same type of simple set up and operation.  I was looking at getting a pair of Sonos Play 5 to pair them as a stereo set but saw the Denon Heos 7 units and thought they sounded a bit better.

I worked the last couple of days trying to get the Heos 7 to see my files and hope be set up as a DNLA renders/server like the Sonos so I could use MC and JRemote but I have not had any luck.  One key issue is that it appears the Heos do not support AIFF which is what my files are.  I wouldn't be opposed to transcoding my files to ALAC which is supported but I don't want to do that and find out I cannot get Heos to work with JMRC.

Does anyone have any experience and hopefully success in using Heos and running MC?  I am using a MacBook latest OS with MC latest version and have my library residing on external HDD connected via Thunderbolt.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

blgentry

• Citizen of the Universe
Re: MC and Denon Heos 7
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 05:38:17 pm »

Does the Heos show up in MC on the left hand side under Playing Now?

If so, you can just play straight to it as a zone.  That's the most straightforward way.  Then, I would probably set it up with a profile that sends PCM instead of the native format of the files.  Most DLNA renderers support PCM.

If you have more trouble with this, you might post about it in the Media Network section of the forum.  The people there will probably give you more help than you'd get here in the Mac forum.

Brian.

mwheelerk

• Galactic Citizen
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2016, 06:48:19 pm »

I think I discovered the first problem in the fine print (or at least as one of the topics in the FAQ).  The Denon Heos doesn't support (at this time) AIFF or DSD and since my entire library is AIFF it is a no go as I am not covering 2400 albums to ALAC just to work with these.  Back they go.
Believe In Music GR MI 1973 - 2002

JimH

• Administrator
  • Citizen of the Universe
  • Where did I put my teeth?
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2016, 07:01:27 pm »

MC can convert on-the-fly.  Explore the settings for the DLNA Server under Media Network.
Pages: [1]   Go Up