INTERACT FORUM

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Running JRiver and Plex side by side?  (Read 7488 times)

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
  • Citizen of the Universe
Running JRiver and Plex side by side?
« on: July 22, 2016, 10:08:27 am »

Is anyone doing this? Any challenges/issues with both programs accessing the same files?

I know this will bring a few 'why would you want to do that' questions, the answer is simple: Plex has a robust ecosystem of apps with the ability to cache content to devices. Right now to do everything I need I have to use:
* Multiple apps on iOS for different content: AirVideo HD/Apple Music/JRemote
* iTunes/Music Match
* A laptop running 24/7 whose only purpose is watching JRiver videos on the living room TV when I already have other devices that have Plex Apps on that same TV.

Bottom line is that Plex would simplify all distributed content down to just one App on each device/TV.

I can't see ever giving up JRiver for my main library management or for my media consumption on my primary A/V system, I just need a better solution for everywhere else.

bhampster

• World Citizen
Re: Running JRiver and Plex side by side?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 02:18:40 pm »

I run both on my HTPC and the both run at all times.

In fact... after my most recent nuke and pave of the system Plex and JRiver are the only 2 programs on the system apart from drivers.

I use JRiver to feed my dedicated HT.

I use Plex to feed anything or everything else. I have a plasma upstairs (with a Roku streaming stick)  and various iPod, iPhone, iPad, devices all over the place.

I actually wish those gizmos could just get by with JRiver directly but Plex works a lot better for those things. There's no contest.

(I haven't seen any problems... Sometimes I would like to get a separate machine to run Plex on though just to insure it doesn't bog down the system I actually care about.)

-Brian

Trumpetguy

Re:
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 10:15:27 am »

Done it for years, works well.

BartMan01

• MC Beta Team
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 09:52:05 pm »

Thanks for the confirmations.

TomSawyer

• Recent member
Re:
« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2016, 07:20:01 am »

Done it for years, works well.

Same here, along with Madsonic/Subsonic/Logitech Media Server at various periods.. Never an issue.

ivb

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2016, 10:10:26 pm »

do you use Plex to access MC TV recordings? If so, how do you auto-convert them from .ts to something plex readable?

famu97

• Junior Woodchuck
« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2016, 11:57:56 pm »

I'm running Plex Media Server (PMS) & MC side by side on the same HTPC and there are zero issues.  they use different ports so there's no conflict.  I use MC for all my mp3 organization & for streaming music since its by far more superior at the music than anything on the market.  I use PMS for streaming my movie collection around the house and any where I want to see a movie.  Plex is far superior than MC with transcoding and movie organization and the client apps available and the GUI interface leaves MC in the dust.  if MC could show some love to the Media Center part of their app which includes the 10ft tall GUI for big screen viewing, along with major rework of the gui on the client side, I would consider using jrmc as my one stop shop media center app. I discovered a long time ago that there's no single software that does it all well, when it comes to media center applications despite all the functions being there. I pick the best of breed for each type of media,  MC for music, Plex for movies, & Google Photos for pics. hell even my Synology NAS has better photos & movie apps.